• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you shoot your handgun with one or both eyes open & why?

• Total voters

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    OK, with a scope I close my left eye, with a holo sight or red dot on a rifle both eyes are open. I feel I am more accurate shooting a handgun with both eyes open. It takes a while to get use to this but for me it is the only way to go. Better depth perception, wider field of view and let's face it we don't walk around with one eye closed. I often wondered what happens in an actual self defense situation. Does the shooter even remember if he closed one eye or not?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My eye's can't decide who's in charge when I leave them alone by themselves so I decide and close the left one. If I'm behind a rifle and can take my time and blink the left one a few times I can train the brain to pick the one it wants but pistol is too far away from my face to make it work.

And I want the burglar in the dark scenario to go well so I train like I think I'm gonna have to fight. Under stress I don't want my cranium trying to figure out which sight picture to use.:rolleyes:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was raised with closing one eye, did it for skeet, rifles, and pistols. I taught myself to use both eyes open (which was tricky, left eye dominant and right handed).

I'm glad I did. You can pick up anything, aim, fire. I can get on my target quicker (especially handgun), I can focus better, and overall I just like it more.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was raised with closing one eye, did it for skeet, rifles, and pistols. I taught myself to use both eyes open (which was tricky, left eye dominant and right handed).

I'm glad I did. You can pick up anything, aim, fire. I can get on my target quicker (especially handgun), I can focus better, and overall I just like it more.

I am cross dominant the same way you are too. Made it difficult to get any good at shooting archery instinctive with a re curve.

I just started shooting pistol again in over 15 years. Now I require reading glasses to read, do close up work, etc. I am having a hard time with target acquisition, let alone picking up the front blade. I am hoping different sights and practice will help.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Both eyes open is ideal. Sometimes however, depending on the shot that needs to be taken, and the circumstances surrounding the shot, it would be beneficial to close the non-dominant eye.

But I'll be honest, I've never closed an eye in force-on-force (that I could later recall), and have only seen my front sight a couple of times.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I close one eye if I'm using magnified optics, otherwise it's both eyes open.

As far as actual self defense situations, I had the good fortune of having a laser installed on my handgun less than 24 hours prior, so both eyes were open.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Both eyes open. It's easier for me to track moving targets that way. Better peripheral vision. With scope, aperture, or open handgun sights my eyes feel more relaxed and less eye strain.

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    As with others I'll use one eye with my rifle since I can take my time but what I encounter with my pistol is I'm right eye dominant-right handed and the problem is my right eye is the worst of the two. My glasses do their part but there's still a noticeable difference so I'm still adjusting to two eyes open.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    It might be too early to call this one.

So far the "eyes" have it. It really makes sense, we don't really do much with just one eye. Outside of looking through a rifle scope, telescope or microscope I can't think of anything we do with one eye closed. Why give up 50% of your field of view when in a life or death situation. I'd be shocked to find out any real shooting incident where the shooter closed one eye.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I close one eye ONLY when using a scope. Other than that it seems to disorient me a little bit. Not to where I cant shoot, just the fact that its different and takes away a little bit of situational awareness. I just thank Uncle Sam for that one. Two eyes open is just much much much more natural for me than one eye closed.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    Depends. If im shooting to hit a small dot and taking my time then one eye open. If im shooting for real life practice then both are open. This is with handgun. With rifle always one eyed.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Have been working on making the transition to both eyes open for about 4 weeks I think.
    It gets easier everyday, there are still times though when I have to think before getting the sight picture instead of things being automatic.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have and use an astronomical telescope. I use both eyes but ignore what my left eye sees since it is not looking into the eyepiece. the result is psychological but it still works, the brain is fooled into seeing a full view as if both eyes were seeing the subject. It's a very common method of viewing with a telescope. I guess it rolls over to my shooting, both of my eyes are open but I am only seeing what the right eye sees.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I shoot my pistol better 2 eyed - my rifle 2 eyed with reflex sight or iron sights - 1 eyed with a scope - anything magnified gets too disorienting 2 eyed

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Keeping both eyes open is preferred. As mentioned previously this offers better peripheral vision and target tracking. It also helps with depth perception and balance. The more light the brain receives, the better the information you have to figure out what's going on and what to do.

As with many things, you can train yourself to do this. It just takes time, patience and persistence.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I am what I call "forced cross-dominant". I am right handed and naturally right-eye dominant, but thanks to a car accident on SR67 right at the 4-lane to 2-lane merge, I damaged the retina in my right eye, which has ruined my detail vision on that side. Because of this, for rifle/scope work I have to shoot left handed. For pistols I am now ambidextrous, but still mainly carry and shoot right-handed. I still have good peripheral vision in my right eye, but the loss of the ability to see details in the optical center of my vision is a mixed blessing of sorts :n00b: in that I can now keep both eyes open, and maintain better peripheral vision.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Both eyes open for combat shooting and anything with iron sights or red-dot sights.
    Faster target acquisition and better field of view around me for better situational awareness.
    One eye open only if using magnified optics for precision shooting.

Top Bottom