• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    welp. time to walk around the courthouse with an AR on my back.. see if i can get the same attention.
    It's not illegal.

I can tell you I did more questionable things when I attended Purdue in West Lafayette in your backyard. I miss High Bridge. And a number of other places.

Edited to correct the city name!

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    well. im not a student there. it is a 3 mile walk.. hmm.. :laugh:

Eh, it's after 2am here and it was 35 years ago. What was I thinking! Sorry for the stupid mistake. I am used to East Lansing and Michigan State University. Slip of the fingers. :)

I still kinda miss it though. Although not the long walks to the computer center in the dead of winter.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    ill tell ya though. its not easy being young and carrying. especially in purdue.. the slightest imprint on a t-shirt and i get odd looks, people back away in lines, the "purdue police" hang around. i smile and :wavey:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Seriously, though, do people still go to High Bridge? And Tippecanoe River State Park? Purdue was pretty straight-laced in the 70's, a shocker for me from the Chicago area.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Seriously, though, do people still go to High Bridge? And Tippecanoe River State Park? Purdue was pretty straight-laced in the 70's, a shocker for me from the Chicago area.
    not too sure. i know a couple goons got caught on top of the stadium last week. i listen to the scanner on thursday nights. thats when they party now. the school rules or whatnot says no tests on friday. :laugh:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    not too sure. i know a couple goons got caught on top of the stadium last week. i listen to the scanner on thursday nights. thats when they party now. the school rules or whatnot says no tests on friday. :laugh:

No tests on Friday? I used to have classes on Saturday at 8:00 AM! WTF?! And I mean like Calculus and Fortran. No fair.

I've got to get down there again one day. And my kids thought they had it tough.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    No tests on Friday? I used to have classes on Saturday at 8:00 AM! WTF?! And I mean like Calculus and Fortran. No fair.

I've got to get down there again one day.

it really is beautiful in some places. the construction is irritating. nothing is ever good enough.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't believe that 35-47-11.1-4 carves out an exception for banning firearms from the same city block as a building which houses a courtroom.

I could be wrong. Lemme go check. ...

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch11.1.html#IC35-47-11.1-4

Nope. I was right. Carry your AR proudly and confidently that any police action against you for merely carrying will be met with a bevy of lawyers willing to take your case.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Yeah, sorry for not being on earlier. Not guilty on all counts as of 11:30 this morning!

Here's some info about the jury and trial. Juror #5 was probably the problem. When Jim (defense atty) asked her opinion on gun control, she stated in open court, "I don't see any reason for anyone to carry a gun."

I'm sure jury deliberation with her must have been a wonderful experience. I think there are plans to have another OC gathering to accompany him when he picks up his rifle from the police.

It's all over the news now.

The Daily Tribune - Not guilty verdict for Troy teen who carried gun through Birmingham (with video)

Combs said he agreed to show identification, but only so officers could verify his age. “I said ‘I don’t technically have to do this but I want to go on with my night,’ ” he said. “I gave my ID to (one officer) and almost instantly (another officer) arrested me.”​

AR-120719938.jpg&MaxW=620&MaxH=330

The prosecuting attorney said that Sean was obstructing the police in their investigation by not wanting to provide an ID (which by MI law he is not legally obligated to do). The judge asked her, “I’m asking you how he’s guilty of the offense by exercising his right to say nothing?” :rockwoot:

Troy teen calls acquittal in gun case 'the right verdict'

Sean's attorney said, "I've said from the beginning this is not a gun rights case, this is a civil rights case. Birmingham Police violated his civil rights by arresting him that night."​

NOT GUILTY! Jury sides with teenager who carried gun through downtown Birmingham WITH VIDEO

“I think I irritated (police),” he said. “They kinda went ‘Let’s throw something at him and see what sticks.’”​

doc4ffdb2bdf1337941615138.jpg

CBS Detroit - Rifle-Toting Troy Teen Found Not Guilty

The City Attorney said Combs was showing off and wanted to shock people.​

Fox News Detroit - Teen who carried loaded rifle through Birmingham found not guilty

Rifle-Toting Teen Found Not Guilty; Jury Says: 'We Upheld the Law'

"We upheld the law," said Rev. Julius DelPino, a jury member from Rochester Hills. "Based on how the law is written, (Combs) was not breaking the law."

"Open carry is not brandishing and brandishing is not open carry, there is a distinction," Makowski said, adding, "If I feel the need to openly carry a long gun, the courts have affirmed that I can do that."

Open carry advocates, many of whom learned about Combs' case on opencarry.org, have gathered as a group in Birmingham's Shain Park twice now — once in June and again last week — while openly carrying rifles and pistols in support of Combs.​

Troy teen acquitted of charges stemming from stroll through downtown Birmingham with rifle on back

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So.
    How DOES one walk with their rifle in an "Ostentatious Manner"?
    Was he walking around backwards so people would see the rifle first?
    Did the officers demo this? I would like to see what its like.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't believe that 35-47-11.1-4 carves out an exception for banning firearms from the same city block as a building which houses a courtroom.

FYI, Tippecanoe County Courthouse is its own block.

Risking an expansive reading of the curtilage of courthouse and contempt finding.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom