• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I sure know lots of people who fit the mold on this one. The democrats of 1840 were vastly better than their latter day counterparts and their republicrat buddies across the aisle. Maybe both wings of the Boot On Your Neck Party could adopt this as their platform. Ah, who am I kidding. None of them believe anything close to this.

via Nolan Chart

During a recent bout of what I like to call hard-cord web-research (Ms. Bridget calls it by another, less printable term) I stumbled upon the Platform of the Democratic Party for the election of 1840, consisting of nine planks. Wondering if the Democratic Party had evolved much in the last 170 years, I began to read.
    After almost every plank, three thoughts kept racing into my mind. First, Hey, I totally agree with that; and second, I wonder what President Obama and the democratic leadership would think about this, third, this stuff is too conservative for main-steam Republicans, much less Democrats! Apparently, a Constitutional-libertarian is the same as an 1840 Democrat. I have numbered and bolded each plank of their platform, and made what I think are some quite clever comments on each. Peruse the planks below and see where you stand.
    1. Resolved, that the federal government is one of limited powers, derived solely from the constitution, and the grants of power shown therein, ought to be strictly construed by all the departments and agents of the government, and that it is inexpedient and dangerous to exercise doubtful constitutional powers.
    First off, what does "Resolved." mean? Evidently, way back in 1840, they actually voted on the planks to be included in the party's platform, giving the people an actual say in what their party stood for. Secondly, no, I didn't make any of this up! Can you believe that last part? {it is inexpedient and dangerous to exercise doubtful constitutional powers} Wow! Haven't Democrats been saying that very thing lately? Third, I feel myself wanting to automatically agree with anyone speaking of the "limited powers" of the federal government. Fourth, the language is so superior and correct that my word processor's spell checker is feeling a bit deprived.
    2. Resolved, that the constitution does not confer upon the general government the power to commence and carry on, a general system of improvements.
    Bingo! Two for two. So these democrats are saying that we shouldn't try to stimulate the economy by funding road improvements not really needed, and putting up an expensive little sign proclaiming who and what had happened to the road? A Democrat would never spend taxed money on improvements to stimulate the economy or on a mandated health-care system; they would wisely recognize the economic folly of any such project, not to mention its unconstitutionality.
    More goodness at the source.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Today they adhere to 10 Planks.

1. Abolition of private property and the application of all rents of land to public purposes.

2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.

4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.

5. Centralization of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.

6. Centralization of the means of communications and transportation in the hands of the State.

7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the state, the bringing into cultivation of waste lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.

8. Equal liability of all to labor. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.

9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries, gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of population over the country.

10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Today's modern Dem party can be traced to Jefferson, though it resembles nothing like the party of 20 years ago, let alone 200 years ago. And Jefferson was a staunch anit-federalist to the point of almost being ridiculously so. His views of what America should be in perpetuity arguably demonstrated a poor grasp of how to maintain a strong sovereign nation in the face of constant geopolitical opposition.

Ironically, Jeffersonians were contemporaneously called republicans by the federalists.

What's in a name?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Today's modern Dem party can be traced to Jefferson, though it resembles nothing like the party of 20 years ago, let alone 200 years ago. And Jefferson was a staunch anit-federalist to the point of almost being ridiculously so. His views of what America should be in perpetuity arguably demonstrated a poor grasp of how to maintain a strong sovereign nation in the face of constant geopolitical opposition.

Ironically, Jeffersonians were contemporaneously called republicans by the federalists.

What's in a name?

Yet the size of government grew threefold under Jefferson. Jefferson the writer was different than Jefferson the President.

Sometimes we forget that history is not soundbites, snippets and quotes.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The demoratic party of today has been infected an takin over by left wing Marxist.
    And they are working on the republican party now, known as progressive's. John F. Kenedy wouldn't have a chance in todays democratic party, He was pro-life, a Veteran, bet he liked guns too....I could vote for a guy like that, todays democrats make JFK look like a hardcore conservative republican. I wish we could get rid of all dems. an rep. an just find some good people that love America an their fellow man...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yet the size of government grew threefold under Jefferson. Jefferson the writer was different than Jefferson the President.

Sometimes we forget that history is not soundbites, snippets and quotes.

Different? I don't think so. Unscrupulous? With out a doubt.

And I didn't forget.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Today they adhere to 10 Planks.

1. Abolition of private property and the application of all rents of land to public purposes.

2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.

4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.

5. Centralization of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.

6. Centralization of the means of communications and transportation in the hands of the State.

7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the state, the bringing into cultivation of waste lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.

8. Equal liability of all to labor. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.

9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries, gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of population over the country.

10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production.

Are those Republican or Democrat positions?:dunno:

Top Bottom