• 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    And here is where I was coming from in my disagreement with Flightsimmer:

So if a person keeps commandments 5-9 (maybe 10), doesnt lie, cheat, treats others with respect, etc they are not good people (in a secular context) because they also dont keep commandments 1-4? :scratch:
    The question is what is good, and who decides the standard of good? My personal conviction is no one, without Christ, can be good enough to save themselves. But because of Christ we don't have to be; we just have to accept His gift.

With that said:
    It isn't my job (thankfully) to put anyone in Heaven or Hell. It's just my job to be a light and source of grace to other people.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    And Im going to continue to miss your point until you tell me what I missed. Note the distinct lack of purple.

You cant just say "you dont get it" and expect someone to "get it" just by telling them they missed it.

so....
    You don't have to be a Christian to have a moral compass, but it doesn't hurt.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am a Christian and I disagree with this.

That implies that without God you are immoral. Which is wrong.

I know good, honest people that are non believers. While rare, they do exist.
    There definitely are some people who live right that are not active in a Christian Church. Years ago, I dated a very clean living, kind, loving woman that was an Atheist. Not against God, just did not believe. Very rare.

Here is a comment by a founding Father:
    John Adams said, “Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” Morality and virtue are the foundation of our republic and necessary for a society to be free.

We can easily see that people lacking those virtues are all but impossible to live around.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The average life expectancy around 1776 was around 57 years old.
    So the average age of the founders was approximately 33.
    They had already lived more than half their lives to that point.
    ...and yet they had so much wisdom.

I know that a lot of the rights had been developed over the centuries, and spelled out in documents like the Magna Carta, but it is very seldom that I meet a young man with that kind of wisdom.

From that matter, it is very seldom I meet an old retired man with that kind of wisdom.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The average life expectancy around 1776 was around 57 years old.
    So the average age of the founders was approximately 33.
    They had already lived more than half their lives to that point.

There is a new line of thinking that somewhat debunks our old idea of an "average" age in days gone by.

The "average" age takes into account everyone's age at death. While this isn't inaccurate it is also somewhat misleading. Before the 20th century many human beings died in childhood due to a vast array of illnesses. This means that if you averaged the death of a three (3) year old with a 77 year old you would come up with an "average" life span of 40 (3+77=80/2 =40)

The truth is off from this. The "average" life span of those who made it to adulthood was much higher than previously thought. Infant mortality rates were at about 25% until 1900. (Link: https://www.verywellhealth.com/longevity-throughout-history-2224054 )

According to the above article the average life expectancy of both women and men in the Victorian era was 73 - 75, not significantly lower than today. This is for those who made it through the horrible trials of infant and child mortality.

Washington died at 67.
    Jefferson at 83.
    Franklin at 84.
    Adams at 90.
    Revere at 83.
    Hamilton at 48 (gunshot in duel.)
    Hancock at 56.
    Lee at 62.

So the average of some of the founding fathers is 71.62. (75 without the duel.)

Not bad for a bunch of upstarts that said "NO!"

Regards,

Doug

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Isaac Davis was 30.

You will not find his name as a signator to the "declaration of independence".

He had already taken action.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Paul Revere was around 40 when he set out on a horse to alert folks that the regulars were out.

Prescott was around 24 when he rode.. I would guess he was still smelling the nectar when he came upon the challenge.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Sam Whitmore was around 78 when he sent some of those ******* red coat regulars straight to Hell.

He was shot, bayoneted, and left for dead by the British excrement, after dispatching a few of them straight to Hell.

Then went on living.
    One of those tuff old birds.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Sam Whitmore was around 78 when he sent some of those ******* red coat regulars straight to Hell.

He was shot, bayoneted, and left for dead by the British excrement, after dispatching a few of them straight to Hell.

Then went on living.
    Apparently I missed a “post reply” button, I replied to one of your posts earlier. I don’t see it now. Somewhere between #30 and #33. Sorry.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

Then went on living.
    I've posted before on Hezekiah Wyman...he was considered too old to fight at Lexington and Concord......but as the lobster backs discovered, he was a deadly shot!

Top Bottom