• ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Two part question:

1. Is there a store local to Indy where I can buy O2 absorbers? I have found countless sources online, but would prefer to cash and carry.

2. If I vacuum seal in 1 gallon bags, then place in food grade buckets with rubber seal lid, would I even need O2 absorbers? (i plan to freeze my dry goods prior to packaging)

I am new to LTFS but have spent hours upon hours reading various opinions and facts. Any input on the two subjects above is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Bob :n00b:

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    1.) While I fully appreciate local cash and carry, I've never seen any places locally that sell O2 absorbers. You cant go wrong with ordering from the LDS website. They were by FAR the cheapest, and free shipping to boot. Just make sure you store them properly after opening. I stupidly used the Glad vacuum ziplock thingy, and it leaked and I lost the remaining 80 O2 packets out of my order of 100. Doh!

2.) Since I've figured out how to vacuum seal mylar bags with my Foodsaver, I've been skipping the O2 absorbers. I will likely place an order from LDS for some more in the near future, and they will go in the 1 gallon bags just as an extra precaution. But no, I wouldnt throw any in the bucket... I use my buckets for stackability, extra rodent/pest protection.
    All the air/O2 protection is done by the 1 gallon mylar.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Thank you, Scarnucci. Your input is greatly appreciated.

I think I'll try a little of both: vacuum seal a bucket and O2 absorb a bucket. Of course it will be years before I could tell the difference. ;) I have one of the cheap Reynolds Handi Vac or what ever it's called. It seems to work well for the things I freeze, so surely it can't hurt. (I have read that you should put a piece of tape over the hole.)

The way things are looking, I may need it sooner rather than later... or maybe my tin foil is wrapped a litte too tight!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom