• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Southwest of Indy
    My son has an Olympic Arms AR-15 carbine that has significant issues with feeding ammo. Comparing his to a new one, we can see that apparently the feed ramp(s) on his went machined appropriately, so the nose of the bullet gets hung up on a sharp edge. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem and, if so, how did you go about fixing it? Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Southwest of Indy
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to working on the polishing soon Oh my God! An AR-15 and a Dremel tool... that doesn't spell disaster! I will also contact Oly and see if they can help. My guess is, it's been too long for them to do anything now... without forking out the $$$.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Olympic Arms AR's, have a life time warranty. If you start polishing, you could void that warranty. Do you have any pictures of the feed ramps?

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i wouldnt polish unless i saw a bur, then i would do no more then just smooth the bur, dont go wild and change angles of the feed ramp, it might be a rough or dirty chamber, bad ammo, bad mag, problum with buffer or recoil spring,...... dont just assume its the feed ramp.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Best to let the factory handle the fix and you for sure don't need a Dremel. If you choose to do the feed ramp it can be done neatly and in a few minutes with a small, fine "rat tail" file.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Kind of agree with Palerider - try different mags and ammo. Also make sure all the ammo is seated to the back of the magazine.

Also, has anything been done to the gas system? Has the gas block been replaced or moved? Bad gas recirculation will definitely turn your AR into a single shot.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Southwest of Indy
    Just a bit too late!

Well, I didn't get to my son in time with the info that the Oly has a lifetime warranty and not to mess with it. Too late! He had already taken a rotary tool to it. Fortunately, he a machinist, so he knows what he's doing. After looking at his work, I'd have to say he did a pretty darn good job of getting the feed ramp up to where it should've been when it left the factory. He took it out tonight and fired 30rds through a Pmag and another 30rds through a USGI mag. Not one single malfunction! Apparently, this particular gun slipped through Oly's quality control because you can clearly see that they missed the necessary machining on the feed ramp. Hopefully the work he did won't void his warranty should he need to fall back on it in the future.

Here are some pictures...

Brand new Oly feed ramp:
    Oly%20Arms%20Feed%20Ramp%20NEW%20EDITED-L.jpg

My son's Oly feed ramp BEFORE (note the lack of machining for the feed ramp and where the nose of the bullet has been hitting):
    Oly%20Arms%20Feed%20Ramp%20BEFORE-L.jpg

My son's Oly feed ramp AFTER:
    Oly%20Arms%20Feed%20Ramp%20AFTER-L.jpg

Who knows, maybe he'll be a gunsmith when he grows up. Oh right, it's too late... he's already 26! :D

Thanks again for all your responses.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom