• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Just started listening...wow....honestly, I don't understand how she made it through law school..

Sometimes a lawyer has to work with what her client gave her to work with. An old saying is "If the law against you, argue the facts. If the facts are against you, argue the law." If you have neither the law or facts are on your side, then the client shouldn't have brought the case. Try telling that to the City of Chicago. We all know that the case is strictly politically driven, and the judges at the 7th Circuit don't like litigants wasting their time.

OP, thx for posting the link. It was a great listen.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    We always say, "if the law is with you, pound the law. If it isn't, pound the facts. If both are against you, pound the table. "

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I guess I don't understand what the big deal is. Why do they need shooting ranges in Chicago? Isn't the whole freakin city a shooting range?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I hear ya, but they need shooting ranges so those that LEGALLY carry guns in Chicago can do the shooting portion of the Illinois statute.

Absolutely. And I love the questioning from the judges to Chicago. If that town hadn't been so arrogant toward its own citizens this long, they wouldnt be dealing with the shooting range in the streets like they are. My purple got a little too dark.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    "Like convenience stores and gas stations?"

"Since it IS legal for residents to have handguns, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a range for them to learn the proper use of them?"
    Haahahahaha

At times, the Chicago lawyer seems a little defiant as first, but that doesn't last.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

But that's a great opinion. (Kanne is a Reagan appointee; Sykes is a G.W. Bush appointee. Neither of which means much. I grow more impressed with Sykes every time she authors an opinion.) Rovner (G.H.W. Bush - see, I told you it doesn't mean much), of course, has a dissenting concurrence. She drives me batty.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow.

But that's a great opinion. (Kanne is a Reagan appointee; Sykes is a G.W. Bush appointee. Neither of which means much. I grow more impressed with Sykes every time she authors an opinion.) Rovner (G.H.W. Bush - see, I told you it doesn't mean much), of course, has a dissenting concurrence. She drives me batty.

I've met and had dinner with Kanne. Again, he wouldn't remember.

Anyhoo, great opinion.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rovner (G.H.W. Bush - see, I told you it doesn't mean much)

That's the proper INGO spirit!

INGO: "That thar George Push ain't do nothing for us no how."

Kirk Freeman: "What about the PLCAA of 2005? Without it you would be shooting rubber bands but nothing else right now."

INGO: "Ron Paul!!!"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's the proper INGO spirit!

INGO: "That thar George Push ain't do nothing for us no how."

Kirk Freeman: "What about the PLCAA of 2005? Without it you would be shooting rubber bands but nothing else right now."

INGO: "Ron Paul!!!"

One of us needs more Zombie Dust. I can't figure out which. Maybe both.

I have no clue how your observation fits with my post. Even the short part you quoted. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The overbreadth of the "Bush didn't do nothing fer us" line of attack drives me up the wall.

Yeah, but which Bush? I mean, my reference was simply an observation that nominating presidents' parties don't really make much difference when it comes to appointing judges.

And my quote in your post was about Rovner, who rarely has an opinion I would agree with, was appointed by Bush 41. Your reference was to Bush 43. Or are you saying Sykes' appointment by Bush 43.

(And you do know I'm not one who says that, right.)

I'm overanalyzing, aren't I.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I disagree with this line
    But it was totally earthshaking in that it reestablished the Second Amendment right to keep and bear guns, not just collectively but also and especially for self-defense.

I think it has only been recently that people think it is not an individual right.
    And that the Supreme Court has never ruled that way.

Though I could be wrong.

Act, think of it this way, the Miller test was "did the weapon have a use in the military"?

Heller expanded this test to self-defense.

Top Bottom