• ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    TheGunSource: Rossi-Braztech Snub Nosed Revolver, Model R461, R46102,

I'm looking for a cheap .357 snubnose revolver for cc and home.

I've had recommendations here that Rossi and Taurus are good brands for a "cheap" revolver.

$300 is the most I feel I can afford at this point. I'm not wanting a really nice revolver, just something I can rely on in my time of need...

So knowing my needs, what are your guys opinions of this particular model and it's price?

KRBushee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Wells County
    A .357 can also shoot a .38 special round, but the .357 round will be more accurate. Another thing is that a snub nosed revolver is a close up gun. I know a few of people, that have replaced their snubby with a revolver with a 4 to 5 inch barrel, just for more accurate shots. Don't know much about Rossi-Braztech, but Taurus makes some fine hand guns, for the price.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have had an older Rossi, and it was fine. A .38 is a decent self defense round and there is some good ammo choices today that make it a good choice.

.38 is just as accurate as .357 to my knowledge and is faster with the followup shots as well. Additionally, .38 is more fun to shoot and will make you more likely to actually practice.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it's what you can afford... Then buy it!

If it were mine, though, I'd not feed it a steady diet of .357. .38Special and .38 Special +p would be the main fodder.

-J-

DIESELTUNDRAXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    i just traded in my xd for a taurus 66 with a 4inch barrel, i really like this gun so far also picked up a branchi fitted holster :draw:

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    The link below leads to a lengthy article on personal defense ammunition. 38 and 357 calibers are addressed about half way down. The trades between stopping power, recoil, reliable expansion, accuracy, recovery time, etc. are discussed. There are a lot of specific recommendations. However these days, you might end up buying the only available box of personal defense ammo that you were lucky enough to find (that will work in your gun).

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I had a Rossie 357 snub, I liked it, bulky but i liked it

to my knowledge Rossi/Taurus are the same and use the same equipment

Rossi USA - History

At the same time, Forjas Taurus, S.A. purchased the rights and the equipment to manufacture Rossi handguns. Taurus manufactures three models of .38 Special revolvers and four models of .357 Magnum revolvers under contract with Rossi. Revolvers sold by BrazTech with the Rossi name are manufactured in a brand new facility owned by Taurus in SaoLeopoldo, Brazil. Much of the tooling and many of the machines were acquired from Rossi during negotiations between the companies.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    A Ruger SP-101 snubbie for $450 NIB is hard to beat deal.

TheGunSource: Rossi-Braztech Snub Nosed Revolver, Model R461, R46102,

I'm looking for a cheap .357 snubnose revolver for cc and home.

I've had recommendations here that Rossi and Taurus are good brands for a "cheap" revolver.

$300 is the most I feel I can afford at this point. I'm not wanting a really nice revolver, just something I can rely on in my time of need...

So knowing my needs, what are your guys opinions of this particular model and it's price?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Actually, at this point I'm not too concerned about carrying it. I'll most likely keep it at home or in my vehicle. I would probably not be too comfortable carrying it much. Maybe just for certain situations...

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    After doing some more reading, I'm starting to think I should get a taurus instead of a rossi.

Here is one that is similiarly priced and featured, except it carries 5 rounds instead of the rossi's 6. But that might relate to better carrying...

Taurus 605 .357mag 2" Blue for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $327.00

Opinions?

They are both in the same league, in my humble opinion.
    Servicable, but not top shelf.
    They will either serve your purpose..............

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Taurus 689 .357, 6" Revolver. On my night stand every night. Paid $327 for it. Excellent gun. Shoots very accurate. .38 to practice, .357 in the house. Wont ever sell it.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a Taurus .38 SPL snub nose that is a handful w/ +P loads. .357 Mag would be tough to shoot in that size frame. Which is more important: the size of the gun or the caliber? If snub nose, then .38 SPL seems the way to go. If .357 Mag, then I think you'll want a larger and heaver gun!

Top Bottom