• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    I never have ordered a gun online before and I'm more then slightly nervous doing it. Budsgunshop has really good price on a gun I want. How do I go about the whole FFL thing?? I'm completely new to this. Thanks

I'm all about supporting LGS but buds got them all beat on price by at least 35$ Not including tax.

can someone give me a how to? I'm near mccordsville so I could use m&j firearms for FFL. Unless someone's cheaper.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I never have ordered a gun online before and I'm more then slightly nervous doing it. Budsgunshop has really good price on a gun I want. How do I go about the whole FFL thing?? I'm completely new to this. Thanks

I'm all about supporting LGS but buds got them all beat on price by at least 35$ Not including tax.

can someone give me a how to? I'm near mccordsville so I could use m&j firearms for FFL. Unless someone's cheaper.

Buds will most likely already have the LGS on their FFL list to choose from. Call the LGS and let them know you want them to do a transfer from Buds, then purchase the firearm.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    ^ This. And while you are on the phone with M&J, ask what's the best price they can do...tell them you are comparing them to Buds. Paying cash sometimes helps too. They may match it. If the difference is $35 and tax is (estimating $35), That's $70. If the transfer fee is $50, M&J only needs to drop the price $20 to match the total cost of doing business with Buds. Basically, tell them you would like to support their business instead of online, and see what they will do for you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've bought several guns on-line and from several different retailers. Each time, I contacted my FFL-guy (a local guy that just loves to transfer guns), got a little form from him with his FFL information on it, ordered the gun, using their on-line system, scanned and emailed the FFL information, and waited less-than-patiently until they shipped it to my FFL-guy. Then stop buy, fill out the NICS form, pay him $25 and that's it. No problems.

As was mentioned above, Buds may already have your FFL-guy in their system so you may not have to send them any information. But before ordering, I'd still contact your FFL-guy and let him know your plans.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I've bought 3 guns from buds and am awaiting the arrival of my 4th any day. It is no problem at all but I have learned a few things.

1, when you purchase buds has a list of local FFLs to choose from. These are FFLs that buds has there information on file because they have accepted transfers before. Using one emlinates having to have your FFL send there info to buds.

2, check with your local FFL and ask them if they will accept transfers from Buds. Some will not or they will charge a much higher fee if it is an item that they stock.

3, if you pay via E-check in order to get the cash discounted price. Be prepared to wait at least a week to get your gun. Buds waits 5 business days for the e-check to clear before even sending your item to the shipping department. You can probably get it faster by mailing a money order to them.

4, when your item ships you will get an email with the tracking number, so you will know when it should arrive at your FFL. They will send along with your gun a packing slip with your contact info the the FFL and mine have always contacted me the same day the tracking said it would,

5, when you pick it up at the FFL. Inspect it thourolgy, if you ar not sure on how to check the operation your FFL will usually help you. This is critical because once you accept the transfer it is your gun. Some of the guns buds sell are shipped direct from the manufacturer and have been untouched since the assembly line. If there is a problem don't accept the transfer and contact Buds. If you accept the gun and it is defective, you can send it in for warranty service but you can't return it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    1) Call FFL. Verify they will do the transfer for you and verify the cost.
    2) If Buds doesn't already have the FFL's documents on record, ask the FFL to fax their FFL info, your name, and the product you're ordering to Buds. (Provide FFL with Buds fax number)
    3) Order from Buds
    4) Wait for the FFL to call you once they receive the firearm. You then just go pick it up and the FFL will do the NICS check to transfer it to you.
    5) As was stated above, INSPECT THE FIREARM THOROUGHLY before filling out and completing the NICS transfer. Do not accept the transfer if the gun has anything wrong with it. Once you accept the transfer, it's yours and the online retailer won't take it back. If anything is defective after the gun is transferred, you'll have to go through the manufacturer for a warranty claim.

It's really simple and easy. The first time seems complicated and odd, but FFL's and the online retailers do this all the time. They know what's going on.

Also, don't pay more than $25 for a transfer. If an FFL wants more than that, they're trying to screw you and punish you for not buying through them. Typical transfer fee is $15-25. If you're transferring multiple guns, you'll need to work out the cost with the FFL. Always work out the cost BEFORE having the online retailer ship the FFL anything.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends what tax is. If it's $35 cheaper on a $1000 gun and Buds doesn't charge tax, it's really $105 cheaper before transfer fees.

Although, we all file those extra state sales taxes that were missed due to online sales at the end of the year like we're supposed to do, right?

Your probably going to pay a 20ish dollar transfer fee. If Buds beat your shop by 35 bucks, this seems like a lot of hassle to save 15 dollars.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So if you get a $25 transfer fee you have saved MAYBE $10.00 and had a great deal of time spent waiting and dealing with all of this.

$10.00.

Yeah yeah yeah.....the tax thing.

What a hassle for little to nothing.

Never buy a gun you can not fully inspect before purchase. Hold it. Look it over. At the LGS you can give it back. From Buds........what a freaking hassle to return it.

For $10.00

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Never bought a gun from Buds but it appears they are banking on people not paying attention to the details. I don't want to jump through the additional hoops just to save a few bucks.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I wouldn't say that at all. They have their policy that you agree to before purchasing. If you don't read it and understand it, that's your fault.

They aren't trying to trick you. It's all right there in black and white. All you have to do is read.

I've done a lot of purchases through online retailers. Typically, it's stuff that's not available locally. In some cases, the prices are so far below what any brick and mortar around here will sell for that buying from a brick and mortar is unjustifiable.

Never bought a gun from Buds but it appears they are banking on people not paying attention to the details. I don't want to jump through the additional hoops just to save a few bucks.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have done several purchases with Buds Guns - all went very smoothly except they can sometimes take a couple weeks to ship. I am surprised the savings is only $35. I am currently looking at a Savage Mark II-F for my sons to use and it's around $145 with free shipping. Most other places want $225 so that is well worth what some are calling a hassle. The free shipping with the no sales tax and the lower price more than compensates for a $20 FFL fee.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have done several purchases with Buds Guns - all went very smoothly except they can sometimes take a couple weeks to ship. I am surprised the savings is only $35. I am currently looking at a Savage Mark II-F for my sons to use and it's around $145 with free shipping. Most other places want $225 so that is well worth what some are calling a hassle. The free shipping with the no sales tax and the lower price more than compensates for a $20 FFL fee.

I am calling saving $10 a hassle.

$10 is not worth the hassle.

$80.......well yes......Maybe.
    I hate to buy a gun I am not able to see/hold/fondle.

Old school.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I just purchased from Buds. Saved around $150.00 from what my LGS could do. It took much longer than I would have expected as stated by others. Other than the delay, I found the whole transaction went quite smooth.

I would much rather support a local business, but it's tough passing up that kind of savings.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've bought several guns online and a few in gun shops, it just depends on the deal. If I can find what I'm looking for online and it's at least $50 cheaper than what I'd pay at the LGS, including shipping and FFL, I buy online. If the difference is less then $50, I buy local. Works for me...

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    If you are going to order online, make sure Buds has the best price. Go to gunwatcher.com or slickguns.com to search the for the gun you want to see if someone has it cheaper. I've bought guns from Palmetto State, Northwest Armory, and Fat Boy Tactical all online and all have been very painless.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you select a preferred FFL from Bud's list you don't even have to call them. They will call you when they have the gun signed in and ready for transfer. It's pretty easy.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have bought guns from Buds, traded guns from Buds and purchased accessories from Buds. Generally I find them to be easy to deal with. However, I find the wait time to be longer than I like. Sometimes that us due to the LGS. Like if I send it to Cabelas, Cabelas takes a long time to sign it into there store and then to call you to let you know it's in. I suspect they do that on purpose.

I use Buds to get what I think is a good base line price on a gun. Then I will search around locally for it because that is the way I prefer to buy. Most of the time the price of the gun locally is not that much more by the time you add in the transfer fee.

I just bought a rifled deer barrel from Buds last week for my Remington 1100. They had it in stock when many others did not. They also were up to over $100 cheaper than many others online had it. Also, this was able to ship directly to my house so there was no transfer fee. I found this to be the best use of Buds. But man, it took a long time from the time I placed the order until I received the barrel.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    ...Cabelas takes a long time to sign it into there store and then to call you to let you know it's in. I suspect they do that on purpose.

If their system is anything like the Goose Mtn system, it's not on purpose. It's multiple people having to do their paperwork and move the gun onto the next person. Shipper makes delivery at back door/receiving. Receiving has to sign for it, take the gun box out of the shipping box (unless it's a used gun with no box), receive it into the system (takes a few minutes if it's multiple guns because they'll do them all at the same time), then take said guns to the vault, attach the packing slip and put it on a designated shelf. Somewhere along the line they call the purchasers to let them know their guns are there. Usually the deliveries came very late morning/early afternoon.

Top Bottom