Out of State Permit Licenses Valid in Minnesota - does one exist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So, here is the challenge:

Find a carry license or permit that meets the following criteria:

• Valid in Minnesota
    • Available to out of state applicants
    • From a state where the IN LTCH or UT, AZ, or FL is valid

Is it possible? Can it be done?

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I have Utah non res so I can carry when I am up visiting my property. But I think that this is not the answer you are looking for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have Utah non res so I can carry when I am up visiting my property. But I think that this is not the answer you are looking for.

Unfortunately the Utah permit was explicitly removed from the list of licenses recognized by Minnesota this year. I have a UT CFP and I was
    good to go until recently.

You better recheck that. I believe there was a recent INGO thread about MN dropping UT from their list.

Correct. You can find the info at the Minnesota Dept. of Public Safety web site.

Good catch! I missed that one. Well that sucks So I will have to see if MN offers an non resident permit

They do, but you have to take the training class in Minnesota and you have to apply for the permit in person in Minnesota, which sort of defeats the purpose of being able to carry with minimal concern of legal ramifications when you get to Minnesota.

Is Enhanced Idaho the answer you are seeking?

Ah-hah! One I had not yet researched! I shall look and I thank you, sir.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Ok I did some homework then spoke with Jon at Executive security he can teach the MN non resident class here. But then you have to appear to a Sheriff in MN and apply. It is worth it to me since I have land there. If anyone is interested, I am trying to get some classmates for a class. No earlier than November. Please note there is a shooting component to the class.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The better question is why you would want to go to Minnesota. Are you under duress?

I can't say!

Just move over to Illinois, our permit is now recognized by MN. Jim.

I'm hoping for a magical event that will cause your fine state to start issuing out of state licenses. Then we're in business.

Ok I did some homework then spoke with Jon at Executive security he can teach the MN non resident class here. But then you have to appear to a Sheriff in MN and apply. It is worth it to me since I have land there. If anyone is interested, I am trying to get some classmates for a class. No earlier than November. Please note there is a shooting component to the class.

I'll do it if the schedules mesh.

Do you know how long it takes to process and receive the permit after application? It would be good to only have to deal with one trip there without proper papers!

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    According to what I read on the MN website. By law a Sheriff only has 30 days to grant or deny your application. Like UT. It did not however say if there was a time for processing after that 30 days.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    You better recheck that. I believe there was a recent INGO thread about MN dropping UT from their list.

Yes , that really does suck. The main reason I got the Utah permit was because my father lived in Minnesota and it would allow me to carry when I visited him. I guess it doesn't really matter at this point however. He moved to Illinois..............

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    According to what I read on the MN website. By law a Sheriff only has 30 days to grant or deny your application. Like UT. It did not however say if there was a time for processing after that 30 days.

Also. You have a year to appear in person after taking the class. Before your class time becomes void.

I wonder if the requirement to appear in person is in the statute, or if it's just the policy of all of the sheriffs?

If the latter, perhaps one could be persuaded to allow a group of us to apply remotely after completing the course.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I wonder if the requirement to appear in person is in the statute, or if it's just the policy of all of the sheriffs?

If the latter, perhaps one could be persuaded to allow a group of us to apply remotely after completing the course.
    Or just turn it into an INGO road trip. Shenanigans would ensue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Top Bottom