• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This is worse than dealing with raccoons and other critters. A human with dementia is a worthy opponent.

Two years ago, a baby monitor was all we needed to hear if they needed help. Those days are gone.

We are doing everything to keep her in her bed at night. She was getting out three or four times per night. She needs help to get out and go to the bathroom. If we don't help her, she falls. Everything is focused to keep her from getting hurt from a fall. It is annoying to have to go through the lifting routines for her, so none of us gets hurt righting the ship.... She is getting good at defeating some of last few upgrades. In the last week we had enough. We decided to up our game.

The bed had an alarm on it that tells us she is up and we have used that for about three months. The bathroom now has a motion sensor to tell us some one is moving in the bathroom. I now have an IR camera watching her bed with motion sensing feature that gets it first use tonight, the alarm goes off in the house and on mine and my wife's cell phone. The door to her bathroom now has a electronic chime that chirps when the door is opened.

The previous hospital bed had basic side rails to keep her in but she would scoot down and still get off the bed before the sensors would trip. She even figured out how to use her hand to keep the alarm from tripping too early. The service took the rental bed back and we purchased a Styker hospital bed. This one should do the job.

When we put her to bed tonight, she asked about the new bed and the other things I installed, She is going to do her best probing for weaknesses in the system. We can now talk back to her via the camera speaker if we see her moving around. I joked we needed a shock pad to finish out the system, but there is not one on the market (yet)

Tonight is the first time all the features are in place to keep her in bed.

I'll let you know if it worked....and if we slept through the night.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You have my sympathies. This is a tough row to hoe for sure. Good luck to you and kudos for caring for her at home.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You have my empathy.
    It's amazing what a determined person can do!
    I used an alarm that clipped to the back of his collar.

He couldn't stand or walk or even crawl. But that man could somehow leap over a bed rail and wind up on the floor.

It was like watching mission impossible.

At some point, soon, the sleep deprivation will get to you. Don't forget respite care for you and your wife. You'll need it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You have my empathy.

At some point, soon, the sleep deprivation will get to you. Don't forget respite care for you and your wife. You'll need it.

+1 to this! The sleep deprivation due to giving constant care affects you much more than you realize at the time. I was a walking zombie, but too tired to even know how bad I really was. I hope you have someone that will help the 2 of you get a break. Prayers.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is worse than dealing with raccoons and other critters. A human with dementia is a worthy opponent.

Two years ago, a baby monitor was all we needed to hear if they needed help. Those days are gone.

We are doing everything to keep her in her bed at night. She was getting out three or four times per night. She needs help to get out and go to the bathroom. If we don't help her, she falls. Everything is focused to keep her from getting hurt from a fall. It is annoying to have to go through the lifting routines for her, so none of us gets hurt righting the ship.... She is getting good at defeating some of last few upgrades. In the last week we had enough. We decided to up our game.

The bed had an alarm on it that tells us she is up and we have used that for about three months. The bathroom now has a motion sensor to tell us some one is moving in the bathroom. I now have an IR camera watching her bed with motion sensing feature that gets it first use tonight, the alarm goes off in the house and on mine and my wife's cell phone. The door to her bathroom now has a electronic chime that chirps when the door is opened.

The previous hospital bed had basic side rails to keep her in but she would scoot down and still get off the bed before the sensors would trip. She even figured out how to use her hand to keep the alarm from tripping too early. The service took the rental bed back and we purchased a Styker hospital bed. This one should do the job.

When we put her to bed tonight, she asked about the new bed and the other things I installed, She is going to do her best probing for weaknesses in the system. We can now talk back to her via the camera speaker if we see her moving around. I joked we needed a shock pad to finish out the system, but there is not one on the market (yet)

You sir have my respect. In this day and age, I have the utmost respect for those who choose to take care of family rather than ship them to a home. Hats off.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Zero wandering so good equipment and technology does work. She had no choice but to call us to get out. The Stryker bed was pricey, but it kept her safe.

I'm sure in her mind she is plotting another way to escape when she goes to bed tonight.

View attachment 50459

imagejpeg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You have my respect for being able to handle this important job long term.

We tried keeping my mom at home, but even with some hired help and all of the home health care assistance allowed by insurance, it was too much for us. We had to put her back in the nursing home, private pay. On the bright side, she is thriving there and looks healthier than she has in years.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Insomnia is common. Either do activities with her during the evening to wear her down or maybe take a look at her meds. Not to snow her but something simple as melatonin may help. If not maybe a small dose of Trazodone. You have some good fall prevention interventions in place. If your moving from preventing falls to preventing injury then maybe hipsters are in order. Along with padding corners of furniture. Be careful with full side rails as they can be an entrapment zone

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Insomnia is common. Either do activities with her during the evening to wear her down or maybe take a look at her meds. Not to snow her but something simple as melatonin may help. If not maybe a small dose of Trazodone. You have some good fall prevention interventions in place. If your moving from preventing falls to preventing injury then maybe hipsters are in order. Along with padding corners of furniture. Be careful with full side rails as they can be an entrapment zone
    What are guys in skinny jeans, horn rimmed glasses and neckbeards going to do? ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You have my respect for being able to handle this important job long term.

We tried keeping my mom at home, but even with some hired help and all of the home health care assistance allowed by insurance, it was too much for us. We had to put her back in the nursing home, private pay. On the bright side, she is thriving there and looks healthier than she has in years.

My father was happier in the nursing home for his last few months. He appreciated the clean, safe environment and professional care. His passing was peaceful and happy without the stress that was always present when we were attempting to care for him.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My father was happier in the nursing home for his last few months. He appreciated the clean, safe environment and professional care.

I don't want to hijack longbow's topic completely, but I believe you. My pride and what happened to my grandmother in the 70s and early 80s made me vow my parents would never be in a nursing home. After experiencing the reality, I had to swallow my pride and admit that she is better off there. In fact, my parents are now room mates in the nursing home.

Longbow and his family are exceptional!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I don't want to hijack longbow's topic completely, but I believe you. My pride and what happened to my grandmother in the 70s and early 80s made me vow my parents would never be in a nursing home. After experiencing the reality, I had to swallow my pride and admit that she is better off there. In fact, my parents are now room mates in the nursing home.

Longbow and his family are exceptional!

Thanks!

If the house wasn't built for handicapped people or had any steps we would have given up years ago. Wide doors, wheel chair roll in showers and oversized rooms to maneuver a wheel chair make life easy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks!

If the house wasn't built for handicapped people or had any steps we would have given up years ago. Wide doors, wheel chair roll in showers and oversized rooms to maneuver a wheel chair make life easy.

I did as much of that as I could in the condo I bought for my parents. What broke my team was the amount of attention my mom needs.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Watching a person you love losing their memory and turning in to someone else would be one of the hardest things a person can ever do. :patriot: You have my respect and sympathies.

Top Bottom