• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    what are the laws in indiana about going out in the sticks and shooting...how many square acres are needed etc...

Going out in the sticks to do some shooting? Ask the land owner what the local laws are they would know. Most of the time if out of city limits you should have no problems.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    what are the laws in indiana about going out in the sticks and shooting...how many square acres are needed etc...

The acres don't have to be square ;)

Be sure you are aware of where you are. Not all "sticks" are created equal. Some of them have people living in them and get really pissed when people come up and start shooting around their "empty" property.

There are no state laws that define amount of land needed to shoot. You can generally shoot most places in the National Forest, and on many State Forest places (but not State Parks). Other than that, most "sticks" are privately owned and you'd be well advised to have permission to shoot there. There may be local laws or ordinances, but generally the more rural a place is the less there is.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If your out of city/town limits and your good to good for the most part. If a neighbor calls the police they may ask to see the back stop. If you have a silencer and some subsonic ammo your pretty much good to go anywhere:):

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

You can only shoot on square acres in square counties. You must go to round acres in circular counties and use curved barrels in the sticks.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I never came across the 150 yard rule, is that a county law? When I went before the zoning board for my ffl the county asked if I had a range, they even said they couldn't stop me from shooting on my property. They just said I couldn't have a public range...which I didn't want anyway. My neighbors house is about 90 yards off the side of it too, in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    As someone said in reference these types of questions: It's not going to matter one bit what someone on a forum told you when the cops is writing you a ticket. Do a bit of research on the laws and ordinances for the area you plan to shoot in.

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    If you are out of the city limits it's all good . If its out in the country you need permission from the land owner. There is no 150 yard rule thats crazy.....:draw::ar15:

Top Bottom