• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I have been CCing just because I'm still new to the whole carry idea period and it's easier...however...on my frame it's hard to hide a handgun (even something the size of a Bersa 380) so it's still pretty obvious something's there......so I'm getting a new holster and going to give OC a shot (pun not intended)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I personally avoid open carry unless I'm in town... where technically the law on the book says concealed carry is illegal. Anywhere else, and I'm concealed though... I'm not making a fashion statement, I'm trying to give myself an advantage by being able to protect myself... I don't want to paint myself as a target.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have been CCing just because I'm still new to the whole carry idea period and it's easier...however...on my frame it's hard to hide a handgun (even something the size of a Bersa 380) so it's still pretty obvious something's there......so I'm getting a new holster and going to give OC a shot (pun not intended)

I've got a fobus paddle, and a nice leather belt rig. I'll let you check them out sometime.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I carry concealed for several reasons...

1. I don't want to be a target for the guy who is planning on robbing the store I am in, It is far better that the bg doesn't know I am armed.

2. I have no comfort problem with carrying concealed...it is very easy for me at 270 lbs to carry 2 guns on my belt and keep them concealed...even in 100 degree weather.

3. Police often don't know the law...why cause a scene?

4. Police again...if I am in the neighborhood of a stop and rob gone bad I don't want to be walking around with a gun in open view when the LEO are already on a short fuze.

5. Any gun open carried can be grabbed, prisoners practice this while incarcerated, if it will work on a LEO it will work on a civvie. And as posted, kids today often don't know better, a forum member recently posted about a little kid suddenly grabbing at his gun.

6. I like keeping the bad guys guessing.

I liken open carry to wearing a Speedo at the beach...just not that eager to show off my goods I guess.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I carry concealed for several reasons...

1. I don't want to be a target for the guy who is planning on robbing the store I am in, It is far better that the bg doesn't know I am armed.

MYTH

2. I have no comfort problem with carrying concealed...it is very easy for me at 270 lbs to carry 2 guns on my belt and keep them concealed...even in 100 degree weather.

3. Police often don't know the law...why cause a scene?

TEACH THEM

4. Police again...if I am in the neighborhood of a stop and rob gone bad I don't want to be walking around with a gun in open view when the LEO are already on a short fuze.

I HEAR THAT!!

5. Any gun open carried can be grabbed, prisoners practice this while incarcerated, if it will work on a LEO it will work on a civvie. And as posted, kids today often don't know better, a forum member recently posted about a little kid suddenly grabbing at his gun.

THE KID DIDNT GRAB HIS GUN, HE WAS FUMBLING IN THE GENERAL AREA DRUELING ON THE GUYS STUFF. ALSO, THATS WHY YOU GET RETENTION TRAINING.

6. I like keeping the bad guys guessing.

WHY NOT STOP THEM BEFORE THEY START???

I liken open carry to wearing a Speedo at the beach...just not that eager to show off my goods I guess.

COMMENTS IN RED ARE MINE. Nothing personal to you, but your post shares a lot of common CC beliefs that can be wrong at times. my post is to try and get people to think.
    :twocents:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Bah, this old song and dance again!

OC or CC - it doesn't matter. Just Carry!

Don't call OC-ers idiots. They aren't. The arguments against OC have been dismissed dozens of times, on this board alone.

Don't call CC-ers idiots. They aren't. The arguments against CC have been dismissed dozens of times, on this board alone.

It is your right to carry as you choose. Only you can make the correct choice for you. However you carry, carry with PRIDE. You do not have to justify why, what, how, when, or where. (OK, "where" might have some limitations :draw:)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    For me, many times I will OC based off of physical comfort. Weather plays a large role in this. Other times, I will OC because I am tired of the mentality that I should "try not to offend others". And for the record, I carry both CC and OC.

Yep. Me too.

Some don't mind answering questions when asked, which offers a great teaching opportunity.

^This one^ I'm very happy to be a part of de-sensitizing people to the sight of a non-criminal carrying a gun around like it's no big deal. And *when* people ask, I'm glad to take a moment to tell them that I'm not a cop or a security guard, "just a prepared citizen." That's usually as far as it goes, but once or twice I've been able to talk about the LTCH and what the relevant laws are. Educating the sheeple FTW!

I do it so I dont have to get into a fist fight. They either leave me alone or we go straight to the guns.

:laugh: Yes, that too.

1. A right not exercised is a right lost.
    2. It deters crime.
    3. It gives positive "publicity" to firearms.
    4. More comfortable.

Accurately and succinctly put.

IOW, I'm a free man, and whatever method of carry I choose on ony given day reflects that freedom.

Aaannddd [/thread]. If I could rep you, Joe, I would, because that is exactly it. Sometimes it isn't wise or appropriate to OC, so I CC those times. But if I want to OC, I'm going to.

I don't OC "just because I can." But if I want to, then the fact that I can is very handy, indeed.

Wait a minute, what? Where have you been??? YEARS??? Welcome back, don't be a stranger!

:+1: Welcome back to INGO!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OC is what any inexperienced to average shooter should do in my opinion. and you will see a lot of experienced trigger pullers OC'ing also, and theres a reason. i OC 90% of the time EVERY DAY because its comfortable and its realiable, but i also cc in some cases for certain reasons.

most CC'ers have this false mental picture that they will be able to slowly stealthily pull their weapon and then use it with "navy seal precision" but most statistics show it will be totaly an opposite situation you will be in. you will need it quick when 1 second will mean the difference in going home or not.

removing clothes that cover your weapon starts to add fine motor skills to a situation that you dont want them in. basicly your adding extra steps to what could be a very metaly tasking situation under stress, even for an experienced shooter whos never faced it. also what happens when your clothing hangs up your weapon??? your screwed. go run a half mile and then try to quickly draw your pistol from a CC point. then try to put some rounds on paper and see how well you do, even if you were OC'ing. you will see how much better OC will be in a real life instance for the un-trained average person, just to get your weapon out and ready (the shooting part is more training). and when i say un-trained i dont mean just range training, i mean stress training and drills, etc. how well you shoot on a range matters very little in a self defense shooting. the guy will probly be less than 3ft from you so what you gonna do when you cant extend to shoot from that one possition that you've only ever fired from? have you practiced for it? probly not. also have you practiced getting your adrenaline under control so you can shoot when your hands are shaking? and this starts to go into a totaly seperate thread, but maybe ive answered some of your question.

ive tried to put this into laymans terms for the average site user to understand. i hate it when people constantly try to show how well they can use abreviations and terms that no normal human shooter or beginner can understand what in the heck they are talking about. probly turns a lot of people away from learning cause they are afraid to ask the "elite" what something means, LOL elite

also: OC is a PROVEN crime preventitive!!! FACT: badguys want the easy target, they dont wanna get shot, and you having a gun that they can see is a definate deterant. people have the false misconception that someone will try and take it from you while your standing there. FALSE. the stories you hear of citizens and even police getting their own weapon turned on them is because they didnt know proper retention techniques to use after they pulled their weapon (once again, more training). or they were already in a life or death struggle, so obviously then the bad guy will go for the weapon. citizens are not the targets like cops are. WHY you ask?? because you arent trying to lock them up, thats why.

im not the poet or the grammar major some people on this site are, but i hope ive given you something to at least think about. ive trained a lot of people and whatever you decide to do, please get training and never stop learning. complaicency = death in the trigger pulling world.

Excellent explanation. Excellent advice. I anticipated the stealthy draw. I have no confidence in trying to "outdraw" another person. Seems I need to add a different type of training to my plans.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I prefer to HC (hybrid carry). This means I am always CCing while I'm OCing and OCing while I'm CCing...

One gun in a leather belt holster visible to the world.

One gun in a SmartCarry holster securely hidden near my junk.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    He must be in Speedway. The only city ordinance against CCing that was grandfathered in.

I'll have to pass that along to the wife. She CC's in that area all the time. Once we get moved to Brownsburg we'll both probably be passing through that area alot.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    What DON'T we have to pay for? Taxation WITHOUT representation. You would think that they'd have learned from history...

You DO have representation. It's called The Vote.

The situation you mention is nothing like the conditions that sparked The Revolution.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I OC for all the positive reasons stated. It's our right and sheeple shouldn't be alarmed to see another person carrying.

Also I've got some beautiful leather on order and my P220 has rosewood grips. This rig must be pimped! :):

Seriousy- I moved to IN five years ago. Initially I was living in a hotel. Well one morning as I was leaving I spotted a trim, attractive lady standing at the front desk OCing. It surprised the hell out of me. All the typical sheeple thoughts ran through my head. (she must be a cop, etc.)

When I got to work that day I asked around and only one person out of 20 or so had a clue regarding IN LTCH laws. Everyone else did the OMG thing.

I also need to add that I grew up hunting/shooting and am a former Marine. A "gun" just shouldn't have made the impression on me it did; however hailing from NY where you rarely even see a pistol it did.

Long story short- OCing is awakening people to their rights. Primarily that is why I do it. I will CC when it's appropriate for me.

BTW: there is not one documented instance of a "BG" targeting a OCer. That line gets wore out all over the net.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'll have to pass that along to the wife. She CC's in that area all the time. Once we get moved to Brownsburg we'll both probably be passing through that area alot.

Just so you know, the Speedway Police don't enforce this ordinance, in fact I have been asked by 2 Speedway cops to please cover up in the past year. I wouldn't worry about CCing there.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Hence the reason for this other thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/37307-common_oc_cc_threadjack.html

which is a bit more confrontational than those referenced in post #35 of this thread.

Personal preferences are fine and great but the supporting reasons are usually debatable.

I'm glad I went over and read your post before responding. :draw: LOL

The point I tried to make is a positive OC experience for a non-gun person has the potential to add numbers to our "side". That lady will never know it, but she started me on the path I'm on now.

We need to get as many people onboard as possible. :patriot:

tealturbo95

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I think a lot of people get freaked when they see a normal person(non police or military) carrying a gun because they do not fully understand that it is their right as a law abiding citizen.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    i have carried open and cc, i never get hasseled, or looked at weird, i was asked by a kid 1 time if i was a "bad guy" at a gas station, i explaind to him and his mom that i was given the privalage to protect myself and others from the bad guy, and told them that a bad guy wouldnt show that he has a gun. but that is the extent of oc experience i have had

Top Bottom