• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Being new to guns and as a new LTCH I plan to conceal. I personally think OC is pretentious. It is to show people that "hey look, don't F with me". OC scares the crap out of most people because the public does not know the intention of the OC. Many people don't see guns or even own them. Yes it is a law abiding citizen's right to carry if they get the appropriate license but to OC, it isn't necessary. I don't want people to know that I carry other than my friends. I will talk to people who may be interested or feel otherwise if the discussion arises. Since I know very little about guns, I hope to learn from INgunonwers.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Being new to guns and as a new LTCH I plan to conceal. I personally think OC is pretentious. It is to show people that "hey look, don't F with me". OC scares the crap out of most people because the public does not know the intention of the OC. Many people don't see guns or even own them. Yes it is a law abiding citizen's right to carry if they get the appropriate license but to OC, it isn't necessary. I don't want people to know that I carry other than my friends. I will talk to people who may be interested or feel otherwise if the discussion arises. Since I know very little about guns, I hope to learn from INgunonwers.

I think you might have put the cart before the horse there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Keep an open mind and read some of the OC people's posts over time. Some of them see it as their mission to advance the gun rights movement by showing that decent responsible people are out there carrying firearms on a daily basis. They aren't shooting up schools. They aren't robbing convenience stores. They aren't angry people looking for an excuse to whip their gun out and wave it around. They feel that if people see that members of their community are carrying firearms without causing problems, it will change a lot of their attitudes. They will hopefully lose their fear of guns and gun owners.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

you will most definitely be the first target if you open carry

You are both new here. This is required reading before you can post in threads of this type. After you educate yourselves on the OC subject, you will earn a gold star and OC veterans won't feel a need to flame you as hard or as often.

Seriously, do yourselves (and us) a favor. Go here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am giving it from a former nongun carrying person. I understand that I need to learn more but many of you have been around guns for a long time. Don't assume that those who advocate OC are doing others a favor. I am an educator and I am looking at this forum to help teach me. If those OC people want to educate, there is a proper way to do it by reaching out to the community rather than cause some fear. I understand from their point of view and my views are changing. Most of the LTCH folks I have met have been very nice and extremely helpful. I am not debating which is right or wrong but I am trying to debunk some of the feelings of those who have carried for such a long time. Sometimes we forget how we felt. I don't fault anyone who wants to OC but don't be surprised if many people are afraid.

I am just offering you OC veterans another point of view and as I learn more my comfort level will change. I don't flame the OCers so why flame a new carrier? It's what goes through our minds. I read a such arrogance with some posters. Rather than flame help educate so we won't think that you guys are just a bunch of gun lovin' jerks. The worst thing to do is not make a new carrier feel like an idiot. Who is more experienced? You guys or someone like myself? So I ask for help not arrogance.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Being new to guns and as a new LTCH I plan to conceal.
    Thanks for sharing.

I personally think OC is pretentious.
    I think judging others is pretentious.

It is to show people that "hey look, don't F with me".
    I've no issues with that. If I could find a better manner to help prevent myself from being a victim I'd do it as well. I doubt a shirt saying, 'Don't F with me,' would be nearly as effective.

OC scares the crap out of most people because the public does not know the intention of the OC.
    You've clearly never OC'd. OC doesn't scare anybody - I OC all day every day and not once has anybody shown terror, fled, screamed, yelled, or anything else.

I've been asked if it was real a few times - mostly by children.

To be honest - most people don't even notice and I'd go so far as to say they're oblivious.

Many people don't see guns or even own them.
    Many don't see them because they are oblivious. Before I carried I never noticed anybody else carrying but now that I pay more attention to those around me I see it all the time. That said - there are an estimated 270 million guns in the US which is 89 firearms for every 100 citizens. I guarantee you there are far more gun owners than you imagine and that you're surrounded by them more than you know.

Yes it is a law abiding citizen's right to carry if they get the appropriate license but to OC, it isn't necessary.
    Did you know that at one time OC was how firearms were carried and to conceal was criminal and implied criminal activity. After all - why would a law abiding citizen go through the effort to hide their completely legal firearm? [Not my logic, but the logic of the time].

I don't want people to know that I carry other than my friends.
    Why is that? You think your friends won't 'snap' and shoot you so why do you think some other person you happen not to know is going to do the same thing? They could just as easily walk up to you and punch you in the face, run you over with a car, attack you with a baseball bat, etc...

What makes your friend any better for carrying than me, whom you do not know? Does knowing somebody make them a safer firearms handler or carrier?

I will talk to people who may be interested or feel otherwise if the discussion arises. Since I know very little about guns, I hope to learn from INgunonwers.
    I emphasized the issue you're likely having. Go to a range - shoot a few firearms and become familiar with them under the supervision of an experienced friend / range master / etc. Once you're familiar with guns and how they work you should be less fearful of them overall.

The gun, after all, is just a tool. It has no emotions and will take no action without human intervention.

All of that said - carry how you want and carry safely. So long as you aren't coonfingering your gun in public or pointing your firearm at me I don't care if it's concealed, openly carried, carried on your hip, your thigh, in a shoulder holster, or duct taped to your forehead so long as the holster it's in is safe and is securely fastened to you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I guess people that have been disfigured will have to stay in now. The criteria has been set at "do not scare".
    And uneducated children (and some grownups) might be scared.
    Being legal doesn't matter anymore.

Top Bottom