• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I say AK. Who cares if it is another platform? The ammo is plentiful and cheap. Nearly half the cost of brass 5.56.

Last year I built two ARs, and I bought two AKs. I personally have a lot more fun with the AKs. I have an AR in a light weight 16" platform, and one in 18", bipod, 3-9x scope... I don't see the need for another 5.56. Just like I don't see the need for another AK at the moment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you just want so screw around at the range or just own a bunch of guns, I'd probably get the AK. If you intend to use the rifle for home defense, then you need to seriously consider a second rifle set up the same because if you use the first one it's going to be in the property room for awhile. It also makes sense to use one to train with so you do not put a lot of wear and tear on your "for real use only" rifle. If you're a low volume shooter, that's likely not a problem.

FWIW, I got out of the AK and am now only AR for non-bolt action rifles. I didn't mind the AK, but I like the ergonomics (particularly the safety) of the AR better. I also am issued one for work, so I like to keep it as same-same as possible. I don't get to shoot rifles as much as pistols, so less practice time means I'm probably better served to stick with one platform.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    You do realize that I've been shooting AKs (the real kind) since 1988 doncha? I've shot examples from just about every country known to make them, and even some not commonly known of. AKs rattle, it's part of the package. The practical real world range of the AKs is normally up to 300m unless you get a very good example. I've also seen first hand what the AK round and AR round does to human flesh. I've always said I'm glad my enemies were primarily armed with AKs.

Ive always said think God our enemies are poorly trained. Similar experience minus the age lol. I see first had what the 7.62 and 556 does first has as well. Most aks found on the battlefield rattle because they are old and poorly maintained. Hell my issues m4 rattled just as bad. Properly built aks should rattle as much as an ar.

Last edited:

TubThumper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Westfield
    You didn't specify a particular need or role for your next rifle outside of a different setup than your current AR. Not knowing exactly what you need the rifle for, I'm going to presume you're simply in the market for a new gun. That said, I'd suggest an AK due to the very different shooting experience you'll get coming from an AR. To me, the AK platform is more visceral and interactive than the AR unless you're the kind of guy that just shoots off a bench all day. Ammo is cheaper, accessories are plentiful, customization can be good depending on the model, and there's a lot of interesting collectability in the accessory market. As a bonus, AKs are generally easier to maintain compared to ARs as well.

As for which AK, that's a whole different topic but the general opinions expressed in this thread thus far are in the ballpark. I've owned a C39v2 in the past and it was my first AK. I ran around 1500 rounds through it without incident or any major deformation of the BCG. I'd have no issue trusting that particular example (which is for sale used at my LGS) for another 1500 rounds and beyond. With Century, unfortunately, you'll get some good ones and you'll get some bad ones. I traded mine for an Arsenal SAM7-SF which has been a phenomenal rifle and on par with any similarly priced AR. If you're serious about jumping into the AK platform, I would suggest taking th advice of others in this thread and look at the following:

"Classic" stamped receiver AKM models: Current production WASR or Arsenal SLR-107
    Non-traditional AKM model: VEPR FM

Any of the above can be had under $1k with the WASR being the most affordable. Any will serve you well and last as long as you will.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The big issue with century produced guns is the QC, you get a great one, then one that blows up in 30 rounds (look it up, tons of failures including a trunnion breaking in half are documented) no matter how you want to slice it AKs and ARs are spam gun, yes both can be accurate, but when I go to shoot either, it is not outside the realm of possibility for me to put 1,000+ rounds downrange in a day. So for someone to give a gun the all clear after a couple hundred rounds doesn't work for me. A properly built AK should be accurate, reliable and rattle free, anything less is either built wrong or beat to hell.

As for 7.62x39 being cheaper to shoot than 556/223 you haven't looked around too much if tou think that, there are some good deals going on here and there. My LGS had surplus 556 brass for 26cpr, and cheaper than dirt had 1,000 rounds of brass 556 for $230 shipped a few weeks back

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    I'm looking at a similar problem but went out of the box:
    1. How about an Ar firing 7.62x39 like this https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/762-39-caliber-rifle/src-7-62x39/ , Windham will sell just the upper as well and with the AR 7.62x39 style magazines use a lower you already have your done. If you buy a complete rifle the warranty is life time and isn't built by the Century Build Monkeys.
    2. PTR-32 a roller locked/blowback rifle firing the AK round and will accept some ( not all ) AK metal and plastic magazines. I have one and when i shoot with AKs my sights are better and hit a bit farther 400m + PTR Industries it is very out of the box.
    3. The VZ-58 is the anti-AK, it looks like an AK but other than the ammo it is a different beast and it's Czech https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-58-military-762?l=1 it does not use AK magazines.

For me and my Battle Rifles I own from the Roller Locked family a PTR-91F (7.62x51), Vector V-93 (.223) and a PTR-32 (7.62x39). From the AR side a Windham AR-10 (7.62x51) and a AR-15a2 (.223) so I'm leaning to the Windham AR in 7.62x39. A lot of the parts are interchangeable, small learning curve with the rifle, solid build and warrenty, and I already stock the ammo.
    Hope this helps
    JUmp62
    aka Paul

Just trying to get a second opinion on my current gun gluttony urge. Recently I have been eyeballing the Century Arms C39v2 and RAS47 but I also seen the Ruger AR556 on sale. I already have an AR but wouldn't mind having another to setup differently. I your opinion would you buy a second AR or go for an AK?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would certainly purchase an AK. I bought several SKS's and an AK - actually bought a Mac-90, then changed out enough components to make it 922R compliant, then added a POSP scope and Walnut furniture. I own one AR and am in process of assembling a couple more (when I decide what caliber I want them to be). The AK has a longer effective range, and more stopping power - accuracy is not quite as good as an AR, but is more accurate in the wind. The AK ammo is MUCH cheaper to purchase and is available everywhere.

The AK is arguably the most reliable firearm ever made, and is a ball to shoot. In a SHTF situation I would take an AK before I would carry an AR, due to better range, penetration of barriers, stopping power, and the ability to operate when far dirtier than an AR. I think you will see AR's and AR components prices continuing to fall, while the AK probably will continue to rise, therefore you may be able to purchase another AR cheaper in the future while the AK may cost more!

Top Bottom