• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Hey guys, I am looking for a red dot optic for my AK. I am open to any "style" optic ( ie. Aimpoint T1 or RMR style). What recommendations do you guys have? I prefer to keep the cost under $300. Thank you for your help.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a Primary Arms Micro Dot on one of my AKs. I like it. It is supposed to co-witness with the right rail, but I guess I don't have the right rail. I can pick up the front sight but the only way to see the rear is to elevate it too much.

Have a Mak-90 that I put a side mount on so I could get a red dot on top. It was way too high for me.

There are a lot more serious AK runners on here and I am sure they will chime in with what works for them.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, check those threads.

Ill throw in my 2 cents.

Ive tried out a few different optics and mounts over the last 6 months.

My favorite optic is a micro dot. Be it a primary arms or an Aimpoint T1.

My favorite optic *mounts* are the ultimak, OR the RS Regulate micro mount that uses the side rail. My only issues with the ultimak is it makes cleaning corrosive ammo more difficult, because you have to remove it, and then you have to check your zero after you put it back on.

but I really love the RS regulate mount. On and off, while maintaining zero no problem.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Here's a pic of it mounted on my SGL to give you an idea of how low it sits
    IMG_0011-1.jpg

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    As others have said, RS Regulate for side mounts, Ultimak for gas tube. If you have to go railed handguard, Midwest Industries. You can also go TWS if you can find them in stock which will give you a rail over your dust cover. (Any of you guys tried out the Parabellum Arms mount yet? there seems to be a internet battle between them and TWS and I can't find the actual real world truth.)

I really wish you'd quit doing that.
    +1

Well, excuse me. We can't all be hot rodding around in tricked out Fiero's, rocking banana hammock's, and rolling with uber sexy AK's in ATAC camo :laugh:
    +1
    I forget, does it co-witness? It looks definitely low enough but then the emitters and etc. can get in the way.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I don't have a plum 74 and he keeps taunting me. I have a right to be mad... He also just sent some rep my way which pisses me off even more. I'm sure a spiker picture will show up here soon, and if that happens, i'll set my fiero on fire and crash it through his living room.

Matt will you tell tradertator that i am not talking to him? This time I'm serious. I hope his optic gets foggy from Oleg spilling vodka into it while on the assembly line.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Tradertator,

Vitamink is not talking to you. I know that will come as a deep shock and pain. Try not to do a grump on his Fiero. Keep the faith, at least you have a rocking Plum 74 and don't wear a banana hammock.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Where's clay?!

Clay, when you get here, please inform Matt that i no longer will be speaking to him. Clay, then tell Matt to tell tradertator that he is no longer welcome to show his AK's in any thread that i may frequent unless said AK is of lesser awesomeness than my own.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Matt, will tell VitaminK that his stupid Battlecoated AK thread has made me want to break my cardinal rule of keeping AK's plain and simple, and deck my Vector underfolder out in US Palm gear. That stupid thread is going to cost me some serious dough by the time it's all said and done :laugh:.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mr Jagg is who's really to blame for my PK optic. Plus the sucker ended up with my old Kobra.

I do what I can...

Although you started the whole AK thing for me in the first place...

So if you think about it, you are to blame for making me to blame.

Kobra likes living with me better anyways. ;)

russianglass.jpg

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The PK-01 setup linked earlier may be in the cards for me. I've wanted a Combloc optic but there are so many and I am not at all knowledgeable about them. This will work for me.

Clay I rarely remove an Ultimak. I soak the frontend of the gun with a Ballistol mix in a piece of PVC pipe then use a shotgun mop in the gas tube.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Will someone please tell JAG i'm not speaking to him either! And someone tell Tradertator "thank you, that's very nice of you to say!" ...for me, but i still refuse to speak to him. Someone please run Matt over with their car.

Update: I got to meet clay the other day and i am no longer speaking to him as his vehicle is fancier than mine.

03a3...we're cool still.

Top Bottom