• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I've shot/owned a couple of P238s over the last couple of years, ended up giving one to my Mom for her .38 snub she couldn't pull the DA trigger on (arthritis) and traded the other for a 9c the gf wanted. She liked the P238 but it was a little small. She's got a Kimber 1911 in 9mm now and wants a pocket 9mm and has her eye on a P938 Extreme... Has anyone shot both? I know they are close to identical size wise, but I'm interested in how the recoil was between the two. I don't want anything too snappy for her.

Thanks.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have a p938 and I love it. It's a great shooter. Have not tried the p238.

My Gf prefers it over the lc9, shield 9 & 40, pf9 and XDS 45 & 9. Now that she picked one out she likes ill try to get her to get her permit.

I'll probably have to buy another p938 now but that's ok.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I have owned and shot both. Ended up selling the 238 in favor of the 938. The 938 is a very accurate weapon for it's size without being too snappy. I understand the earlier ones had some reliability issues, but mine has run flawlessly. Highly recommend.

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    I also have both the 938 with the extended magazine is very comfortable and is my daily CC. The 238 is noticeably smaller and is great for pocket carry the 938 has slightly more recoil but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you prefer a 9mm both pistols are top notch performers.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I owned a P938 nightmare (early model) and when it worked, it was a VERY nice gun. I was able to get 6 inch groupings at 25 yards which impressed me for as small as it was. That being said, I had issue with FTE and FTF...hopefully the newer models have that sorted out. With that said, recoil isn't terrible but snappy until you get used to it. Very light trigger pull and very accurate. Practice, practice, practice and it will be a good edc.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    null_zps1f9b2c9b.jpg

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have a P938. I don't find it too snappy. I like it, but I do miss my P238 I traded for it, when it comes to ankle carry. It's just enough heavier to make a difference. Other than that, the P938 wins, hands down.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Thanks Cindy. It'll most likely ride in her purse. I think she's realizing the Kimber Pro is a little more cumbersome than she thought it would be.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    We have both the P238 and 938. The wife carries the P238 much of the time and I carry the P938. To me the P238 has slightly lighter recoil as would be expected for a .380 round. None of the 5 types of ammo we have fired through both guns was overly objectionable to us. However, I generally keep Hornady Critical Defense loads in both guns as it is a relatively light recoiling load with less muzzle flash than other similar ammo we shot. My wife is 65 and I am 66. We both are of smaller stature and have smallish hands. Both weapons were acquired in the last 6 months and we have experienced no failures with either gun. We practice with the non-extended magazines as that is how we carry the weapons. The 9mm has a third more kinetic energy that the .380 and that of course translates into slightly noticeable more recoil when shooting the P938. You should have her shoot both before you decide. My wife clearly prefers the P238 and she can shoot it more accurately than the 9mm because of the slightly decreased recoil.

Additional thought: The Hogue rubber grips really do help me hold onto the weapons better. The grips are also cushioned and that further helps with the recoil. I only have the Hogue grips for the P938. I switched out to a set of Poly grips because I carry the P938 in my front pocket at times and the rubber grips makes drawing the weapon from the from pocket some more difficult.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I love my P238. I opted for the Kahr CM9 instead of the P938 and am very happy with the CM9. But I don't know how long I can hold out...I still really want the P938. The good thing is, if you keep your eye on gunbroker, the prices are coming down. I just hopped off there site. They have P938s as low as $550. Bad news is 9mm rounds are still very, very scarce. I'm down to my last 6-700 rounds. Gettin' a little nervous.

GoldenBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I got the P238 and liked it a lot. I accepted the 380 ACP as a necessary evil to get the reduced size; the size (width and weight) is very friendly to carry, with large enough controls for ease of operation. I put a ambidextrous safety on the P238 and was happy with my choices.

Two years later, Sig releases a ambi-safety P238, but in 9mm Para caliber (aka P938). I picked one up as soon as finances allowed. Recoil increase is negligible with FMJ (practice) ammo. JHP or +P loads will be snappier, but not something you'll be firing a lot of.

As always, the best is to borrow or rent one, and see for yourself (or herself).

Top Bottom