• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the best answer here.

But let's say for giggles we had the opportunity to choose.

I personally am going to mix things up here and throw out that a semi auto rifle chambered in .22 win mag would be extremely usefull. It is powerful enough to take down game for food and at the right ranges, it will certainly inflict big damage at the right spot to a person. It is quiet enough suppressed that it makes for a nice medium range (100-150 yard) sniper.

If that doesn't fit your taste, then for all intents and purposes, a piston driven AR cambered in .300 blackout is superb.

Don't like that? Well then, take along an anzio 20mm. who care about cost, ammo, and life? Just scare away everyone with a single shot :draw:

Suppress .22Lr is perfect grey man. Pistol or long gun.

.22mag is a good all around choice. I prefer the .17HMR but that is JMHO. The .17 is rough on small game.

.223 is an all purpose rd. in the AR or a decent bolt gun. We have annihilated a few Yotes with this round.

.308 is a heavy hitter capable of killing a car. Aluminum engine blocks in modern vehicles are no match for this round.

Again....use what you have and get stocked up with the supply's to run it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe the one with the longest track record for use in SHTF?
    AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg

Seriously, look at pretty much everywhere that civilized society has collapsed in the last 50 years, and look at what the locals are armed with.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    hunting, battle, and everything in between may be of major concern when the trusty rifle is slung over your shoulder when SHTF.
    so......
    lets hear some opinions on some good "all encompassing" rifles that can do the job, and do it well.
    things to discuss, price, caliber, maintenance, dependability, etc.
    :patriot:

This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZSr8um-nK0

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Depends on where you live and the availability of ammunition in that area after **** goes south.

Its hard to beat a suppressed 22lr rifle. Then again its hard to beat a modular AR15 or an AK that will shoot under any condition. Best to have all three or one person with each one

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    If you can afford one: AK, AR, M1A, M1 Garand, H&K MP5. My champagne diet with a beer allowance: Mosin Nagant 91-30. Ammo is cheap, deadly, a throw down to pick any of the above. With a bayonet installed over 5' long, enough to do some serious damage.
    Ruger 10-22. Lots of extras available, can scope easily, and lightweight. A hit or two with a 22lr instead of a miss with a 223 or 7.62, then didi out of the zone. Many out there if parts are needed.

blazer1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    South Bend
    FAL with 30 rnd. mags hard hitting good for everything but small game. adjustable gas system will shoot about anything piston driven whats not to love.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Is this an end of world type scenario we're talking about here? If thats the case, its definitely going to be bolt action. The fewer moving parts and internals the better.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Suppress .22Lr is perfect grey man. Pistol or long gun.

.22mag is a good all around choice. I prefer the .17HMR but that is JMHO. The .17 is rough on small game.

.223 is an all purpose rd. in the AR or a decent bolt gun. We have annihilated a few Yotes with this round.

.308 is a heavy hitter capable of killing a car. Aluminum engine blocks in modern vehicles are no match for this round.

Again....use what you have and get stocked up with the supply's to run it.

Ya know, this is probably the best group of calibers to stock up on. Straight to the point, easy to attain with regard to popularity, and a plethora of guns to use em with. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

10/22 Ruger, I can carry a 1000 rounds in my front pockets

I just wished the 10/22 wasn't so pricy compared to others :dunno:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Am I staying put? 308 /30-06
    Am I on patrol? .223 /ar15 /ak
    Am I hiking to Texas? .223 single shot / with. 22 chamber adapter...and a suppressor ...and a large caliber hand gun for up close and personal.
    Did I outlive the madness and need something easy to reload ....30-30 (wheel weights +bees wax + graphite + black powder + primers)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ya know, this is probably the best group of calibers to stock up on. Straight to the point, easy to attain with regard to popularity, and a plethora of guns to use em with. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

I just wished the 10/22 wasn't so pricy compared to others :dunno:

I have a 10/22 take down for the BOB. 3 mags. Threaded barrel and a decent enough optic. It has its own bag with enough compartments for the optic, mag and a few hundred rounds. Enough space for a can as well and it will run on sub-sonic. Perfect SHTF long gun.
    Yes, a bit pricey compared to other offerings but this one fills the bill.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Best make sure you have a good knife or two first. You can cut a steak with an AR15, but I swear you gotta hit that sucker just right.

Top Bottom