• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So the new contract set up that my wife's employer has started using actually rewards a masters degree to the point where its worth getting... about 3,000 a year more over a bachelors now, but after 22 years on the job its a 14,000 a year difference. So we are looking for recommendations for the easiest to use program. We wont be rushing to get it asap because family will still come first, but would like to start working that towards that direction.

What does INGO have to advise?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My wife tried WGU online and didn't like it, she's attending Indiana Wesleyan currently and likes the program quite a bit. I'd recommend looking into IWU.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Strictly online courses require DISCIPLINE, very tough environment without the interpersonal feedback you get in a traditional classroom setting. I'm currently in an online only program and cuss it regularly! Other than that I got nuttin'.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So the new contract set up that my wife's employer has started using actually rewards a masters degree to the point where its worth getting... about 3,000 a year more over a bachelors now, but after 22 years on the job its a 14,000 a year difference. So we are looking for recommendations for the easiest to use program. We wont be rushing to get it asap because family will still come first, but would like to start working that towards that direction.

What does INGO have to advise?

I've been an on-line student for what seems like forever. A lot of traditional schools have on-line classes now too, no sure if you could get a degree with all online classes.

I've been a Columbia Southern student since 2004 (not continuously, a few breaks in there) and I'll finish my MBA in May. I picked up a graduate-level certification along the way from Nebraska-Methodist, both used Blackboard but were the same but different.

CSU has term classes (8 week), with GI Bill I have to take term. They also have self-paced classes, 10 weeks to finish but I did my undergrad classes in 6 weeks usually.

Read books, do papers, have discussions, sound like college? Same stuff, just online.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I am interested in following this thread. I finished my MBA at an Executive Program which was 2 year program, while working full time. This required around 5 hours of travel weekly.

It appears that on-line and on-line with classroom is where education is heading. These programs were not as available 25 years ago.

I am interested in how the on-line education translates to the work place compared with the resident version.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Some employers hold online degrees in less esteem than other degrees. If OP's wife isn't in the job market, it probably won't make a difference but it could narrow options if/when she job shops. Right or wrong, I might know a fella like this. :whistle:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Some employers hold online degrees in less esteem than other degrees. If OP's wife isn't in the job market, it probably won't make a difference but it could narrow options if/when she job shops. Right or wrong, I might know a fella like this. :whistle:

One reason why if a person chooses an online degree, it may be worth considering a school that has an established brick and mortar campus. IWU, for instance.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I finished my MBA at an Executive Program which was 2 year program, while working full time. This required around 5 hours of travel weekly.

Did the same. Company paid for it and didn't require an agreement to stay afterwards. I did stay... until being laid off a few years later, but figured at least I got a great benefit out of them before leaving.

One class at a time - most classes were I think about 10 weeks long. Was great to interact with classmates (95% were also working professionals) one day a week and then read, write papers and/or complete projects the other 6 days of the week. Being taught by former and current executives was a real treat. So much better than by academics who were never in the real world.

Kids were young, was traveling a LOT for my job at the time, but I'd never trade those 26 months for anything (except the 20 lbs I gained by eating like crap and never getting enough sleep LOL).

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Last week i signed up for yet another class this coming spring. They gave me the option of online or classroom. As much as i do like Blackboard, id rather be in a classroom setting.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Masters in what discipline? MBA?

There are some really good schools offering 100% online now. Many programs offer credit for work experience.

In addition to the ones mentioned up thread, another example I am familiar with is Southern New Hampshire (SNHU).

Be cautious of the fully-online, for-profit schools. There has been a LOT of controversy over "diploma mills", and these schools are really taking a hit. Some deservedly. Well established colleges/universities with strongly supported online programs may be a better investment (IMHO).

BTW: This is exactly my industry. Happy to dig into as much detail as you can stand.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    What does she want to study? Find the best program in the state for that field and go there. As others have said, brick and mortar schools are best, online only are usually shady (WGU is the exception, but it isn't as highly regarded).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Short online college rant. Concord Law School- a couple of years ago they were advertising a master of arts in law...a degree that's as useless as teets on a bull. Now they are advertising an "Executive" J.D.- "for business executives who want the advantage of legal knowledge without the hassle of the bar exam." In other words, 3 years of part time school that will not qualify you to take the bar exam most places. They do have a JD program where you can take the bar in California...one of the few states that does not require graduation from an ABA accredited law school in order to take the bar exam.

I won't call it a scam. I'm sure they'd hire lawyers who went somewhere else to sue me.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't think it matters much where she gets it from in the eyes of her employer.... WSU is at the top of our list at the moment. She is school teacher and up until this year it had not mattered if she had a masters or not, but the state if finally getting their **** together and coming up with a defined pay scale... she has been on a pay freeze making about 30,000 a year for almost 5 years now. with the new system she stands to make at least 3,000 a year more but the longer she teaches the greater the benefit of the masters.

The only thing I got from her really is that she didn't want to do a masters in admin, but wanted to focus more on reading since that is what the heavy focus is on in the curriculum these days.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't think it matters much where she gets it from in the eyes of her employer.... WSU is at the top of our list at the moment. She is school teacher and up until this year it had not mattered if she had a masters or not, but the state if finally getting their **** together and coming up with a defined pay scale... she has been on a pay freeze making about 30,000 a year for almost 5 years now. with the new system she stands to make at least 3,000 a year more but the longer she teaches the greater the benefit of the masters.

The only thing I got from her really is that she didn't want to do a masters in admin, but wanted to focus more on reading since that is what the heavy focus is on in the curriculum these days.

That makes sense. My sister was a teacher and got her masters from IUSB, but that was in the days before online degrees.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Considering she is a teacher I would consider one of the large negative implications of her getting her masters.

It makes her virtually "unhireable". What do I mean by that? My wife and several relatives are also school teachers. One thing I've noticed in the teaching world is that people with master's degrees have a VERY hard time finding a job. In most instances even though the admin/HR will pay more for a master's, the reality is that the school does NOT want to pay more for a teaching position that can be filled by somebody without the master's. Therefore a non-master's teacher will be chosen over the master's teacher in many instances.

I know it sounds completely bass-ackwards, but it's the way it is. So for the time being, it will gain your wife additional income, but in the long-run, if you ever relocate, budget changes dictate personnel changes in her school and she is let go, etc, she may find it difficult to find another teaching job. The only thing I think she may have going for her is years of experience. While it may be hard to find a job with a master's degree I think that's primarily an issue for lesser experienced master's holders. Her years of experience may help to offset the negative of the masters...

JMHO... my wife is a teacher and has no desire to get her masters because she knows several people with master's degrees working $8/hr teacher's aide positions because the school can't afford to pay them the higher rate the master's commands if they were brought on as contracted teachers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ah, a Masters in Education.

The field seems to be flooded (locally, at least) with M. Ed. - Admins right now. Several friends (or their spouses) have the degree, and are having a hard time in the local/regional job market. Administrative positions are few and far between, and the M. Ed. seems to over-qualify them for teaching positions.

Masters in technology-related disciplines are hot, as are Instructional Design / Curriculum design, and the Sciences (still way short on quality science teachers).

Schools with fully-online programs that *I* am aware of are: Capella, Grand Canyon, Keiser, Northern Arizona Univ (NAU), and (of course) WGU. I've worked with all but WGU. Can't speak for the actual coursework, but I KNOW these schools take their online programs very seriously, and invest heavily in them. They are also meet the same accreditation standards as their on-ground programs.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife's a teacher. She did her Master's degree immediately after graduating undergrad - both at UIndy.

CB19 is pretty much spot on about relocating / hiring. Teachers with master's degrees (that are often REQUIRED to be earned by the IN DOE) are almost locked in to their employer once they've earned their master's degree. Partly because the Union won't allow them to take less pay - even if they WANT to take less pay. There are indeed exceptions to all of this, of course.

My wife needs out of her job in a bad way. It's slowly sucking the life out of her. But we simply cannot replicate her income elsewhere.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In between strictly online schools and conventional, some traditional schools offer partial online courses. Your mid terms can be on line, but some of the finals have to be done in person. I did online for about 1/2 of the required course work for my Masters. You still had regular thesis assignments that were turned in and reviewd by an instructor, who had a name and was available for discussion both on line and through scheduled telephone sessions. In this situation I had to consider location in my selection. I was able to find my classes at a school about 4 hours away, rather than to have to spend the time and money to fly there for finals. Of course field experience and internship requirements were still done in person.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife needs out of her job in a bad way. It's slowly sucking the life out of her. But we simply cannot replicate her income elsewhere.
    Is she interested in taking her experience to the corporate world? At least a third of my co-workers have a degree in education, in one form or another. Several employers in Indy would value her experience. Several corps (including mine) have 100% remote positions, too. Work from a home office (with phone/internet) rather than commute (or relocate).

</derail>

Top Bottom