• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    This is my first new thread so go easy on me. This morning about 1:33 am the birds in and around the barn sounded a danger alarm (We raise chickens, turkeys and ducks) I jumped out of bed and flipped on the spot lights to see what was going on and my wife stuck her head out of the window while I was looking for my glasses and said there was a coon or opossum or something out there trying to get into the barn. I told her to keep her eye on it while I found my glasses which was taking entirely too long and I was thinking if this was a home defense situation we would be in big trouble. So finally. I had on some pants, shoes, glasses and I grabbed my daily carry 9mm and my small flashlight (at least I could lay hand to the weapon and flashlight without looking) I walked out to the barn while my wife kept her eye on the critter until I located it. Turned out to be a big fat Opossum which started to run around the barn when I approached. I spotted it with the light and site shot the 9mm the round hit it in the back of the neck and removed the top of the head. It seemed be an instant kill. Then I noticed the pain in my left hand. I immediately knew that I had been hit in the heal of the hand by the slide of my weapon and thought now that was dumb. I have practiced Tactical flashlight use with my 9mm but, had never actually fired it when practicing. My advice is to make sure you keep your left hand low enough to stay out of the way of the slide. I don't think I broke any bones but, I was not so sure for awhile and it is still very painful. Oh yea that corbon jacketed hollow point really caused a lot of bleeding in that opossum. I have killed them (raccoons too) with shotguns and rifles and never had so much blood.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    The good thing about this story is you know the things you could improve on for home defense, and other situations! (and nobody was hurt besides the possum.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Good shooting! At least you figured out what you need to work on in a HD situation. Trying to find your glasses in the dark is not fun, especially when you're half asleep.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    This is my first new thread so go easy on me. This morning about 1:33 am the birds in and around the barn sounded a danger alarm (We raise chickens, turkeys and ducks) I jumped out of bed and flipped on the spot lights to see what was going on and my wife stuck her head out of the window while I was looking for my glasses and said there was a coon or opossum or something out there trying to get into the barn. I told her to keep her eye on it while I found my glasses which was taking entirely too long and I was thinking if this was a home defense situation we would be in big trouble. So finally. I had on some pants, shoes, glasses and I grabbed my daily carry 9mm and my small flashlight (at least I could lay hand to the weapon and flashlight without looking) I walked out to the barn while my wife kept her eye on the critter until I located it. Turned out to be a big fat Opossum which started to run around the barn when I approached. I spotted it with the light and site shot the 9mm the round hit it in the back of the neck and removed the top of the head. It seemed be an instant kill. Then I noticed the pain in my left hand. I immediately knew that I had been hit in the heal of the hand by the slide of my weapon and thought now that was dumb. I have practiced Tactical flashlight use with my 9mm but, had never actually fired it when practicing. My advice is to make sure you keep your left hand low enough to stay out of the way of the slide. I don't think I broke any bones but, I was not so sure for awhile and it is still very painful. Oh yea that corbon jacketed hollow point really caused a lot of bleeding in that opossum. I have killed them (raccoons too) with shotguns and rifles and never had so much blood.
    WOW! I'm glad I decided not to wear the Opossum costume trick or treating at your house last night. :D OH, thats right, I was in bed by 9:00 PM.........never mind.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The good thing about this story is you know the things you could improve on for home defense, and other situations! (and nobody was hurt besides the possum.

Yea that was really the point for me to write this out so, I could improve things for a HD situation.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Yea that was really the point for me to write this out so, I could improve things for a HD situation.

Best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice.

I think my wife could get to our HD positions in her sleep. (which is good because she wakes up VERY slowly)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    next time

Best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice.

I think my wife could get to our HD positions in her sleep. (which is good because she wakes up VERY slowly)

Next time save the round. grab your running shoes and a hammer. Neater and cheaper. And you don't need pants!:rockwoot:

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    had one in the yard a few weeks back, kept the dog barking for about an hour when I finally went to investigate. saw it out the window, all I had was a 22 with a scope & the 40, needless to say he was gone by the time I got outside. I am not sure what the neighbors would have done with a 40 cal in the middle of the night. now I also have the 12 ga to shoot them with.

Loopie159753

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    South Bend, Indiana
    It’s about 1:50 am and I just came in from killing a possum. I had set the bag of trash on the deck instead of taking it to the garbage can. I heard some noise outside and when I looked out the window I saw what I thought were three cats fighting. One “cat” went one way and the other two went the other way. I opened the door to see if they had already gotten into the trash and seen the butt of a possum sticking out of the trash bag. Now all I have is a .45 handgun so that was out of the question so my next option was a 1000fps pellet rifle gun. I shot it in the butt and it ran all the way into the bag. I went to get another pellet and when I came back I had to follow a trail of blood to a pile of scrap metal it was hiding under. I shined the flashlight under the pile and seen its eyes glowing but it just stared at me. I aimed right between the eyes and took it out. It twitched for awhile but its dead now. Now that I think about it while I’m typing I still didn’t take the trash bag to the can. Oh well I’ll do it in the morning.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    It’s about 1:50 am and I just came in from killing a possum. I had set the bag of trash on the deck instead of taking it to the garbage can. I heard some noise outside and when I looked out the window I saw what I thought were three cats fighting. One “cat” went one way and the other two went the other way. I opened the door to see if they had already gotten into the trash and seen the butt of a possum sticking out of the trash bag. Now all I have is a .45 handgun so that was out of the question so my next option was a 1000fps pellet rifle gun. I shot it in the butt and it ran all the way into the bag. I went to get another pellet and when I came back I had to follow a trail of blood to a pile of scrap metal it was hiding under. I shined the flashlight under the pile and seen its eyes glowing but it just stared at me. I aimed right between the eyes and took it out. It twitched for awhile but its dead now. Now that I think about it while I’m typing I still didn’t take the trash bag to the can. Oh well I’ll do it in the morning.
    Nice work:rockwoot:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You sure he is dead? Maybe he is just "playing possum".

As to the whole flashlight thing, try crossing your arms at the wrist. Rest your shooting wrist on top of your flashlight wrist. That way the slide wont hit your hand when you fire.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    You sure he is dead? Maybe he is just "playing possum".

As to the whole flashlight thing, try crossing your arms at the wrist. Rest your shooting wrist on top of your flashlight wrist. That way the slide wont hit your hand when you fire.
    Now you tell me. I did it that way just had the wrong hand on top:dunno:

Top Bottom