• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I want to put an optic on this Colt carbine. Was thinking something like a 1x-6x for 50-200 yd shooting. Will I have any problems with the front sight interfering with my view?

541EA052-6AF9-4310-AB21-37FA1F973803_1_105_c.jpeg

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Thanks for the replies. Now I just gotta figure out which optic to get. That could be a whole other thread in itself.
    It certainly could, though there's gonna be a bunch out there already!
    What you'll discover in all of them is that for useful recommendations to pour forth...

We, the Internet, need to know:
    • your use for this optic/rifle (distances & target-types)
    • your expected budget.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks for the replies. Now I just gotta figure out which optic to get. That could be a whole other thread in itself.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Something I learned the hard way. More power is not always better. Unless you are shooting heavy bench rest, too much magnification holds you back. At 1000 yard prone matches, even a $1300 24X benchrest scope does not work. It magnifies every body movement, including your heart beat. You will lay there with perfect form and get seasick. Been there done that.

I shot the same scores with iron sights at 1000 that I shot with a scope. (good irons, like $700/set) I ended up with a good quality 6X target grade scope. I also had a 10X target scope, but even that was a little too much.

It is my opinion that a Good quality 3X scope will do fine for even a top grade AR. I know bench guys use way bigger scopes, but I never heard of Uncle Sam issuing shooting benches.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Something I learned the hard way. More power is not always better. Unless you are shooting heavy bench rest, too much magnification holds you back. At 1000 yard prone matches, even a $1300 24X benchrest scope does not work. It magnifies every body movement, including your heart beat. You will lay there with perfect form and get seasick. Been there done that.

I shot the same scores with iron sights at 1000 that I shot with a scope. (good irons, like $700/set) I ended up with a good quality 6X target grade scope. I also had a 10X target scope, but even that was a little too much.

It is my opinion that a Good quality 3X scope will do fine for even a top grade AR. I know bench guys use way bigger scopes, but I never heard of Uncle Sam issuing shooting benches.
    That's why I was thinking 1-6X. I do a lot of bench shooting for groups with bolt guns and own several variable high power scopes. However, I try to achieve my goals using the middle of the magnification range because of the issues mentioned above.

Reactions: Leo

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I'll second the Larue QT mount as I have the exact same issue and was worrying about seeing the front sight post at low powers, which I don't.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The highest ive run afield is 12x and that off a Harris bipod. Reg varmint rifles to 450 yards.

Have run fixed and variables.

3-9x, 3.5-10x or 4-12x......theyre either cranked all the way up, or all the way down.

For a non bipod rifle a 2-7x is pretty nice. But thats old school. They have stuff that goes beyond 3 times power in range now.

Have a 2-7x on a deer rifle and i can see the front sight at 2x. I run it as a 3-7x LOL

Could remove my sight but leaving it on means less chance of losing it

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    F&S did a study some time back, a test really and most folks did better from field positions w scopes maxd around 6x.

I would agree as more mag makes more wobble visible. Too many fight the wobble, makes things worse.

But if shooting 100 from a bench id run something up to 12x.

Top Bottom