Options on a reasonably priced tactical pen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    So after reading an article about the laws of Chicago I have decided to look into a tactical pen. Any advice on a decent one that is not going to set me back a fortune would be much appreciated.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    That is a really good question. Why the hell does a good tactical pen costs as much as a decent folding knife?

For example:

Gray Aluminum Benchmade Pen & Tactical Defense Tool w/ Blue Ink 1100-1 - Blade HQ $102.00

Benchmade Griptilian Manual Knife 551 (3.45" Satin Plain) - Blade HQ $93.50

Seems dumb to me I dont know.

But you might look into these:

Smith & Wesson Tactical Pen & Defense Tool (Black) SWPENBK - Blade HQ

Boker Plus Tactical Pen Kubaton (Black) 09BO090 - Blade HQ

Takedown DLX Tactical Defense Pen w/ Crown & Glow Insert (Gray) - Blade HQ

There are lots out there. These I found just by skimming Blade HQ real quick.

Might give Bradsknives and Knifelady here on INGO a try too.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I got a little "tactical" kit at walmart. Had a kershaw brawler, tac pen, and a cheapo light.

The pen is rock solid, and the knife isn't too shabby. I paid 20 bucks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I found out that a Parker Jotter stainless steel pain works great.
    It's solid but doesn't scream "weapon" like some other "tactical pens".

s0398094_sc7

It's also quite cheap and easy to find in stores.

Nick4562

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    dont spend too much money. You can get a good quality metal pen from walgreens or walmart or any store basically. will it be labeled "tactical" no, but it will get the job done and you can pick it up on your way home from work one day.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    So after reading an article about the laws of Chicago I have decided to look into a tactical pen. Any advice on a decent one that is not going to set me back a fortune would be much appreciated.
    Kind of fond of my Tuff Writer $89.95. Doesn't meet this inexpensive test but it is a great pen. Will write at -30 degrees and Cartridge is sealed with a 100 yr shelf life.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Kind of fond of my Tuff Writer $89.95. Doesn't meet this inexpensive test but it is a great pen. Will write at -30 degrees and Cartridge is sealed with a 100 yr shelf life.

I have three different Tuff Writer pens and a couple of CountyComms Embassy pens along with several Fisher Space Pens. I have a bit of a pen addiction so spending a little more, or a lot more, doesn't bother me. For me, I can tell where the extra money goes. There is a difference between the office supply store pens and a well made metal (some say tactical) pen. The weight and balance of many of these upper end "tactical" pens makes them great writers and in my world, that makes them worth the cost.

The other thing that draws me to these pens is the extra width that the office supply store pens don't have. I wear XL gloves and a thin pen makes my hands cramp up after a short while.

As you can see, using them as a weapon isn't what I buy them for, I happen to think they make great writing instruments!

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I have to say that I'm impressed at the variety of low-profile and inexpensive tools being recommended by the good folks posting on this thread. I have a few of these inexpensive stainless Sharpies that I have been known to carry from time to time in NPEs.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless-Permanent-Marker-1747388/dp/B001V9LQLG]Amazon.com: Sharpie Stainless Steel Fine Point Permanent Marker (1747388): Office Products[/ame]

Top Bottom