Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    marvinthearvincarbine.jpg
    Saginaw SG

http://inrd.gotdns.com/gunpics/marvinthearvincarbine.jpg

ran the Agulia dirty Mexican brass ammo thru it would not cycle. Winchester, ppu, remington, armscor all cycle it

Sweet set up!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    thanks

horandy crit defense and federal are great too.

PPU soft points are an awesome deal, they hardly cost any more then fmj

I don't like Sellier and bellot though, don't trust them after the 1980s release of commercial ammo with corrosive primers and not telling anyone.

Last edited:

KennoXD9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    I've shot over 1000 rounds of 9mm and .380 tula and hundreds of .223 out of AR-15. I have never experienced a single malfunction or jam. Nor have I ever had an extractor break. I clean my guns everytime I shoot. But just in case I keep an extra AR extractor on hand just for SHTF

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've had mostly good luck with the .223, a few stuck cases out of about 1K rounds. I tried a box of .308 but only shot about 10 rounds. Had two cases jam really tight in my Savage bolt gun and one jammed up my DPMS GII. I shot four rounds through my GII, first three seemed okay and the fourth jammed it up solid. The extractor tore part of the head off trying to pull it out of the chamber. After it was stuck I noticed the three other cases all had the primers blown out. No more Tula in any of my .308s. I have at least another 1K rounds of .223 that I will continue to use up though and likely stockpile more as I have the cash to spare.

Matt

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    There have been many incorrect statements in this thread. I will just leave these right here...

A video from our fello INGO'er Full Auto...

[video=youtube_share;P5ZB3UfG960]http://youtu.be/P5ZB3UfG960[/video]

And a great resource about steel cased ammo...

ComBloc Ammo FAQ

Please do your research. If you still don't want to run steel cased ammo, that is just fine. But please don't base your decision on several of the inaccurate statements in this thread. There is so much misinformation that has been repeated in gun shops and on the internet that the truth is hard to find on this particular subject.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    My experience with steel cased ammo has been as follows:

.223/5.55 TulAmmo: only malfunctions I've seen in my AR's were 2 stuck cases of Tula in a buddy's RRA midlength upper. No issues in my Del-Ton mid length. 1.5-2.5" @ 100 yards accuracy

9mm TulAmmo: no major issues, 1 noticibly light recoiling/sounding round....checked to see if it cleared the barrel, it did. Accurate enough.

.223/5.56 Wolf: no reliability issues in 16" mid length Del-Ton and RRA 20" Predator Pursuit AR's out of probably 800 rounds total, 400-450 of which were at the June 2013 Atterbury Appleseed. Cleaned chamber, ran a bore snake after day 1. Accuracy was good enough for 39/40 hits during said Appleseed. 2-3 MOA groups at 300 and 400 yards. 1.5-2" @100 from a bench. No complaints at all about it.

Wolf 9mm and .45 acp: no issues, adequate accuracy. Haven't shot too much of either, though.

Summary: I'll stay away from TulAmmo if I can, but have no problem with shooting Wolf in anything I own.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Again, we are NOT talking about ARs or other modern weapons, so that video doesn't apply.

we are talking about Tula 30 carbine. Which runs dirty and won't cycle some carbines. Steel is harder to extract and the cartridge is marginal for gas operation in the first place.

Steel on steel still causes wear, NO the ammo steel isn't harder then the rifle steel, but softer items still cause wear on harder items.

Look at a set of steps in a very old building that are used a lot..... rubber causes wear on hard stone. (Chicago Union station steps for example)

Last edited:

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Again, we are NOT talking about ARs or other modern weapons, so that video doesn't apply.

we are talking about Tula 30 carbine. Which runs dirty and won't cycle some carbines. Steel is harder to extract and the cartridge is marginal for gas operation in the first place.

Steel on steel still causes wear, NO the ammo steel isn't harder then the rifle steel, but softer items still cause wear on harder items.

Look at a set of steps in a very old building that are used a lot..... rubber causes wear on hard stone. (Chicago Union station steps for example)

I concur...modern guns I shoot Tula through all day long (Glock, AR and such) but in an old carbine I wouldn't.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

It does still apply. You are right, the ammo does run dirty and won't cycle in some weapons, not just old ones. You are also right about something softer causing wear, any type of friction will cause wear. The thing is, is that your rifling in your barrel will be the first to go before you see any damage from that steel case. That wear is going to be there no matter what type of ammo you shoot. So, if the carbine will cycle Tula just fine, why not shoot twice as much for the same cost?

I'm not saying you have to, as it's your choice not to, but please, don't come in here with those old internet rumors that the steel cases will damage your firearm. That is not true at all. The steel cases DO NOT cause any more wear than brass cases.

I concur...modern guns I shoot Tula through all day long (Glock, AR and such) but in an old carbine I wouldn't.

Why not? Do we know the year the OP's M1 was produced? It could be a modern M1... hell it could be an Auto Ordnance which would be newer than a Gen 1 Glock. You do know that M1 Carbines are still being produced today, correct?

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    Didn't the US issue steel cased ammo in WW2? I've shot a lot of Tula in 9mm, 45acp, 40 S&w, and 380. The only issue I had was hard primers with the 380. I shoot the stuff a lot. Clean the gun afterwards. Which you should be doing regardless of you ammo choice.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Again, we are NOT talking about ARs or other modern weapons, so that video doesn't apply. And yet there have been many posts on this thread that are bringing up inaccurate information for both modern and older firearms. You must not have even opened the link I provided as that addresses all firearms.

we are talking about Tula 30 carbine. Which runs dirty and won't cycle some carbines. Steel is harder to extract and the cartridge is marginal for gas operation in the first place. No disagreement on how dirty the ammo is and that it can have less power than American brass rounds. I would not use it for self defense purposes. Should we not also present accurate facts so the OP can decide what he wants to do and what he is comfortable with?

So by your 2 statements above, we should not even use rubber cased ammo (which does not exist) because even rubber will cause wear on the metal parts of a gun (Chicago Union station steps for example). Then why would you not exclude brass cased ammo from your list? Brass is much harder than rubber.

Comments in red above

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I've shot a bunch of 762x39 tula through both my sks and ak47 and never had any problems until the last outing. I let My ak sit in the safe for 6 or 7 days before cleaning it and the piston and gas tube had a bunch of rust spots on them. Only ran tulammo since the last cleaning so I think I got a batch of corrosive primer. Other than that its been 100% reliable.:ar15:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    JT1968;5441549[COLOR=#FF0000 said:
    ]Didn't the US issue steel cased ammo in WW2? I've shot a lot of Tula in 9mm, 45acp, 40 S&w, and 380. The only issue I had was hard primers with the 380. I shoot the stuff a lot. Clean the gun afterwards. Which you should be doing regardless of you ammo choice.

Yes there were millions of rds of steel case 30 M1 carbine ammo produced , much of it here in Indiana at Evansville Ordnance ( Chrysler) . USGI small arms ammo utilizing steel cases was zinc plated
    for corrosion resistance.
    30carbine_sc.jpg

The Evansville plant is often mistakenly said as being in Ohio.
    According to Chrysler there were 485 million rds of 30 M1 carbine ammo and 2.8 billion rds of 45acp produced at EO. The following excerpt from Chrysler......
    Chrysler’s Evansville, Indiana, factory literally produced “bullets by the billions,”
    including some 485 million cartridges for .30-caliber carbines and nearly 2.8 billion cartridges
    for .45-caliber carbines. Just as Chrysler prepared for production at its Evansville plant in July
    1942, the Ordnance Department ordered the automaker to substitute steel for brass for the
    cartridge cases. Although this last minute change required Chrysler to retool much of the
    plant, full-scale production began in October.

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/com...1940/Chapter Seven – Chrysler Goes to War.pdf

International Ammunition Association {iaaforum.org} - View topic - 1943 EC steel case .30 Carbine

Last edited:

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    It does still apply. You are right, the ammo does run dirty and won't cycle in some weapons, not just old ones. You are also right about something softer causing wear, any type of friction will cause wear. The thing is, is that your rifling in your barrel will be the first to go before you see any damage from that steel case. That wear is going to be there no matter what type of ammo you shoot. So, if the carbine will cycle Tula just fine, why not shoot twice as much for the same cost?

I'm not saying you have to, as it's your choice not to, but please, don't come in here with those old internet rumors that the steel cases will damage your firearm. That is not true at all. The steel cases DO NOT cause any more wear than brass cases.

Why not? Do we know the year the OP's M1 was produced? It could be a modern M1... hell it could be an Auto Ordnance which would be newer than a Gen 1 Glock. You do know that M1 Carbines are still being produced today, correct?

Hence why I said "old" carbine...read the line you quoted of mine more throughly before making accusations.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Hence why I said "old" carbine...read the line you quoted of mine more throughly before making accusations.

Still wondering why you wouldn't run it through an old one... It's not like the age is going to make a difference. I completely comprehend what you are saying, I was simply adding that they are still made and while you were making the accusation that the OP had an older one, that they are actually still making new ones. And yes, you did assume he had an old one because you said "modern guns (AR's, Glocks, and such) but not an old carbine". A better statement would have been, "I would run it through a modern 30 carbine, but not an old one."

Just saying... not trying to start an arguement, but realistically, why wouldn't you run it through a 1960's 30 carbine?

Top Bottom