Pacers Might Leave Town If They Don't Get Public Assistance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    :xmad::xmad: NO-NO, THE CIB (YOU AND ME) WILL FUND THE PACERS NO MATTER WHAT. THEY WILL CLOSE SCHOOLS AND FIRE THE POLICE. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK. THEY WILL STAY AT ALL COSTS. ANOTHER REASON FOR ME TO HATE PRO-SPORTS .:xmad::xmad: JERRY

Josed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good reddens to bad rubbish. I'm for one will not miss the Pacers. I wish them good luck finding a city that will put up with their crap.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    ADIOS MUCHACHOS!!!

I would donate some moving boxes if they'd go.

And take the "other" bull dogs (the FEVER!) with you!

Last edited:

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Are the Injins not a big deal down there anymore? I know they are AAA, and did you tax payers pay for that new field they got awhile back.
    were they ever a big deal? No they aren't. But that same stadium could be upgraded for big leagues, and bringing in many "real pro teams" like playing the yankees, cincy, etc.. would bring in actual money. but it won't happen. If they don't have enough "front money" you don't get a team. The area of Norfolk, Portsmouth, VA Beach, etc.. (the seven cities) have a huge market, where even the AAA team makes very very good money, but because they couldn't come up with the front money, they got passed over.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I say let the Pacers and Colts go and use that money to employ some of the GOOD teachers many of the districts let go in order to save money!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Isn't the cib president on simons payroll?

Good question, from Advance Indiana:

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Star: Grand Appointment Invites Conflicts

Star editorial writers weigh in against Mayor Greg Ballard's decision to appoint Simon lobbyist Robert Grand to the Capital Improvement Board, arguing the Board needs an "independent leader." Grand's firm represents the Indiana Pacers, while Grand represents Simon Property Group. The relationship with the Simons is "too close for comfort in what is supposed to be a climate of reform," the editorial opines. As the Star described the relationship:

Grand is managing partner of one of the city's pre-eminent law firms, Barnes & Thornburg, which has represented the Indiana Pacers and the Simons, who own the team. The Pacers are the prime tenant and most favored user of Conseco Fieldhouse, which the CIB manages on behalf of the taxpayers.

During last year's campaign, the editorial reminds us that Ballard offered an ethics reform package which included barring lobbyists and others with a financial interest from serving on boards and commissions. "Ballard has gone so far as to offer a six-point proposal for conflict avoidance, including a measure to 'prohibit registered lobbyists or persons with a financial interest from serving on any board or commission that directly affects or deals with their lobbying or financial interests,'' the editorial reads. So what gives? "The mayor insists that Grand, who has not lobbied personally for the Pacers but has worked directly for Simon Property Group, has more than covered matters via a letter pledging to keep himself and Barnes & Thornburg out of CIB business involving their clients," the editorial answers. I might add that the letter agreement was signed off on by the City's Corporation Counsel Chris Cotterill, who just happens to be a former employee of Grand's at Barnes & Thornburg.

As an attorney, reading that letter agreement strikes me as a slap in the face at the whole reason behind having conflict of interest rules for the legal profession in the first place. As the Star editorial points out, in the event Grand actually abided by the terms of the letter agreement to create an "ethics screen", he would not be able to provide the leadership the Board needs from him. "However, that can be a cumbersome task, considering how prominent the Pacers are in CIB deliberations," the editorial says of the letter agreement. "And as a former state ethics commission chairman pointed out in Brendan O'Shaughnessy's article in The Star on Saturday, the self-screening would reduce Grand to a partially functioning board member." "If, for example, the Pacers do seek to renegotiate their lease, as speculation has it, then Grand would be a quarterback sitting out the big game."

Laying aside the concerns about Grand's functionality, ultimately the public perception should weigh heavily against Grand's appointment to this important post according to the editorial. "Last but far from least, there is the question of perception. Grand's connection with the Pacers and the Simons would always color news about the CIB were he to be in charge, and appearance of conflict of interest is enough to undermine public confidence in the board's highly sensitive work as manager of Conseco, the Indiana Convention Center, and the pro football and baseball stadiums." The editorial concludes, "The mayor should find another mission for the well-credentialed Robert Grand and keep looking for a CIB chief." "If that's not the letter of Nov. 7, it's certainly the spirit."

This decision has left even Ballard's most ardent supporters scratching their heads. Why would a new mayor go to such great lengths to burn up good will with the public, which expected he would lead an ethical administration? By all appearances, Ballard was elected with no strings attached, but the appearance he has given from appointments like Grand's is that he's loaded down with all sorts of baggage. He should have surrounded himself with at least one person who was sensitive to these sorts of issues. His chief of staff, Paul Okeson, most recently worked as a branch manager for an engineering firm with city contracts. Okeson's firm donated $10,000 to Ballard after the election. It gave $10,000 to former Mayor Bart Peterson's campaign before the election. This past weekend, Ballard and Okeson traveled to the Super Bowl in Phoenix, along with other members of a local team working on yet another bid to win a Super Bowl event for Indianapolis according to the Star's business reporter John Ketzenberger. Ballard has clearly forgotten the ethics pledges he made as a candidate and tossed aside other more important priorities to curry favor with the City's ruling elites. If Indianapolis is lucky enough to win that 2012 Super Bowl bid, Mayor Ballard is unlikely to be around for the party at the rate he's going. Voters may just give him the boot in four years just like they did Peterson this past November.

Bob Grand lets Ballard play with the city government when he's not using it, which isn't very often.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    :xmad::xmad: NO-NO, THE CIB (YOU AND ME) WILL FUND THE PACERS NO MATTER WHAT. THEY WILL CLOSE SCHOOLS AND FIRE THE POLICE. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK. THEY WILL STAY AT ALL COSTS. ANOTHER REASON FOR ME TO HATE PRO-SPORTS .:xmad::xmad: JERRY

yep pro sports are a BIG JOKE!!! i hate professional sports. watching STUPID THUGS (all races) throw a ball around and then they cant even talk in an interview. kick em all out. WE SERIOUSLY PAY THESE DUMB MOTHER F'ers TO THROW LEATHER AROUND but we pay our police, fireman, and ESPECIALY OUR SOLDIERS so little???? WTF??? this is FRAUD!!!! not good government. bunch of crooks helping crooks is all it is.

heck, id rather pay the garbage man more money than give it to the sports players and crook politicians!!! without the garbage men we wouldnt even be able to walk down the street. plus if we paid them more maybe they'd haul off all the trash at city hall and the statehouse and in washington too!!!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    yep pro sports are a BIG JOKE!!! i hate professional sports. watching STUPID THUGS (all races) throw a ball around and then they cant even talk in an interview. kick em all out. WE SERIOUSLY PAY THESE DUMB MOTHER F'ers TO THROW LEATHER AROUND but we pay our police, fireman, and ESPECIALY OUR SOLDIERS so little???? WTF??? this is FRAUD!!!! not good government. bunch of crooks helping crooks is all it is.

heck, id rather pay the garbage man more money than give it to the sports players and crook politicians!!! without the garbage men we wouldnt even be able to walk down the street. plus if we paid them more maybe they'd haul off all the trash at city hall and the statehouse and in washington too!!!

Stop holding back. Tell us how you really feel about professional athletes.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I love racing!
    Never gave a tinkers damn about stick & ball sports, nothing wrong with them, I just never cared for 'em.

So OBVIOUSLY I say, the Pacers, the Colts, the Indians, the Ersay's and the Simons can all catch the next outbound express outta town, and take the IDIOT politicians that started this MILLIONAIRE WELFARE program with them!

AND, as much as I love racing,
    THERE SHOULD NEVER BE A TAXPAYER DIME SPENT ON RACING ON ANY LEVEL BY GOVERNMENT, FOR ANY REASON!

Sink or swim A$$HOLEs, thats what we have to do!

Top Bottom