• Total voters

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Hello everyone,

I have a Yugo M70 underfolder that I have been considering having hard chrome plated. It gets shot once a year if that. I mostly keep it around as an investment gun in case the prices go crazy again. I personally like it fine the way it is, but I am thinking about having it chromed because I know of people that do a great job and will do it very cheaply. Also I have heard from a few people that it would increase the value of the gun.

So pretty much I was hoping to get people's opinions on it here before I make a decision.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    If only I could have it done up in bacon lol, that would be an easy choice.

This is one of the few times in recent years that I've honestly felt entirety neutral in a situation. I don't care either way. I do hate AKs that have plastic attached every where. I may just not have enough experience to form an opinion as I've never seen a chrome AK in person.

One advantage would be hopefully no more surface rust popping up every couple of months.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't think it would decrease the value, but customized guns are harder to sell.

Also, I think there are better investments out there than guns. Gold, silver, a nice index fund, usw.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Chrome is so 1980's the way to go is GOLD!!! It's all the rage in Iraq!
    IraqGoldAK47.jpg

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I was hoping, Oak.....that is clearly not an AK. :p

Anyway, I voted yes, but of course I didn't read the OP first....I'd have to change my vote to no, after reading the OP. If you only shoot it occasionally, then a good cleaning regime should keep it in good condition, and you can save the money for something else.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Do it. Why not. Something different. Definitely can't lose value. I mean, its an AK after all. You can sell a couple hammers and have enough to buy one.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    How much will it cost to chrome the rifle?

Personally, I would leave investment firearms stock.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I would bet on letting the end user choose their style.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Thanks for the mostly helpful suggestions I've gotten so far. It just dawned on me that Century actually sold the m70 new in chrome. Found a pic of one here.

M70CHROME2.jpg

After seeing that, it isn't as gaudy looking as I imagined it would look. But at the same time now I know Century offers that and has probably done it to a lot of them. Makes it less unusual as I originally thought it would be and probably less worth the time doing it. Leaning more towards leaving it alone now.

Top Bottom