• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Sorry if this has been discussed before...I couldn't find a thread on it. I currently have a 380, but am very interested in a 9mm. Does anyone have an SR9c, or at least fired one? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have one. It's been great to me. Very comfortable to shoot, reliable, slender physique. Nothing bad to say about it at all. It comes with a 10 round mag and a 17 round mag with grip extension. Any specific questions?

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Thanks for the info. How is the trigger pull? I think I read some specs saying its between 5-6 pounds. Pulling the trigger on my Bodyguard 380 isnt fun, although it seems to have gotten better with time.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I had one and liked it alot. Great carry piece. I would take a hard look at owning one again if I was in the market for a carry piece.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I've got the SR9c. It's my first pistol. I spent a LOT of hours researching the weapon before buying it. I compared it to a lot of 40 and 45 caliber stuff, even an LCP and LC9.

My friend(s) shoot .40, .45, and 9mm....1911's, Glocks, S&W, Walther. And, I was fortunate enough to put several mags thru all of them.

I really like the recoil feel of the 9mm over the .40, and .45 caliber. 9mm feels very honest and true while 40 caliber is very snappy. .45 caliber is big, and I'm slower to reaquire sight picture with it.

and... 9mm is easy to find everywhere, and relatively cheap.

Local Gun shop recommended the SR9c to me.

I've got more than 800 rounds thru it, and not one single problem except for when I tried some steel casing ammo...had one fail to eject with Tulammo.

As long as I run brass thru it...any brass, I have not had a single problem.

I have two of the 17 round mags and one ten round. That's good enough for me.

Breakdown and cleaning are easy and quick. I like the double-trigger, and the 1911 type safety. I added a Crimson Trace, and like it a lot too - although normally at the range, the laser is not visible in the day light. I added the laser for a little more piece of mind. If I'm in the house (unloaded of course), I can see the laser just fine. In a panic situation, I think it will help me, but I'm very comfortable with the iron sights. I also like the "round in the pipe" indicator.

I'm not carrying yet - can't find an inside-the-waist holster that I like, and need to buy some oversize pants, and I'm honestly a little bit intimidated still, but plan to carry in the future. My plan is to find a nice holster, and dry-fire practice a lot, then I need to spend a lot of time at a range that allows holster carry.

My other dilema is that I almost always tuck in my shirt, into my pants. It was a habit I got into more than 20 years ago, and it's hard to break. So, unless I'm wearing a jacket, I won't be concealed.

I mostly shoot $11/box FMJ ammo from wally world. Like I said - more than 800 rounds, maybe closer to 1000 rounds, and not a single FTE, FTF or any other problem with brass.

My son, 13 years old, has probably shot 400 rounds thru the gun, and he is very comfortable and good with it at 7 yards as well.

At the range, I prefer the larger magazine, and I can feel a slight difference in my hands when using the 10 round mag. But, I've been shooting more and more with the 10 round mag lately, to better prepare for when I'm carrying.

Trigger pull is in the 5-6 pound range. I haven't noticed it change since it was new. I also don't notice a difference between a full trigger pull and a half-reset (I think that's what it's called) pull.

For my money, I'd buy another SR9c in a minute. I honestly love the way the gun feels in my hand, and the way it shoots. My son really enjoys it as well. I bought the version with the stainless slide, and it's a good looking weapon as well.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I bought one for my fiance. She shoots it well and fits nicely in her hands. I really like the gun. I think we have about 700rounds through it now without any problems. I like the adjustable sights, and even though they are not luminescent the front sight has a much bigger white dot than the rear which make it easy to pick up. For the money (<$400) I'm not sure you can find a better pistol, maybe an equally good pistol but probably not a better one.
    I don't like a safety on my carry guns, but she wanted one, however it is easy enough to leave the safety off. I also don't like the magazine catch safety, the gun will not fire without a magazine seated in the well...not a fan. The pistol is a bit difficult to disassemble because of the take-down pin's tight fit. Nothing a little touch up with a Dremel couldn't fit, but still makes it a little hard to disassemble/reassemble.
    Overall, I'd buy another one for a car/leave-around-the-house gun (I'd say carry gun but I already have enough compact 9mm's to fit that role).

ETA: the trigger pull is probably about 5.5-6lbs, A little sloppy but good for a striker fired pistol.

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I've got the SR9c. It's my first pistol. I spent a LOT of hours researching the weapon before buying it. I compared it to a lot of 40 and 45 caliber stuff, even an LCP and LC9.

My friend(s) shoot .40, .45, and 9mm....1911's, Glocks, S&W, Walther. And, I was fortunate enough to put several mags thru all of them.

I really like the recoil feel of the 9mm over the .40, and .45 caliber. 9mm feels very honest and true while 40 caliber is very snappy. .45 caliber is big, and I'm slower to reaquire sight picture with it.

and... 9mm is easy to find everywhere, and relatively cheap.

Local Gun shop recommended the SR9c to me.

I've got more than 800 rounds thru it, and not one single problem except for when I tried some steel casing ammo...had one fail to eject with Tulammo.

As long as I run brass thru it...any brass, I have not had a single problem.

I have two of the 17 round mags and one ten round. That's good enough for me.

Breakdown and cleaning are easy and quick. I like the double-trigger, and the 1911 type safety. I added a Crimson Trace, and like it a lot too - although normally at the range, the laser is not visible in the day light. I added the laser for a little more piece of mind. If I'm in the house (unloaded of course), I can see the laser just fine. In a panic situation, I think it will help me, but I'm very comfortable with the iron sights. I also like the "round in the pipe" indicator.

I'm not carrying yet - can't find an inside-the-waist holster that I like, and need to buy some oversize pants, and I'm honestly a little bit intimidated still, but plan to carry in the future. My plan is to find a nice holster, and dry-fire practice a lot, then I need to spend a lot of time at a range that allows holster carry.

My other dilema is that I almost always tuck in my shirt, into my pants. It was a habit I got into more than 20 years ago, and it's hard to break. So, unless I'm wearing a jacket, I won't be concealed.

I mostly shoot $11/box FMJ ammo from wally world. Like I said - more than 800 rounds, maybe closer to 1000 rounds, and not a single FTE, FTF or any other problem with brass.

My son, 13 years old, has probably shot 400 rounds thru the gun, and he is very comfortable and good with it at 7 yards as well.

At the range, I prefer the larger magazine, and I can feel a slight difference in my hands when using the 10 round mag. But, I've been shooting more and more with the 10 round mag lately, to better prepare for when I'm carrying.

Trigger pull is in the 5-6 pound range. I haven't noticed it change since it was new. I also don't notice a difference between a full trigger pull and a half-reset (I think that's what it's called) pull.

For my money, I'd buy another SR9c in a minute. I honestly love the way the gun feels in my hand, and the way it shoots. My son really enjoys it as well. I bought the version with the stainless slide, and it's a good looking weapon as well.
    Not to get off topic...but there are some really nice TUCKABLE holsters out there that you can tuck a shirt over while still concealing. My most concealable tuckable holster is from High Noon Holsters, they are pricey but very well made. Crossbreed Supertucks are very popular, Mtac Minotaurs are very comfortable and concealable, and Galco King-tucs are also easy to tuck and conceal with. You can also get a belly-band and tuck over that...lots of options out there.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have an SR9c that I really like and my wife likes to shoot as well. It resides in our bedside table in a lock box for "bump in the night" events and I do carry it as well.

Like has been said before, this is a nice gun...The recoil is light and the trigger is 5 to 6 pounds initially (less after it has a few hundred rounds through it). On a defense gun I like the idea of a slightly heavier trigger...I like the safety on it - I know some do some don't, but I like it and my wife feels better knowing it has one and that counts for a lot...

I would recommend the Crimson Trace LG-449 laser that is made for the SR9c, I feel that it finishes off the the weapon nicely. Those tend to hover around $200 +/- but are worth the investment...

-Drew

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like mine, it has several hundred rounds through it without a failure. I like the trigger compared to the two glocks I have shot, same with the grip. Its a comfortable gun to shoot and hold.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    A very nice firearm. It is easy to carry and conceal. When you get it, be sure to take it apart, and clean the striker channel thoroughly, as some have posted about light strikes. On the Ruger website or on YouTube there are instructions detailing the disassembly. I am sure you will the gun.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Add another satisfied SR9c owner/carrier here. I will echo the sentaments above and add that I really like the trigger on mine. I have about 1200 rounds through it now and after about 8 or 9 hundred the gun and I started to get along a lot better. The old "1000 round trigger job", if you will.

I don't feel that you can go wrong with carrying one if it fits your hand well and you decide to carry the 9mm round.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've been very impressed with the SR9/SR9c pistols. I've had the opportunity to shoot one of each on several occasions plus have seen them on a monthly basis at IDPA matches and they've ran like a top being shot in all sorts of conditions.

The trigger is really good, very little take-up and it breaks easily...i'm not too sure it isn't one of the best triggers in a polymer gun that I've shot and I shoot a lot of Glocks and M&Ps and have shot XDm and guns from other manufacturers as well.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I own one and love it for what it is. Its compact carry piece and IMHO for the money its about as ideal as it gets for what its designed for.

There are a lot of safety features, however its something you can learn to appreciate with practice.

IMO 9mm is a great caliber. If you are wanting to use this for self defense, then obviously you will need trigger time and 9mm is a capable round at a discount price. At 30-45% cheaper a box than .40 or .45, you can save money putting rounds down range.

The gun is as accurate as the shooter, but it is compact and double action so compared to something like a 1911 it takes a little more patience and trigger time to get consistent (at least it has for me... a relatively new shooter), but if your .380 is a pocket pistol (lcp or keltec) then this will be a nice upgrade.

For conceal carry or home defense, I think this pistol can fill both niches nicely. It comes with 2 mags. The 10+1 with finger extension is perfect for conceal carry and gives you plenty of firepower and the 17+1 full size mag with grip extension gives another handful of cases for a zombie invasion.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Oh as far as trigger... if you find you want to lighten the pull a little (although I'm not sure that is the best decision for CC if thats what you want the pistol for) then this company... GHOST TRIGGERS makes a a couple different nice drop in upgrades for pretty reasonable.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Opinions of the Ruger SR9c

The SR9c is one VERY nice gun... I have a little over 300 rounds thru mine with no problems. Just make sure when you get it you strip it down and clean it well and oil it. You might also want to rack the slide about 150 times to loosen it up a little.

It does have a very nice trigger which seems to get better the more you shoot it. Sights are decent and fully adjustable. Plenty of firepower with a 10 and 17 round mag.

Buy one and go shoot -- Ruger has another winner. :patriot: :ar15:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The SR9c is one VERY nice gun... I have a little over 300 rounds thru mine with no problems. Just make sure when you get it you strip it down and clean it well and oil it. You might also want to rack the slide about 150 times to loosen it up a little.

It does have a very nice trigger which seems to get better the more you shoot it. Sights are decent and fully adjustable. Plenty of firepower with a 10 and 17 round mag.

Buy one and go shoot -- Ruger has another winner. :patriot: :ar15:

Over a 1000 rounds through mine and it's been flawless. Love it.
    Based on mine, I don't know why anyone would want to lighten the trigger, its very light to begin with. :yesway:

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Thank you all for your very informative posts. Although I probably won't be purchasing this gun for a few months (after my Vegas trip in July), I feel very confident in getting this firearm down the road. Again, thanks!

Top Bottom