• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    When the end of the world hits, you're going to die because you won't be able to find any ammo!

Great review though!
    So I qualified with it today. I'm not retiring my P220...but the P229 is going to start seeing time on duty.
    Are you allowed to select your own duty guns?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Gotcha. Well that's even pretty generous, I suppose. I know some departments that get weird about what you can carry and what you can't.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Since I read your review I've become a bit obsessed with finding one of these. Legacy slide, short extractor, nickel accents - its a thing of beauty. And i have nothing in 357 sig since selling my M&P 357. I usually have to like the way a gun looks to be really interested, and this one has curb appeal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Since I read your review I've become a bit obsessed with finding one of these. Legacy slide, short extractor, nickel accents - its a thing of beauty. And i have nothing in 357 sig since selling my M&P 357. I usually have to like the way a gun looks to be really interested, and this one has curb appeal.

Turns out this one started its service life in Ohio with Niles PD.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Familiar with the town. Perhaps its rougher than I think. Seems like kind of a strong caiber for a small local PD. The conventional wisdom on 357sig is enhanced barrier penetration but it is also very flat shooting. Didnt really have a gun in the stable chambering it long enough to investigate self defence loads so don't know much about their potential. Will certainly do that research if I get one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Which 229 will get the nod for duty time - plain vanilla or SAS?

The dual tone, but due to caliber. Our range stocks .40 and provides .40 carry ammo. If the SAS was the .40 it'd go the other way. (I am carrying this one with the .40 barrel.)

I think you have to be careful with .357 sig SD loads. Looks like some places are using their 9mm bullet and slowing it down. Basically a 9mm+p with one less capacity at that point.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    A few have mentioned that they have never fired the .357 Sig. The recoil is a bit more than a 9mm+P in the 229 iteration. Basically, the round is a .40 necked down to 9mm. Sig's answer to offer .357 Magnum ballistics in an auto pistol. IMHO, the .357 Sig is a sop. Ammo somewhat hard to find, somewhat expensive. A lot of police departments bought into the .357 Sig round, however, with the 9mm, .40, and .45, the Sig round is probably placing a distant fourth. It is neither fish nor fowl.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A few have mentioned that they have never fired the .357 Sig. The recoil is a bit more than a 9mm+P in the 229 iteration. Basically, the round is a .40 necked down to 9mm. Sig's answer to offer .357 Magnum ballistics in an auto pistol. IMHO, the .357 Sig is a sop. Ammo somewhat hard to find, somewhat expensive. A lot of police departments bought into the .357 Sig round, however, with the 9mm, .40, and .45, the Sig round is probably placing a distant fourth. It is neither fish nor fowl.

I think the biggest downfall to the .357 Sig is it was late to the party. .40 S&W had already caught fire, the .357 isn't "more better" enough to warrant swapping everything over, and inertia favored the .40. Supposedly it penetrates doors better, but with bonded ammunition that's less of a concern, and like the 10mm so much of it is loaded down today as to eliminate even that advantage.

My main issue with it is I'm afraid to reload it. There's too many stories of early reloaders not getting the crimp right, getting setback, and ka-booming their pistols and hands. Pass. .40 is easy to reload.

Top Bottom