• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I ran out of Hoppe's No.9 SOlvent. And I'm broke and can't really afford any for a while, money is tight! So, is there a substitute that I can use instead that would be just as effective and not damage my barrel or parts?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Simple Green is actually a great idea. Cuts through the grime and leaves a clean surface for fresh oil. While it claims safe for plastics, I would probably keep it away from plastic just in case.

These sort of threads are nice because it is also SHTF info: What can I use in case of shortage of industry specific items! :)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Simple Green? Don't think I've heard of it. What is it? And that is a good point. I didn't think of this for SHTF.

Simple Green is usually found in the automotive aisle (at least at my Wal-Mart) and is a supposedly environmentally friendly all-purpose cleaner. I use it in the spray bottle on engines, spray it on (keeping away from electronics) and let it sit, hose off with low pressure water, and a cleaner engine emerges, easier to spot leaks in the future.

Can also be diluted.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    The best rust buster I have come up with (I'm sure it would work for bore cleaning) is a 50/50 mix of acetone and brake fluid.... DON"T USE IT NEAR PLASTIC.... I doubted this concoction but after using it I have become a believer...

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I ran out of Hoppe's No.9 SOlvent. And I'm broke and can't really afford any for a while, money is tight! So, is there a substitute that I can use instead that would be just as effective and not damage my barrel or parts?

So are you still shooting or just want to protect you firearms? Non-Detergent motor oil. Dollar store has them. If you are still shooting why don't you trade some of your ammo for a bottle of Hoppe's 9? NO. 9 is in my kit and all other "oils" are motor or ATF transmission as lube/cleaner.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    Small bottle of Hoppes is really cheap. Just wait. You do not need to apply it daily.

If you can't afford the Hoppes how can you afford ammo?

H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    WD-40 will void your warenty on a Glock! and dont use anything that does not say for firearms on it,just my :twocents: :D

Well, the only guns I have to clean are an AK-74 from Century arms so even if I have a warranty left on that they wouldn't honor it. I've heard stories that they are bad for that. Especially the key-holeing barrel incident. and the other is a Mosin Nagant. So, anything that goes wrong with any of these I will have to repair myself.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, the only guns I have to clean are an AK-74 from Century arms so even if I have a warranty left on that they wouldn't honor it. I've heard stories that they are bad for that. Especially the key-holeing barrel incident. and the other is a Mosin Nagant. So, anything that goes wrong with any of these I will have to repair myself.

The old translated Russian manuals for the Russian Army said that the AK is to be cleaned with "alkaline solution", then lubricated with "motor oil" :D

Then again, there is the old Afghan method: Diesel fuel to clean, then used or new motor oil (if you can find it) for lube and protection. Realistically, motor oil has little in regards to corrosion protection (at least in regards to firearms), but it's expediant lubrication and short term storage usage, its okay.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Brake cleaner will DESTROY any finish on wooden parts.

Don't ask how I know...:facepalm:

Though the refinish job on that gun came out awful purdy :wwub:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    WD-40 will void your warenty on a Glock! and dont use anything that does not say for firearms on it,just my :twocents: :D
    Why would it void the warranty? And as for not using stuff that isn't made for guns, why not at the end of the day all it is, is a metal machine, no different except for it is simpler in design than most machines, I would have no problem cleaning a gun with wd-40 and using a 10 w 30 to lube it up

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom