• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I am getting ready to apply for my carry permit in the next few weeks here when I get the funding. I have heard from some people that when you carry in Indiana you must have the gun concealed and out of view, and then I have heard from others that you can open carry where the weapon is in plain view. I have looked on the internet and can find no valid and reliable information that tells me a definite answer. I heard that you can order a badge to place next to your holster that identifies to police and others that you have a license to carry. I was wondering if anyone has heard the same as me and if its true or false.:ar15:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Indiana offers a License To Carry Handgun. This means that you may conceal or open carry or in plain view carry. No where is it written on the LTCH or in indiana code that you must conceal. I open carried myself yesterday. God bless the second amendment.

Edit: Missed your question about the badge. Don't waste your hard earned money on a Weapon Permit badge. Use that $50 to get a nice serpa holster if you intend to open carry or some nice holster with retention. Some cops will hurass you with a badge for impersonating an officer.

2nd Edit: Welcome to INGO! We are happy to have you!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana is an Open Carry state. This is covered in the FAQ.

As for the "Concealed Carry" badge that you can buy, my advice is Don't. It's not required or necessary and makes you look like a tool at best. At worst you could be charged with impersonating an officer.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    You can carry open, concealed, or anywhere in between once you get your LTCH. IMHO, the badge idea is a dumb one, seems like people who have those want to look like LEO...

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Alright thanks for the information! I kinda had a feeling the badge was a bad idea too, but I just wanted to see if what people were telling me was true that there is such a thing. I'll probably conceal it most of the time anyways cause I live in NWI in subburbs of Chicago and I would be getting stopped all the time up here if I was walking down the street with it in plain view. And I was looking into getting a Fobus Evolution roto-paddle to carry my G23 in. Any of you have any opinions on that holster or holster in general?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Alright thanks for the information! I kinda had a feeling the badge was a bad idea too, but I just wanted to see if what people were telling me was true that there is such a thing. I'll probably conceal it most of the time anyways cause I live in NWI in subburbs of Chicago and I would be getting stopped all the time up here if I was walking down the street with it in plain view. And I was looking into getting a Fobus Evolution roto-paddle to carry my G23 in. Any of you have any opinions on that holster or holster in general?

There are better holsters, for not much more money. The Serpa, for one. Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement paddle holsters cost about the same, and are better.

Leather is better yet, and you can get that for the $50 bucks you'd waste on the silly badge.

As for the badge, I don't think a charge of impersonating would stick. I don't even think it would get you arrested. It WILL get you laughed at.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I went to Cabelas the other day and check out the Blackhawks serpa, but I don't like having the button on the side to release the weapon on the draw. I feel more comfortable with one that just has retention.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I am getting ready to apply for my carry permit in the next few weeks here when I get the funding. I have heard from some people that when you carry in Indiana you must have the gun concealed and out of view, and then I have heard from others that you can open carry where the weapon is in plain view.

Just goes to show that many people run their mouth without having any idea what they're talking about, doesn't it?

I don't think anyone in the thread has mentioned Brian Lee Ciyou's book on Indiana Handgun Law yet, so I'll recommend it to you.

Glad you came here for the straight scoop. :ingo:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Before you said you lived in NWI, I thought you had been to Dons, since they have those badges! I guess I will be first to mention a RAVEN holster, but there are other brands and discussions both ways. I PROMISE I AM NOT TRYING TO STIR UP :poop: The OP stated he wanted a holster that has good retention, and I feel that Raven does. :welcome: to :ingo:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I went to Cabelas the other day and check out the Blackhawks serpa, but I don't like having the button on the side to release the weapon on the draw. I feel more comfortable with one that just has retention.
    There's at least one training company that forbids the Blackhawk Serpa holster when you train with them precisely because of that button. I've heard it's improved some, but still causes some problems. I don't have any personal experience with it, though, so take that info with a grain of salt.

+1 on the Raven recommendation if you're looking for a Kydex holster with great retention. You can check out the Accessories & Gear forum for more recommendations on holster manufacturers and types of holsters.

+1 on Ciyou's book(s). I heard a rumor he's working on a third edition, but I haven't seen it yet.

Definitely check out the INGO FAQ: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...discussion/16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html . There's a lot of really great information in there, and there are several links to threads that discuss exactly the questions you have asked. :)

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    I carry with a Blackhawk Serpa holster on and off duty, it comes down to personal preference and what I am proficiant with. Whatever holster you get practice often and be confident that if the situation merits it, you can feel comfortable with your ability to pull your weapon and protect yourself.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I recommend staying away from the Fobus Rotoholsters. I've got one for a 1911, and it sticks way out from my waist, and the roto thingy always becomes loose.

Also, the Fobus is an OWB. Depending on your gun, you might want to consider IWB, if you want to conceal in all weather.

Whatever holster you buy now, if you're like me, you'll probably wind up buying a couple more.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Z-Glock23, if you want the OC reasoning in writing, hit up the Indiana State Police website. It states there that Indiana law is silent on the issue of OC and CC, just that you have to have an LTCH to be able to leave your property with a firearm (with only a couple exceptions).

If your friends demand proof of what was written here, you can print out the page from the ISP and answer their question.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    Thanks for the information everyone. Good to have people to pose these questions too that know what they are talking about. I'm sure I will end up buying a couple as well hahaha =] Thanks again for the information!

Top Bottom