• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I have been trying to get my daughter the Rough Rider 22lr revolver at Rural King with zero success. My local RK has no handguns and every other one seems to sell out of them instantly. Well, I found this one at MC Sports. Its roughly $100 bucks more but will also shoot 22 mag. Its still pretty cheap but do you think its worth the extra bucks ? Thanks
    ROUGH RIDER 22LR/22WMR REVOLVER COMBO | MC Sports

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ruger single six is 400+ on buds guns, which always has pretty low prices.

That seems like alot of money for a gift to a kid. (im not knocking the gun, just the price)

I know MANY people who have had heritage 22 revolvers and not one of them has had an issue apparently worth mentioning..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I bought one new in like 1990 from the gunshop in Garrett. It was $100 when I bought it. It is a solid, well made revolver with a tight lockup. I think it is made in Germany. Mine is so old it may even say West Germany on it. It is as accurate as my Ruger single six. I don't think it has the transfer bar though. I haven't looked at it for almost 10 years because I gave it to my daughter as her barn handgun. It has killed a few coons and dozens of starlings.

The quality is as good as the Ruger and it actually feels better in my hand. The grip is a more natural angle and curve than the Ruger.

I would not hesitate to recomend this gun for any use even though I agree that 22 mag out of either this gun or my single six is pointless.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    It looks like a fine gun to me and the guy in the video below seems to love his. I really love my Ruger Single Six but unless you're trying to impress someone who likes Rugers, I don't see why you'd have to hold out. Go for it.

[video=youtube;zPb4r5i46kE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPb4r5i46kE[/video]

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    The Rough Rider has a hammer block safety switch that makes it unique compared to any other single action revolver and is a great feature.
    Some Rough Riders have an alloy frame and others have a steel frame which would cost more.
    I have an older one with an alloy frame and adjustable sights which I consider to be very accurate.
    Due to the alloy frame, I would choose to mainly use the .22 magnum cylinder with Winchester Dynapoint .22 mag. ammo because of its lower velocity. But if there's a need, any .22 mag. ammo is okay to fire with it.
    The alloy frame is finished with a type of epoxy paint which can be damaged and/or softened by having much contact with gun cleaning solvents. So I usually just give the frame a light wipe down with alcohol, and only use solvent in the bore and cylinder. However the ejector shroud located on the side of the barrel is painted on the alloy frame model.
    It's worth the extra money if you would like the option to use .22 magnum ammo. However I haven't used my .22 magnum cylinder yet since I only use it for plinking and .22LR is much more economical.

Last edited:

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I have a rough rider I bought in 22 lr for $170. I purchased the 22 mag cylinder from heritage for $30 later. I think I have used the 22 mag cylinder once or twice but nice to have if 22lr not available or vice versa. The gun itself itself is a great gun seems to be a good value. I had a few issues with the finish not being very good but I sent back to heritage and they made it right (free shipping both ways 1 1/2 week turnaround)even though most people probably would not have noticed the imperfections that I did.All in all a good company in my experience.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Try Davidson's GalleryofGuns.com. Prices for the heritage might be OK for you and a lot of dealers will get them delivered tomorrow if you order in the next couple of hours.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Keep your eye out you will find one.... I agree w/ slough, this is a good gun for the money and will not disappoint. If I was still in the buy one of everything moods, this would be on the list.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This thread got me to thinking. I saw my daughter and grandkids tonight and I checked out the West German made Heritage revolver in her barn. It was coated with some kind of thick powder and there was some corrosion on the right side of the hammer.

I cranked off the 5 rounds without issue, but I scolded her for at least not wiping it down like every 6 months or so? And took the gun to my home and cleaned it up. It still looks like new and functions just fine after some Hoppes NO 9 and a rag.

Now that it is in my hand, it is a 4 3/4 barrel with a windage adjustable rear sight and has no transfer bar safety. Therefore it is loaded with 5 instead of 6. It feels far better in my hand than my Ruger single six.

It is a solid piece of machinery that I have no qualms about re-issuing to my daughter. I am seriously thinking about keeping it and giving her the single six. She won't go along with that though. So she will get her gun back.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I love my rough rider, It serves it purpose as a plinking gun just fine i bought mine at Rural King for $117 out the door, (they are even cheaper when on sale). I then bought the .22 mag cylinder online for around $30 plus shipping So all together I have around $160 including shipping for a great shooting gun.

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    I have the Heritage in 6 1/2 barrel with the pearl grips. It has the 22mag cyl. It is a fun gun to shoot, its just not my favorite. Thought about selling it once but then seen them going for alot cheaper without the mag cyl. So now its in the safe.

Top Bottom