• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Also, I am correct in assuming that carrying on the IU campus is illegal, yes?

Not illegal, but it is against IU rules. They have authority over their students and employees. Anyone else found breaking their rules would likely be asked to leave or face trespass charge, which is illegal.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    buffalo wild wings in the back of gander mountains parking lot in greenwood right there at emerson and county line road.

oh and i also got confronted by a 10yr old kid today in walmart. he came up and stared at me for about 2 minutes and then asked me if i had a license to carry. i got :xmad: and answered yes in a irretated tone and he said "cool" and ran away. the only reason why i said it in an irretated tone was im tired of people thinking either they got to treat me special or fearing me just cause i have a gun. im thinking of getting a shirt made that sais "Yes I have a permit to carry a gun, does that answer your question?" it may sound bitter but hey im a gun owner

Oh baloney. You want to be asked about, that's why you open carry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    How do you know this?

Are you, perhaps, projecting your own thoughts onto someone else?

+1.

Mr. Ryan, please don't presume why an individual open carries. I respect that you apparently don't agree with OC, but that doesn't mean that you understand why I do support it. A little reciprocal respect is appreciated.

It wouldn't be hard for OCers to make scathing comments about CC. That is destructive and we don't particularly need that. My point is, I won't jump to inaccurate and/or presumptutous conclusions about your choice of carry if you will extend the same courtesy.

Regards,
    Josh

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    +1.

Mr. Ryan, please don't presume why an individual open carries. I respect that you apparently don't agree with OC, but that doesn't mean that you understand why I do support it. A little reciprocal respect is appreciated.

It wouldn't be hard for OCers to make scathing comments about CC. That is destructive and we don't particularly need that. My point is, I won't jump to inaccurate and/or presumptutous conclusions about your choice of carry if you will extend the same courtesy.

Regards,
    Josh

i think he just wants to bust my chops.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    How do you know this?

Are you, perhaps, projecting your own thoughts onto someone else?

Because I'm old enough and been carrying long enough to have run in to and seen most all of this before. Been there, seen it, and done most of it.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i dont open carry to attract attention. i open carry to give that one ye-hoo thats wants to hurt someone if they are around a warning and to change their mind about doing something stupid. and the number ONE reason why i open carry is cause im with my family when we are out and i wont give them a chance to be in harms way.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    +1.

Regards,
    Josh

I don't have a problem with open carry. I don't care if every one carried a hog leg strapped to the next pacer game. I open carry myself in a few specific places for the specific purpose that I want my neighbors and the people around my area to know for a fact I have guns. I shoot regularly all day long and in the middle of the night too so there's no question in any one's mind that it doesn't bother me to take a shot in the dark if I don't like what's going on at my place.

I don't care if they ask me any thing they want to, no one ever has. I open carried around Indianapolis quite a bit when I first got my carry permit and never had any one ever say a word other than other gun owners wanting to discuss fire arms. That was 30 years ago.

I never consider my comments to be particularly scathing either, more along the lines of "we are on the same side of this, why kid each other about it". If we can't be honest with each other, HERE, what's the point but hey do what ever ya want.:cheers:

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i dont open carry to attract attention. i open carry to give that one ye-hoo thats wants to hurt someone if they are around a warning and to change their mind about doing something stupid. and the number ONE reason why i open carry is cause im with my family when we are out and i wont give them a chance to be in harms way.

OK, my mistake. If you say so, it must be so.:draw:

I really didn't think it was that big a deal that it would draw 2 or 3 more posts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'd say we are getting along. My point is that its not necessarily accurate to say a person OCs because they want to attract attention. For me, it has to do with comfort. For me, it's quite a bit more comfortable to carry OWB. In most cases that ends up meaning OC, although it can still be CC.

With so many people saying that they OC without anyone noticing, wouldn't that seem to invalidate the "attention" or "education" theme? Everyone has their own reasons, and I am sure that some people want the attention or chance to educate.

Personally, I don't want the attention. I couldn't care less if someone notices or not. Education? Well, if it worked out that way, fine, but I find it a bit unlikely. Those that already understand it wont gain much, and those that don't understand it probably won't learn anything. Maybe I am just a pessimist.

That's why I take exception to the "attention" thing. I am not mad or anything, I just have heard this same thing a lot of times and figured it was time to correct somebody on the issue. I couldn't give a rat's ass about attention or education- that has between "very little" and "nothing" to do with why I OC.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Just a few thoughts about OC.

I will be the first to say that I have and sometimes do OC but whenever possible I CC, here is why.

The reason I carry a gun is to defend myself/family/people I care about. If I am at a supermarket and someone walks in to rob the place I can do something about it. That is why I carry a gun for protection.

One of the top self defense element is the element of surprise. It is possible to be standing in line and a bank (while CC) and have a robber walk right past you to the teller holding a gun. While you are CC you are not an immediate threat to the BG.

One the same note, if the BG walks into the bank with the intent to rob the place, he/she has made up their mind to break the law. At this point it is safe to say they are not in their right mind. They have a gun and you must assume the are willing to use it. If they walk in and see a gun strapped to your hip, you then become their biggest threat. Now you have a gun in a holster and they ahve one in hand, pointed at you. Assuming they are willing to use their gun/knife/whatever you become the target.

If they dont see your gun, you are not a threat. If they see your gun you are a threat.

This mindset was told to me by many self defense and weapons coaches.

The element of surprise is your best weapon when carrying.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just a few thoughts about OC.

I will be the first to say that I have and sometimes do OC but whenever possible I CC, here is why.

The reason I carry a gun is to defend myself/family/people I care about. If I am at a supermarket and someone walks in to rob the place I can do something about it. That is why I carry a gun for protection.

One of the top self defense element is the element of surprise. It is possible to be standing in line and a bank (while CC) and have a robber walk right past you to the teller holding a gun. While you are CC you are not an immediate threat to the BG.

One the same note, if the BG walks into the bank with the intent to rob the place, he/she has made up their mind to break the law. At this point it is safe to say they are not in their right mind. They have a gun and you must assume the are willing to use it. If they walk in and see a gun strapped to your hip, you then become their biggest threat. Now you have a gun in a holster and they ahve one in hand, pointed at you. Assuming they are willing to use their gun/knife/whatever you become the target.

If they dont see your gun, you are not a threat. If they see your gun you are a threat.

:horse: Coaches have opinions too. It doesn't mean they can trump facts. The element of surprise benefits an agressor, not a defender. It never happens.:cool:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Counterpoint: If they see your gun, maybe they decide that today is not the day to rob this bank. They can chose when to rob which bank. Why risk that they will get you before you can get them when they can simply choose another bank, or another day?

Most likely result of bad guy seeing that you are armed: bad guy decides not to attack this time. Defensive purpose achieved without a shot being fired.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    ATM, I ask you to think it out. You are walking down the street and see someone with a gun that you see as a threat to you....what do you do?

A. Ignore them and walk to your car
    B. Say "Hi" to them and walk to your car
    C. Do whatever you can to eliminate the threat

I am choosing C, evertime no matter what I am doing I am going to eliminate the threat to me.

If you disagree I would like to know why I should think differently.

Now reverse rolls.

You are filling out a deposit slip at the bank. Someone walks in to rob the place at gunpoint. They see you carring a gun on your hip. Would they

A. Ignore you and rob the bank
    B. Say "Hi" and rob the bank
    C. Neutrize the threat immediatly

The answer is C, human nature kicks in and you eliminate the threat.

If I am wrong in my thinking please point me in the right direction.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You are filling out a deposit slip at the bank. Someone walks in to rob the place at gunpoint. They see you carring a gun on your hip. Would they

A. Ignore you and rob the bank
    B. Say "Hi" and rob the bank
    C. Neutrize the threat immediatly

D. Decide not to rob this bank at this time. After all, it's simple enough to just back right out the door and try the next bank over. There's no pressing need that it must be this bank at this time to rob. That only happens in Hollywood.

Top Bottom