• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Whatever. The point is that the minute you let your Aspie tendencies overcome your brain, you will end up hurt.

I have money on the words he was yelling as he was on the tile making blood angels: "I didn't know it waz no ways low-dead."

Don't end up this way. Do not listen to the morons who believe it is safe to point guns at others or yourself. Education and discipline protects us individually and as a gun culture.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Why are you guys writing this way? Do you speak in this sort of slang?

I think I decoded most of this, but what on earth does suck that snake into food blisters mean in this context?
    Hey, if you had to think about the phrase "booger hook on the bang switch" then it accomplished my goal...SAFETY!! Most folks just gloss over posts and loose the major points.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Generally slang is used to exclude or create the illusion of exclusivity rather than make people think, which seems opposite the stated intentions. Pithy sayings like Cooper's Four Rules stick in the head but full on slang is usually an Us vs Them tool.

I get that building one's internet personality involves a good dose of the above to stand out from the crowd but a gun safety thread is, to me, a strange place to be working on that.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Generally slang is used to exclude or create the illusion of exclusivity rather than make people think, which seems opposite the stated intentions. Pithy sayings like Cooper's Four Rules stick in the head but full on slang is usually an Us vs Them tool.

I get that building one's internet personality involves a good dose of the above to stand out from the crowd but a gun safety thread is, to me, a strange place to be working on that.
    I appreciate the etiquette lesson as I'm sure some of us do.
    Thank goodness for the Constitution letting us say pretty much anything we want.
    This site does nurture it's own language to an extent and some of these subjects are beat to death by stupidity of idiots "accidentally" discharging a round into their self.
    Dang Stick, sup?

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to get defensive. I'm not suggesting the Federal Government take steps to prevent anyone from translating the Four Rules to slang, so the Constitution doesn't figure in in any way at all.

The only thing I'm suggesting is that if the actual goal is to promote gun safety to a broader audience it might be that employing slang is hurting rather than helping. If that isn't the actual goal, carry on. If anyone disagrees and believes the slang helps, I'm asking for their thoughts on why.

That is all.

I am not arguing for repeal of the First Amendment, or even that INGO ban slang.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to get defensive. I'm not suggesting the Federal Government take steps to prevent anyone from translating the Four Rules to slang, so the Constitution doesn't figure in in any way at all.

The only thing I'm suggesting is that if the actual goal is to promote gun safety to a broader audience it might be that employing slang is hurting rather than helping. If that isn't the actual goal, carry on. If anyone disagrees and believes the slang helps, I'm asking for their thoughts on why.

That is all.

I am not arguing for repeal of the First Amendment, or even that INGO ban slang.

Hell Stickfight,
    I got to agree with you on a bunch of the slang. I don't understand it all and I'm on here way too much. I'm just glad it's not some motorcycle rider posting it so none/very few of us can understand a thing he posts.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

That is all.

It got a rise out of you. Your honor, I rest my case!:rockwoot:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why are you guys writing this way? Do you speak in this sort of slang?

So people will remember it and not do moronic acts with firearms.

You use slang to cut through the clutter which is how most people see "safety rules". Their eyes glaze over because they are sooo much smarter than those safety rules.

You use slang to shake them out of their slumber or lethargy.

I think I decoded most of this, but what on earth does suck that snake into food blisters mean in this context?

If you watch how the gun store clerks handle firearms, one of the most terrifying things they do is point the pistol at their stomachs and run the slide. This is how they shoot themselves.

Snake=pistol
    Food blister=their guts

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I used to tell the kids taking the First Shots classes to "Keep their booger-hooks off of the bang switch" until ready to fire.
    It may sound stupid, but it was effective. You could see in their eyes that they fully understood the analogy.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yep, treat 'em all "as if they're loaded" until you "know" they "aren't".

The most important rule should go first. And that is don't point your damn gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

Yep, here we go again. Why the hell would anyone treat a gun like anything other than what it is, a gun? Treat them all the same way all the time, like the potentially dangerous instruments they are. Cut the mindset crap. Don't point them at anything you don't want to shoot, don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot, and only load them if you're ready to use them. And that does mean defensively in your holster or even on your nightstand.

Follow these rules when handling, never break them, and all but eliminate the chances of anything bad happening. Now, does anyone make a plate carrier with Nomex(TM) lining?

:flamethrower:
    :horse:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why the hell would anyone treat a gun like anything other than what it is, a gun?

Because people are ignorant. They have not been taught and, more importantly, they have not learned.

Man is an undisciplined monkey with no inherent sense of order or "common sense". He must be taught.

As well, very few people as a percentage of the general population have been shot. Many have injured themselves with knives. Thus, people are terrified of knives, but have no idea how destructive gunfire is.

Ask any INGOer cop how many times they have had people curse or make obscene gestures when they have guns pointed at them. I was teaching the legal portion of a class at Wildcat Valley. I watched the class wave guns about like cheerleaders with pom-poms on the range. However, as I was waiting for my time, I opened my folding knife to cut open a tangelo. The knife made an audible click (Spyderco Endura II SS). Every. Single. Person in the class turned to look at the knife and some made audible monkey hoots.

Why were they waving guns around like pom poms but all expressed concern over a knife being opened behind them? Because they had all been cut by a knife (usually their own in the kitchen over a bagel), but few of them had shot themselves or seen others shot.

Why do they treat guns like things other than guns? Because they don't know any better. That is why the safety rules are so important. They give order out of chaos. They make undisciplined hooting monkeys that points guns at themselves into men handling dangerous machinery.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I took my son-in-law to his first gun show. At one table, some old dude was trying to pull the bolt back on some old military semi-auto. He had the butt of the gun in his stomach and kept pointing it at my SIL. It looked like the gun was radar controlled. As my SIL kept walking, the old dude unintentionally followed him with the muzzle. We both commented on the stupidity as we left the area in a hurry. I still wonder if the problem was a stuck live round in the chamber!:nailbite:

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Thanks for the explanation.

I didn't think of it appealing to kids but I can see that. As a grown-up the appeal is lost on me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It looked like the gun was radar controlled. As my SIL kept walking, the old dude unintentionally followed him with the muzzle.

It was NOT unintentional.

Monkeys like to fling poo. We have all seen those in the gun culture that get a large rise out of being unsafe with firearms. They think it is hip and cool, or marks them as special or bad***.

Top Bottom