• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    Brazil Times: Local News: Memorial for Veterans taking shape (12/18/12)

My hometown is putting together a memorial for GWOT. I made the point that last i knew Desert Storm/Desert Shield wasnt a part of this current campaign and didnt understand its being included on a momument dedicated for a different set of wars. am i making too much out this and letting my attention to details get the best of me or should i activly lobby the veterans office to fix this mistake. I am NOT trying to downplay DS/DS by any means. Just how i am currently looking at it is that a memorial dedicated to GWOT then has wars from other eras on it sends the wrong message. its almost like they are trying to play catch up and just do a quick fix for past negligence in not recognizing the past few wars and conflicts we have been in.

As a side note i also get the feeling that if Brazil hadnt lost two sons in the current wars this wouldnt be getting done.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Brazil Times: Local News: Memorial for Veterans taking shape (12/18/12)

My hometown is putting together a memorial for GWOT. I made the point that last i knew Desert Storm/Desert Shield wasnt a part of this current campaign and didnt understand its being included on a momument dedicated for a different set of wars. am i making too much out this and letting my attention to details get the best of me or should i activly lobby the veterans office to fix this mistake. I am NOT trying to downplay DS/DS by any means. Just how i am currently looking at it is that a memorial dedicated to GWOT then has wars from other eras on it sends the wrong message. its almost like they are trying to play catch up and just do a quick fix for past negligence in not recognizing the past few wars and conflicts we have been in.

As a side note i also get the feeling that if Brazil hadnt lost two sons in the current wars this wouldnt be getting done.

Desert Storm/Desert Shield were not part of the Global War on Terror as witness the fact that the National Defense Service Medal is awarded for service during four different "eras": Korean Era, Viet Nam Era, DS/DS Era, and GWOT Era.

DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    Thanks for the feedback, i think that once the office opens back up i am going to call them and raise my concerns. Its not that i dnt want a DS/DS memorial, i just dont want a memorial that is misportraying the conflicts that have been fought. i get to be a stickler about details when it comes to honoring veterans as i view any mistakes will degrade the inended outcome.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's why I love America. No matter how someone tries to show their patriotism, there will be someone there to point out that they're doing it wrong.

This group shouldn't be included in that. Why wasn't that group included in this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    It might matter to the people who were there and went through it. If you were there for DS/DS you got a CIB if Infantry. If you were still in for OIF/OEF you qualified for a second award, CIB with the star. Separate conflicts, different eras as far as the DOD is concerned. :twocents: :popcorn:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It might matter to the people who were there and went through it. If you were there for DS/DS you got a CIB if Infantry. If you were still in for OIF/OEF you qualified for a second award, CIB with the star. Separate conflicts, different eras as far as the DOD is concerned. :twocents: :popcorn:

Why can't we just accept the gratitude being offered at face value without nitpicking it to death? The majority of the population has never served and don't understand all the nuances that go along with it. I'm sure in the eyes of some, any campaign dealing with the Middle East is part of the GWOT. I swear some one could ask for prayer for soldiers at church and there'd be a butthurt marine, sailor, or airman in the crowd.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    You're probably right! It doesn't really bother me personally. I really couldn't make the tie in for Gulf War II to be a part of GWOT anyway. I'm just glad service members are getting the respect they deserve, not like the reception after Viet Nam.:patriot:

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    There were so few casualties in DS/DS, it makes me wonder if there was one in this community and they want to make sure he's honored.

As a DS/DS veteran, I understand the need to get it right, and I wouldn't be offended if it wasn't included. I don't really have a problem with them including it either. Like I said above, they may have a specific reason for doing so in that community.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You're probably right! It doesn't really bother me personally. I really couldn't make the tie in for Gulf War II to be a part of GWOT anyway. I'm just glad service members are getting the respect they deserve, not like the reception after Viet Nam.:patriot:

Where's my Bosnia Veteran Memorial, dammit!

I like to take the effort of gratitude offered in the manner in which it was intended. I won't correct any well meaning person for getting something wrong when they just don't know any better. Unless they were to call me a marine.:ar15::laugh:

DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    That's why I love America. No matter how someone tries to show their patriotism, there will be someone there to point out that they're doing it wrong.

This group shouldn't be included in that. Why wasn't that group included in this?

Putting a memorial on the courthouse lawn isn't being patriotic. Neither is flying a flag in your yard. It takes more than those token actions to be patriotic.

As for my " nitpicking" I apologize for wanting it to be done right. Maybe that's what's actually wrong with this country nowadays, our willingness to just accept mediocracy.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Putting a memorial on the courthouse lawn isn't being patriotic. Neither is flying a flag in your yard. It takes more than those token actions to be patriotic.

As for my " nitpicking" I apologize for wanting it to be done right. Maybe that's what's actually wrong with this country nowadays, our willingness to just accept mediocracy.

Then don't be surprised when some wont bother trying. Again, no matter how noble the effort, someone will be offended.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Including DS/DS in a GWOT memorial is a distortion of history. It is simply historically incorrect, regardless of who it offends. DS took place in 1991 and was to protect Kuwait from Sadaam. The GWOT didn't start until 2001 (ten years later) and its purpose is self explanatory.

If the memorial was for "Gulf Wars" or Middle East veterans, then it could include DS/DS. But a War on Terror memorial should honor the 2001-present era exclusively. Otherwise, it would be like having a "Korean War" memorial that included Vietnam vets. How confusing is that? History is complex enough, without misinformation.

The bottom line is that the organizers just look ignorant if they don't use accurate information/terminology. I mean, they are literally setting it in stone, so it should be accurate.

EDIT: I am not a vet.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Including DS/DS in a GWOT memorial is a distortion of history. It is simply historically incorrect, regardless of who it offends. DS took place in 1991 and was to protect Kuwait from Sadaam. The GWOT didn't start until 2001 (ten years later) and its purpose is self explanatory.

If the memorial was for "Gulf Wars" or Middle East veterans, then it could include DS/DS. But a War on Terror memorial should honor the 2001-present era exclusively. Otherwise, it would be like having a "Korean War" memorial that included Vietnam vets. How confusing is that? History is complex enough, without misinformation.

The bottom line is that the organizers just look ignorant if they don't use accurate information/terminology. I mean, they are literally setting it in stone, so it should be accurate.

On target. Fire for effect! ;)

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality

Hit it right on the head. If something is going to be done, insure that it is done right.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I was in DS/DS and I am not eligible to display the GWOT ribbon or medal. IMO the DS/DS should not be grouped into the same GWOT memorial, unless they call the GWOT memorial something else.

Top Bottom