• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    That story is full of crap.

I'm not more likely to shoot/attack someone who is not a threat just because I have a gun. The article suggesting that is just insane.

They make it sound as if people who carry go around with one thought on their mind at all times: is that person a threat to me? Nothing could be further from the truth.

Open Carry, sadly, does bring fear to some people who see it but that's just because they have an unhealthy fear of guns. I myself have an unhealthy fear of spiders, but that does not make most spider bad or dangerous to me and others.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Years ago when I was young the unhealthy fear was of concealed carry.

Again when I was young the great fear was was global cooling and the next coming ice age.

He said let not your heart be troubled ye believe in God believe also in me.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ye believe 8th God be lieve also in me.
    LOLWUT?

In that one experiment where a person was holding an object and shown pictures of other people holding objects, they say there's a bias to identify another person holding an item that is substantively similar to the object that you're holding. If you're holding a shoe in your hand and shown a person holding a banana, you're at increased likelihood of misidentifying the banana as a shoe, but what if you're not holding the shoe, but merely wearing the shoe? Are you still likely to misidentify the banana as a shoe, since you're wearing a shoe, but not wearing a banana?

We talk a lot about "forehead carry" as being another option to concealed or open carry. How many of us desire to carry our personal protection sidearms in "palm of the hand" carry?

Let's see them do this experiment again, but with habitual handgun carriers (OC or CC) carrying their sidearms in their habitual fashion, not holding a gun in their hands, and with non-handgun owners carrying a provided sidearm, again, not in their hand, but in a holster, whether IWB or OWB, and let's see if they still want to misidentify innocuous objects in pictures as guns.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    A sliver of me kinda wishes I could wrap my head around this journalistic, hand-wringing disaster so I could understand that mindset a bit more. Unfortunately or not, I was born and raised in Appalachia, served in the military, lived in the inner city, and so on, which has led to me bumping shoulders with folks carrying all manner of weapons over the years. As a result, seeing the "man with a gun" is no more frightening to me than seeing a copperhead, a nuclear weapon, or a distracted soccer mom driving fifteen over the speed limit in an 8500 lb. SUV. I have dealt with them all so many times that they no longer carry much in the way of shock value. Unfortunately, I don't think sheep respond well to such exposure therapy: Exposure therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:laugh:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    New?? Craze??

Wrong on both points. OC is neither new, nor a craze. But then again, anti-gun spin in the media is hardly something new either. Just another totally inaccurate and biased description from another anti-gun liberal. Yawn.

williepete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    atlanta
    The problem IMO gets to be when someone walks around with a rifle. I'm a life member of the nra and sorry,I see a man with a rifle walking around , I'm calling the police. Guy with a nine, I could care less.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    The problem IMO gets to be when someone walks around with a rifle. I'm a life member of the nra and sorry,I see a man with a rifle walking around , I'm calling the police. Guy with a nine, I could care less.

Wow. Maybe you shouldn't be a life member of the NRA? Let's just call the cops on everyone for doing legal behaviors.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    New?? Craze??

Wrong on both points. OC is neither new, nor a craze. But then again, anti-gun spin in the media is hardly something new either. Just another totally inaccurate and biased description from another anti-gun liberal. Yawn.

Slate is, and always has been, click-bait.

If going to reference something from their trash articles, just copy-paste it or show a screenshot. Never give them more clicks.

Same with

Gawker
    HuffPo
    ThinkProgress
    MMFA
    DailyKos

etc...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Wow. Maybe you shouldn't be a life member of the NRA? Let's just call the cops on everyone for doing legal behaviors.

Makes me wonder if he even realizes what that R stands for. :scratch:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I normally CC, but I do OC sometimes too. Bothers me sometimes when people look at me funny, you can tell when they are staring at your piece. Have to say, at least in my experience, most of the time, people don't seem to pay attention to it. If you're just some guy going about your business, (who happens to be wearing a gun) the average person on the street don't really seem to notice things around them.

Now, were I to walk around with an AR slung over my shoulder, I would expect to draw attention. If I'm carrying for self defense, in a civilian setting, I don't really need more that my 1911 strapped to my hip. If it is expected that I could find myself in combat at any time (as it was in Iraq) Yeah, I'd walk around with my AR. Here's the kicker... I may not NEED my AR for day to day carry, but that doesn't make it unlawful. People not knowing the law are a PITA, but it's the response of LEOs that can make or break your day. If I walk around with an AR slung across my back, I kinda figure people will notice. So what? For a LEO to say I couldn't, just because it made someone nervous, would suck. I can't help it if someone else is nervous. I'm glad there are outgoing people who OC all the time. I do hope they portray us gun owners in a positive way when they have interaction with the public, and LEOs. I hate someone who is a jerk about it, but I like the idea of people learning that the mere presence of a firearm does not constitute violence. I would carry my long gun in a public display to help the cause. I may one day, but to be honest, I mostly just want to do my thing and go back home unmolested.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

So, you want to voluntarily make a false report?
    If the guy is waving it around, or pointing it, or threatening, or something like that..... maybe even committing a crime.
    But if he just has it strapped on, then it's legal. Here's how legal it is. THEY DON'T EVEN REQUIRE A LICENSE TO CARRY A RIFLE.
    If that's different to you, then fine, keep an eye on him.

But if you call the police on a person not committing a crime, then it is the same if someone sees your pistol and calls the police.
    Except, most of them are ignorant of the law.
    I'm assuming, you know rifles do not require a license to carry.

Top Bottom