Optic options for a 7.62x54r Vepr w/23" barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I'm driving myself insane trying to figure out would would be the best way to go. I would like to stick with the more traditional look of the POSP/PSO series, but I can't seem to find anyone who sells them besides Kalinka. (I hear they suck?)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if you want traditional/authentic then POSP is the way to go. There aren't many options out there for new and the ones that Kalinka sells are the real deal. I've never had any issues with them.

that said, if you're not completely hung up on traditional, then I would look at a side mount picitany rail, like from RS Regulate, and then pick the regular scope of your choice. Better options choices this way, and still uses the side mount rail.

like this:
    Vepr_010.jpg

Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    TheWabbit, that's one sexy setup you have!! Mind me asking the stock set your using?

Clay thanks for the photo. I talked to a friend of mine who has ordered from Kalinka and has liked what he's gotten. I guess I'll order one and see how it goes

Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Not really Mohawk, the cheapest I know of are the SGM mags, which really, can be hit or miss in terms of overall function.

I know CSspec makes some steel mags for the .308 Veprs and the smaller calibers. They've stated they have tried to make steel mags for the 54r version but keep running into rimlock issues.

Overall, if your eyeing one, I'd go ahead and get one. All it takes is a politician to open there hole about russian arms imports,...then boom, a lifetime of regret lol.

They are pricey, but boy are they worth every penny.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    TheWabbit, that's one sexy setup you have!! Mind me asking the stock set your using?

In that photo, she has an Arsenal NATO length stock. Currently she has a Magpul Zhukov stock attached. Neither stock was designed for the 1.5mm receiver so I had to do some minor surgery to make them fit. Also, my rifle has the square back, not the slant. I don't know how those stocks would fit with the square adapter.

attachment.php

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I hope this isn't a thread jacking, but I've been admiring these from afar. Do you all like them and would you recommend them to someone? How do they compare to say a Romanian PSL?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Yes and better. PSL is a poor man's SVD but now "collectible" and over priced. The parts are impossible to find and the magazines are even scarcer than VEPR 54 mags. This rifle shoots very well and is built like a tank.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I wouldn't say they suck... they (the psop) are designed to be quite user friendly. One of the fastest dope'ing scopes available. And unlike most scopes you can visually see your current ranging and remove it (no guess work to find zero again) therefore no counting clicks and have to remember to remove them at the end of the day

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I hope this isn't a thread jacking, but I've been admiring these from afar. Do you all like them and would you recommend them to someone? How do they compare to say a Romanian PSL?

1) they can safely handle heavy ball ammo unlike the psl
    2) bolt/carrier is much lighter (less violent cycling)
    3) they are properly gased
    4) have a higher twist rate for that heavy ball
    5) and the gas block is adjustable
    6) heavier profiled barrel

I love my PSL they have a lot of history with us OIF and OEF vets...but at the 1200 and 1400 price point there now way overpriced.. think I have maybe $650 in mine

However I do have a kit I'm currently building up as a heavy barrel and I hope to address and correct much of these problems and see if it will give the PSL a second wind

Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    As an owner of 2 PSL rifles I can say that the Vepr blows the PSL out of the water! Shooting anything over 152gr in a PSL can damage your rifle and your life. The rifle just can't seem to handle heavy ball ammo. Parts are quite hard to come by and cost a fortune when you locate some. It's got a cool history and it's an attention getter at the range, but other than that, pay half the price and get double the rifle and get the Vepr!!

Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks duffman. I went ahead and actually purchased a 8x42 V from Eastwave, so I assume it's as real as a POSP as we can get. From everything I've read they seem to be great for the dollar amount.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Thanks duffman. I went ahead and actually purchased a 8x42 V from Eastwave, so I assume it's as real as a POSP as we can get. From everything I've read they seem to be great for the dollar amount.

Enjoy it.... I was gonna pick up a veper or a while but ended up with a Yugoslavia m76 8mm talk about a heavy setup

Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Wow...an 8mm powerhouse!! I've eyed several at some local shops, but I felt they were asking way too much. A shop here in Jeffersonville was asking $2900 for one, that, to me, didn't seem like it would be worth that.

I don't know much about them but I'd like to find my way to one eventually!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Wow...an 8mm powerhouse!! I've eyed several at some local shops, but I felt they were asking way too much. A shop here in Jeffersonville was asking $2900 for one, that, to me, didn't seem like it would be worth that.

I don't know much about them but I'd like to find my way to one eventually!

Way over priced maybe 1400-1500at the highest (plenty at 1100 and that includes the Zak scope

Top Bottom