• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Ok, I have a question about online gun buying. Obviously when you buy a gun, it has to be shipped to an FFL. So say I want to buy a gun on Gunbroker, and Jim Bob's gun shop is the closest FFL to me. Do I need to let Jim Bob's gun shop know that I have bought a gun and want to use them as the FFL transfer? Or do I just give the person I purchased the gun from the info of Jim Bob's gun shop, and go from there?

I'm just curious how this whole process works. Every once in a while, something strikes my fancy on there, and if I ever did pull the trigger on a buy, I wanted to know what to do. Thanks guys!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Ok, I have a question about online gun buying. Obviously when you buy a gun, it has to be shipped to an FFL. So say I want to buy a gun on Gunbroker, and Jim Bob's gun shop is the closest FFL to me. Do I need to let Jim Bob's gun shop know that I have bought a gun and want to use them as the FFL transfer? Or do I just give the person I purchased the gun from the info of Jim Bob's gun shop, and go from there?

I'm just curious how this whole process works. Every once in a while, something strikes my fancy on there, and if I ever did pull the trigger on a buy, I wanted to know what to do. Thanks guys!

I always let the FFL dealer know that I'll be buying guns & sending their FFL to the seller of the gun, My FFL holder charges me $25, $5 is for the background check

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    You have to let the FFL dealer that your having the gun sent to, know about the transaction, because he/she has to send a copy of their license to the seller you bought the firearm from. Gunbroker has a tab you can click on and find dealers in your area that will do Gunbroker transfers.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    You have to let the FFL dealer that your having the gun sent to, know about the transaction, because he/she has to send a copy of their license to the seller you bought the firearm from. Gunbroker has a tab you can click on and find dealers in your area that will do Gunbroker transfers.

^^^^^ This. The only exception being if you buy multiple guns from the same place and they keep your dealer on file. For example I buy guns off cheaperthandirt.com from time to time when I can't find them anywhere else, and they keep a FFL friendly to me in their file, so I just say im using XXXX as my ffl durring checkout and it gets sent directly to him, without him having to do anything. Always a good idea to give the FFL a call and let them know something is coming for you if you ever have a situation set up like that though.

Just my :twocents:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    My FFL lets me keep a few copies of his license to fax for a purchase. I always call him asap and let him know what's coming.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Jay has it right. It's good manners to ASK if it's OK to have items shipped to him or her, then a heads up call or visit any time you have something coming. It's just common sense to establish what you'll be charged up front.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    if you buy a gun from a fellow indiana resident they can just send it directly to you. no need to go through an FFL at all.
    Woh!! Wait a minute, you better check the laws a little more carefully! ALL GUNS MUST BE SHIPPED TO A FFL REGARDLESS OF ORIGIN! Ftf transactions are the only way to get around the ffl

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Unless I am overlooking it, it doesn't say anything about shipping rifles intrastate to/from non-FFLs.

"Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.
    A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting."

Also, the way I read this is that IF I were to have a warranty issue that it must be sent by an FFL, is that the experience u have had with warranties or recalls?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Unless I am overlooking it, it doesn't say anything about shipping rifles intrastate to/from non-FFLs.

"Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.
    A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting."

Also, the way I read this is that IF I were to have a warranty issue that it must be sent by an FFL, is that the experience u have had with warranties or recalls?

You're right, it doesn't say anything about intrastate, because fed law doesn't cover that. Also, on warranty issues, since the manufacturer has an FFL, you can send it directly to them. When they're done with it, they can also send it or a replacement back to you directly. Even for custom work, you can send it directly if the person you're sending it to has a FFL, and after the work is done they can send it directly back. And, yes, I have personal experience with doing just that.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy

You're right, it doesn't say anything about intrastate, because fed law doesn't cover that. Also, on warranty issues, since the manufacturer has an FFL, you can send it directly to them. When they're done with it, they can also send it or a replacement back to you directly. Even for custom work, you can send it directly if the person you're sending it to has a FFL, and after the work is done they can send it directly back. And, yes, I have personal experience with doing just that.
    And what if it a handgun? Specifically states FFL to FFL. Sounds like I can only ship a long gun to the factory and receive a long gun in replacement.
    And I will have to go through IN laws about rifle intrastate shipping.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    And what if it a handgun? Specifically states FFL to FFL. Sounds like I can only ship a long gun to the factory and receive a long gun in replacement.
    And I will have to go through IN laws about rifle intrastate shipping.

That is refering to postal regulations only, not that you can't ship it by another carrier. You might want to check the FAQ ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons on the BATF's website, it covers your questions.

Top Bottom