• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Are there any specific limitations to carrying that effect OTR Commercial Truck drivers that wouldn't otherwise effect someone traveling in a non-commercial vehicle?

For example, as an IN resident traveling through IL with an LTCH, its my understanding based on the way the IL law is written, that you can have your firearm in the car, loaded, out of plain sight.

Is there a different set of laws that apply to an OTR driver?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Unless it has changed in the last few years there is no law that prohibits commercial drivers from carrying BUT most of the companies they work for forbid it. I always carried on the road but I met a lot of other drivers that swore it was against the law. Never could quote the law though. The problem comes if you must drive your truck onto almost any Federal facility, port or military base. You are usually searched going in.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The only thing to watch out for as drail stated above is ports and Fed property. If you run a dedicated route you'll be fine. Just follow the laws per the state you're in.

There is absolutely nothing in the regs that prohibit it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This used to arise on GlockTalk frequently. Someone would assert that DOT or some other three letter agency prohibited guns in trucks, but they could never cite a source (because it didn't exist). It's virtually impossible to convince someone who already believes this particular myth to even consider that they might be wrong.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    It's annoying to try to research this issue simply because if you go looking for the "law" in question, you can't find what doesn't exist. I've had the same silly conversation with other drivers. One tried to say that the American Trucking Association bars drivers from carrying. I told him there's a huge difference between policy and actual laws. I don't answer to or work for the ATA so they can keep their suggestions to themselves. Few things are harder to kill than rumors in transportation. Carry on.

Chris

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Me and a fellow driver had this discussion with our boss one day. So we pulled out the little FMCA law book. It said that you had to follow the laws of the state you were in. My boss still didn't believe us.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I'm curious how a sleeper tractor could impact the discussion as I recall being convinced at one time that a domicile carried a distinct consideration. At least in some jurisdictions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm curious how a sleeper tractor could impact the discussion as I recall being convinced at one time that a domicile carried a distinct consideration. At least in some jurisdictions.

Some laws use language akin to "fixed place of residence."

GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    One would think,that an OTR driver, could assert that their tractor was their permanent place of residence. Furthermore, insisting that they have the constitutionally protected right to have a firearm in their home.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One would think,that an OTR driver, could assert that their tractor was their permanent place of residence. Furthermore, insisting that they have the constitutionally protected right to have a firearm in their home.

That all hinges on the exact language in the law. As evidenced just above your post, Rhino says most laws use a language similar to "fixed place of residence". I think a trucker would have a hard time arguing in court that his truck is "fixed".

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In the instances of the sleeper tractors, I'd think that the "motor home" laws would be more applicable.

Some states allow loaded firearms within motor homes to be akin to having them in your own home. Some states forbid it; some don't.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield

I think the only ones that could be considered homes are the super condos. They have a bathroom, shower, and full kitchen in them.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    I always kept a revolver in the sleeper berth when I drove. Many companies frown on it though. They never knew I was armed as I kept that little bit of info private. Had to hide it really well one time as dispatch sent me in Canada to pick up a loaded trailer. They looked around in my truck but were not able to find it, nervous day for me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    In the instances of the sleeper tractors, I'd think that the "motor home" laws would be more applicable.

Some states allow loaded firearms within motor homes to be akin to having them in your own home. Some states forbid it; some don't.

Please cite code for your assertions. Do not espouse what you think you know as fact. Please.

No offense intended. Trying to keep this useful.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Please cite code for your assertions. Do not espouse what you think you know as fact. Please.

??

What is your point here? Do you think semi trucks with sleepers wouldn't qualify as being most similar to a motorhome (mobile home that travels on the highways)? Or are you trying to say that his assertion that some states treat motorhomes the same as having them in your own home?

For the former, I doubt there is any specific codes; it would be more up to case law, and I think the burden would be on you to provide case-law that goes contrary to the assertion that a semi-truck with a sleeper is most similar to a motorhome (mobile living quarters).

For the latter, that is simple, you can do the legwork on that one, go to handgunlaw.us In each of their publications for each state they state if vehicles and/or motorhomes are treated similar to a fixed place of residence. No need for TF to go through the arduous process of researching legal codes; the info is already in the public domain, all at the very same website.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Dude.

I'm not asserting anything. "I'd THINK" that the "motor home" laws would be more applicable."

Indiana:
    You can not carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle without a Valid Permit/License.
    IC 35-47-2-1 Carrying a Handgun Without A License or By a Person Convicted of Domestic Battery; Exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun. (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if: (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is: (A) unloaded; (B) not readily accessible; and (C) secured in a case; (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is: (A) unloaded; (B) not readily accessible; and (C) secured in a case;

Georgia:
    § 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions
    (a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. (b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner. (c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

My thinking was that someone traveling the country in an OTR rig MAY be similar to someone traveling the country in a motor home. SOME states treat motor homes differently than others. Shocker.

Relax, dude. Relax.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The License Plate separates Commericial Vehicles from RV's. A Semi Tractor used to pull a Race Car Trailer can be plated as an RV (private Carrier) for example. A SemiTractor used in Commerce is always a Commercial Vehicle.

Top Bottom