• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Have you thought about using see through scope mount rings? I have a set on my muzzleloader. I can use iron sights for close range or in chance of an optics malfunction.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    My buddy back in HS had a red dot on his shotgun. It was pretty damn accurate when I shot it at 50 yards. I say, like any optic, as long as its good quality, and you put the work into making sure its accurate, rock it.....

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I run a 1-4 power scope on my .44 mag marlin but I run a 3-9 Nikon on my 458 socom AR both work pretty well. I thought about a red dot on the 44 but I am pretty happy with the scope I have on it now. For ammo I like the Hornady ftx loads.

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    I'm certainly no expert, but I was born and raised in West Virgina, and for some reason, the 4x scope was king then and there.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I have used a Nikon ProStaff 2-7X32 on my single shot .500 for several years now. It has been a solid scope, although I had to replace a mount at one point.

Muzzleloader has a fixed 6 power Nikon Buckmasters... also a good scope. With the 2-7 power you can keep it low power for those close shots and crank it up if the deer are further out. Used to run iron sights only, but went to scopes 10 years ago and never went back. Even in the thickets, up close, a low power scope is great.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    If you can shoot irons well to 100 yards, I'd go with that. If you can install a peep from Williams or a similar company, I'd highly recommend that. I have peeps on my Ruger semi .44 intended for close or quick shots and have done well with it.

But some people can't shoot or see irons well.

In that case I would recommend a red dot or holographic site. My AR intended for closer, quick work on coyotes wears a holographic and I prefer them. Holographics are ideal when quick shouldering or shooting is required. I prefer them to scopes because of how quickly you can acquire a target and maintain perspective around the target (versus having your perspective limited to what you can see through the scope).

Top Bottom