• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    We had a 190lb English Mastiff tear his right rear one, he was only two yrs old at the time. There was no question we paid for the surgery. The recovery was rougher on us then on him, every time he went outside we had to put a towel under the surgery leg and help carry him out to do his business. All the time and effort was worth it, once healed he never had another issue with it!

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Pretty much everyone agrees... if you can afford it, do the surgery. I don't think you or your dog will regret it. My beagle had the surgery (cost $1,000 back then) and did great. We had to slow her down during recovery, but it went well. The cost almost hurt me, but loosing the dog (my best buddy) would have hurt more. She is gone now, but we had some good times!

rstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Fishers
    Have a lab that tore hers last February. She was just over 1 year old at the time...so still really playful and hard to keep calm...as we have two labs we got at the same time. She had the surgery and had to stay in a children's playpen to keep her calmed down around the other dog. We took her in once a week for hydro/physical therapy. Basically she walked on a treadmill that was submerged in a pool. Her recovery seemed very slow for the first 60-75 days, but by mid summer she was running full bore and jumping into the pool at the house and swimming. You cannot even tell she ever had an issue today. I would do the surgery again without any question.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have a different take. Surgery and recovery is not fun for the dog or the human.

My folks had an English Setter who tore her ACL. They did not do surgery and she healed on her own. Did she ever get back to 100%? No, but probably 90%, and she lived a very happy life and never had to deal with surgery.

I have a pit mix who tore her ACL. Exact same situation as above.

So I am 2 for 2 on NOT doing ACL surgery and having it work out fine.

Just my two cents.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My commitment to my pet overrides my common sense? Nah. My dog has more common sense than a lot of people.

My parents had an 8 year old rottweiler. Raised him since he was a pup. He was diagnosed with diabetes. And they gave him insulin and pain killers everyday for years. His last year, he went blind. And they still cared for him, he was a very happy dog, even while blind. But then his pain got worse, and they had to put him down. The point is, they spent all kinds of money for him. And they have no regrets.

Dogs are more than dogs. I'm sad that you don't know this.

^^^^This^^^^^ is my world

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Both of our dogs have had the surgery.
    Recovery takes a while. The bigger one (105lb Rottie) had a harder time of it.
    The little guy (65lb Rottie mix) was much easier.
    Our big girl was probably 90% after the surgery. She has some stiffness, and will favor the leg when she get's up or lays down.
    But.....she still runs around the yard after squirrels and such. Definitely not in pain.
    The little guy was 100% after. I think being smaller, and younger made it easier.
    Yes.....it wasn't cheap, but don't regret having it done.
    Dr. Steve at McAfee Animal Hospital in Valparaiso did both of 'em.
    Good people, no hesitation about recommending him.

Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    How do you keep a lab from NOT playing catch? We have 3 and they'll run till they drop. Even when we take away all the toys the youngest one still drags up sticks, pieces of paper and at times even weeds wanting us to throw for her. The only effective way we've found to slow her down is take her toy and put it between the front paws of the oldest as she's laying down. One look from the older one and she stops immediately!:laugh:

Honestly, this is one of our greatest questions. For our dog, a life without a frisbee would be torture! I think the recovery time will be very hard for her as she is a really active dog.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Do the surgery. And did you know that you can buy insurance for pets. That might be a option in the future for you and those reading

I actually wondered about pet insurance... I know it exists, but Im guessing this would be a pre existing condition. The cost isn't really the issue though. I am thankful for all of the replies here, especially from those who have had the operation performed on their dogs. Hearing how well the dogs did post op is encouraging. The only reason I would not do it is if I found that it was a very low success rate. I wouldn't put a dog through that if it was going to be miserable the rest of its life. So far, I am finding from responses here and from other sources that this is a fairly common operation and has a very good success rate.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    We have a Heinz57 mix that we rescued who tore his a few years back. He was roughly 7 years old and 80lbs at he time. We opted to wait for surgery at the advice of the vet (due to his age). He never had it repaired but is probably 90%. At 10 He still runs, plays, and torments the other 2 dogs just as before. His leg doesn't appear to cause pain or hinder him. However, at 2.5 we would have probably opted for surgery. He's slower sitting down and getting up, and changed his running form but shows no signs of pain in any form.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have a three legged mutt and he lost his leg 10 years ago. Started out as a severe break after a four wheeler accident and the vet installed a rod/plate in his leg. The skin healed but the muscle atrophied and he rejected the plate and they amputated a year later. He's 12 and doing as well as he can, the surgeries were worth every penny with all the time we've gotten to spend with him. He's not got much time left with us but thankful we've still got him.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    We went through that a few years ago. We did the surgery. We had it done at VCA Speciality Vets in Fishers. They did a great job and we were very satisfied with the results.

A tip though, it takes about 6 months to completely recover from the surgery. They will feel better long before then, but it's a slow healing process. Be careful with the recovery period. We were warned that our boy was now at high risk for tearing his other ACL due to the extra weight and strain on it during the recovery period. Sure enough, a month after he was back to 100%, he tore the other one!

Also make sure to follow up with physical therapy to help the healing process. Water therapy is a good way for the dog to build strength while taking some of the strain off their legs.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My dog is family and I'd do everything I could before putting my dog down.

Same.

GunnerBoomer2016_zpsm49dppwt.jpg

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    Definitely do the surgery. I would think at 2 1/2 the chances of a quick recovery is good. I would do anything for my dogs within reason. It's hard to put a price on the love they give you in return. Just remember that dog would give its life to protect you and your family.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We have an almost 15 year old border collie mix that has had both replaced. First one at 6 the second at 9. Granted, she's not as quick a rubber as she used to be but she's almost 16 years old. That translates to somewhere around 96 in Hunan years.

Dont pit put her down at under 3

Top Bottom