• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So another trip to Atterbury today. We figured it would be deserted but two other guys were on pistol side and two rifle shooters. This was the first trip with the Walther P22. I think it needs lubricated because I had to frequently push the slide a tad to get it to start moving forward. I was using ~1260fps rounds. The slower ~1050 (can't remember exactly but they were CCI) were very slow at moving the slide and had to be assisted between each shot. I have read that you need high velocity rounds but a nurse gave me these and said they cycled his P22 just fine. I'm hoping a good cleaning and lube will fix that.

Mag question: why does it look like the mag should hold about 12 more rounds than it does? Is this some compliance thing or just engineering needs?

After shooting it a while, the 9mm rounds looked huge. I thought I was putting 45ACP in the mag. Heh. I guess it's all perspective.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Sounds like it needs a good cleaning to me. I've had three of them and never had any issues like that. Only issue I've ever had from a p22 was light primer strikes. But that is typical rimfire stuff. Mine have all like federal bulk the best. And obviously they all like the hotter rounds like mini mags, and stingers and such.

And as for the mags, yea I agree. They look like they should hold more. And I wish I could find higher cap. Mags to fit. 10 rounds just never last long enough.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seems like I read somewhere you could modify the P22 magazine follower to increase the rounds they would hold. Downside was you loose the LRHO function.

PLEASE correct me if I was on drugs or something that night.:D

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that I've read about that, too...

Anyhow, if your P22 is brand-spanking-new: Yes, it's desperately in need of a GOOD cleaning. And then expect about 200 more rounds of the highest velocity ammo you can run through it.

If the slide continues to hang up, pay attention to see if you can determine where/what the cause is. It MIGHT be that the cartridge is hanging on the top of the feed ramp.

-J-

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that I've read about that, too...

Anyhow, if your P22 is brand-spanking-new: Yes, it's desperately in need of a GOOD cleaning. And then expect about 200 more rounds of the highest velocity ammo you can run through it.

If the slide continues to hang up, pay attention to see if you can determine where/what the cause is. It MIGHT be that the cartridge is hanging on the top of the feed ramp.

-J-

Thanks, good to know I WASN'T stoned that evening.:D

Absolutely correct on the cleaning BEFORE you take it out the first time. My P22 and PK380 both were filthy with a brownish greasy crud out of the box. I cleaned both of them as soon as I got them home. I have had no problems out of either other than a couple of failure to fire in the P22 because of a few bad .22 rounds. The PK380 has never given me a problem. Both will run anything I feed them.

BTW, there is a 45 round magazine for the P22. You have to replace the recoil spring with a stiffer one for it to function. No personal experience just what the website stated.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like to shoot cheap stuff through mine, but during the early days had noticed the slow cycling. It gets better with wear and break-in.

Of the cheap ammo, I have found that mine shoots the Remington from Walmart the best as it won't shoot too well still the Federal Bulk Packs. The Subsonic ammo works great as well, luckily.

WaltherP22withGemtech.jpg

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It was bought used but very few rounds through it. I'll clean today and see how it goes. Came with the thread adapter so some day I'll get the suppressor.

Whole p22 case and all fit in my ammo can I bring to the range. How cute ;)

Top Bottom