• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    As far as getting a red dot I've been hearing "go with eotech" or "go with aimpoint". Is it pretty much like the Glock vs XD thing or is one better than the other? Also I watched a review for the vortex red dot, does anyone have one because for $200 that seems like a deal unless its not that good.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the aimpoint is probably the better optic....built like a tank and awesome battery life.

i had en EoTech 512 and really liked it though, even thought AAs didn't last very long. But the big donut of death reticle was much nicer than just the standard red dot

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Which Vortex are you talking about? The Strikefire or the SPARC?

I have the Strikefire on my S&W M&P15 and do not have any complaints.

Pictures from when I first installed it back in 2009.
    INGunOwners - iamaclone45's Album: Vortex Strikefire

My only real complaint is how easy the “on/off” button is to activate. If you keep the sight in any kind of soft case and leave the battery in, you will probably come back to a dead battery. I just keep the battery in the pistol grip compartment on my M&P15 until I am ready to go shooting.

Some have complained of the dot washing out in bright sunlight on the Strikefire. I have yet to see this after two years.

I consider the Strikefire to be on the higher end of the “budget” red dot sights.

If you are talking about the SPARC, then go check out the review that INGO member "full-auto” recently posted.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...139351-review_vortex_sparc_red_dot_sight.html

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is it pretty much like the Glock vs XD thing or is one better than the other?

It depends on how you quantify "better".

Longer battery life? Aimpoint wins hands down.

Smaller/lighter package? Aimpoint Micro wins, although the XPSs are smaller than the Aimpoint Comp series.

Less expensive? EOTech gets the nod.

Simple switchology? Aimpoint.

More rugged? Take your pick.

Better reticle? Personal preference.

Also I watched a review for the vortex red dot, does anyone have one because for $200 that seems like a deal unless its not that good.

IMO the Vortex red dots (Strikefire or SPARC) fall more into the "hobby optic" category and less into the "combat optic" category like Aimpoint and EOTech. So I guess it depends on your "mission".

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i went for price and i found an eotech 511/a65 on here for under 300 and i have to change batteries every 6-8 months which isnt much of a hassle for me. go with what ever you like but the top leading red dots for me would be in no specific order eotech, aimpont, and trijicon

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Which Vortex are you talking about? The Strikefire or the SPARC?

I have the Strikefire on my S&W M&P15 and do not have any complaints.

Pictures from when I first installed it back in 2009.
    INGunOwners - iamaclone45's Album: Vortex Strikefire

My only real complaint is how easy the “on/off” button is to activate. If you keep the sight in any kind of soft case and leave the battery in, you will probably come back to a dead battery. I just keep the battery in the pistol grip compartment on my M&P15 until I am ready to go shooting.

Some have complained of the dot washing out in bright sunlight on the Strikefire. I have yet to see this after two years.

I consider the Strikefire to be on the higher end of the “budget” red dot sights.

If you are talking about the SPARC, then go check out the review that INGO member "full-auto” recently posted.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...139351-review_vortex_sparc_red_dot_sight.html

^^This^^
    I put a Vortex Strikefire on my M&P15 and have been really happy with it. That being said, it's a fun gun, not something I'm trusting my life to. Mounts for it brought it up to a true co-witness for a standard fixed front sight. I havn't had any issues with the bright sun causing the dot to washout like some have complained (iirc this was a bigger problem a few years ago, not sure if they changed the design or what). I had planned on putting a higher quality optic on it at some point, but I've been happy enough with this to probably stay with it unless something about it's reliability changes my mind. I havn't tried the 2x magnifier that came with it yet. So far (2 months and probably 400rds) it's been as good as I could ask for my first red-dot.

Also, a review from INGO's Prometheus of the Strikefire
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...8-review_vortex_strikefire_red_dot_optic.html

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    AImpoint just came out with a Patrol Rifle Optic, SKD and Botach had them last I looked. It's a steal at $400 with the mount included...I think Botach was even throwin in some goodies.

Top Bottom