• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you can afford $2 for Simple Green or the other household chemicals mentioned, you can afford $3 for a jar of #9.

True, but what about stuff already around the house so that one doesn't have to spend even the $3! :D Besides, the SHTF element of this is absolutely awesome.

Next, I am going to try to use Barkeeper's Friend as lapping compound! :D Stay tuned :D:D:laugh:

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    Why would it void the warranty? And as for not using stuff that isn't made for guns, why not at the end of the day all it is, is a metal machine, no different except for it is simpler in design than most machines, I would have no problem cleaning a gun with wd-40 and using a 10 w 30 to lube it up

And probably save a little money that way too

H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    Brake cleaner will DESTROY any finish on wooden parts.

Don't ask how I know...:facepalm:

Though the refinish job on that gun came out awful purdy :wwub:

We've all done something like that at least once. I did it to my Mosin. What did I learn? DOn't listen to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain in Greenwood. He told me to use denatured alcohol on the woodstain so I could refinish it. Well, it took more than that off.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Well... aside from the destructiveness to wood finishes how did it clean the rest of it?
    Quite good actually, left it BONE dry though. There was a plastic piece that broke and gunked things up in the action (oil+plastic bits= PITA to remove).

My father-in-law (his gun actually) thought we could flush out the action with some brake cleaner (worked well) except that what ran down the butt stock stripped the varnish pretty much instantaneously. Turned it a sickly yellow/white color that you could flake off w/ your fingernail.

I sanded the original finish off and re-stained/finished it and it looks new now. (Not a collectible firearm, so no real harm done).

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    when i was a young little private in the infantry, my old school plt SFC taught me about the simple green but don't forget when your washing it off use hot hot hot water and it never effected the plastic on our m4's (rail covers and grip) i still use this today on most all my firearms except my long range set ups. just soak it down good with the simple green let it sit for a hour or so, take it to the sink or bath tub fill with hot hot water and scrub it down with a brush and then rinse with hot water. and then go to your garage and get some motor oil and lightly lube up. me i use rem oil but still the motor oil works fine.

also had some buddies who would use windex and shaving cream in the army. both seemed to work pretty well. they used the barbasol can shaving cream that foamed up

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    What's the shelf life of Hoppe's 9?

Infinite? 10 years? I found an old jar from the 90s and didn't know if it was still good.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I second the post above that stated if its not made for a gun then dont use it. With that said man if you dont have a few bucks for some bore cleaner $6 at most then PM me your address and I will give you some!

Top Bottom