• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This has probably been addressed many times over, but I'll ask, anyway.

I have two stainless revolvers and have trouble picking up the sights on both. What would be a good color (colors) to paint them?

eeadams

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Fishers
    I have a Springfield 1911 and was having the same trouble. picked up some BRIGHT orange model paint at the hobby store and have loved it. I painted the whole front post and left the back alone. It shines in any light and makes it easy to pick up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There was a thread about this a couple of months ago. Thanks for bringing it up again, because you reminded me to go buy some paint to try this myself.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I use yellow finger nail polish. It matches my purse and shoes best.....Seriously though, I find it to give the best contrast for most targets that I shoot. Cheap to buy, a bottle lasts forever, easy to reapply if need be or remove if needed.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Stop in a Sally's beauty supply shop. They have all the really bright nail polishes. Orang, pink, green, whatever. If you have a set of multiple colors of hi-liter markers, hold each one up, and see which your eye picks up best. Do it in different lighting conditions, to get a better idea.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I use Glow-on on all my non-Tritium sights. It works okay in the dark, but it will whiten any fading sight too. It's like killing 1.5 birds with one stone, because its not as good as Tritium.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    After reading the earlier post about painting sights I dug one of these out of the drawer.
    I had yellow and it does make the front sight easier to see. Carries safely in the range bag as well.

Markal Valve Action Paint Marker

valve_action_pnt_mkr.jpg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Years ago, I had a departemental gunsmith place a plastic red ramp front sight on my modle 19. It was cheap and quick.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Bright orange paint on the front sight, and black on the back work really well in combination on stainless--the black actually speeds up target acquisition almost as much as the orange does for me.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I had a bottle of fluorescent orange model paint I had used to restore an old speedometer needle. A coat of white and the orange on top made a huge difference.

IMG_0922.jpg

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    use white out as a basecoat, then fingernail polish or something cheap.

I actually did white out, orange safety paint, then topped it off with a clear coat that had sparkles in it...compliments of my 5 year old girl. After she pistol whipped me with my own gun, I looked at my paintjob closely and decided that it was simply FABULOUS!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Bright orange paint on the front sight, and black on the back work really well in combination on stainless--the black actually speeds up target acquisition almost as much as the orange does for me.

I'm kind of thinking that I might try Testor's fluorescent green on the front ramp and flat black on the rear sight. I always shoot at those self-adhesive orange targets, and figure the green might make a better contrast.

Thanks to all for the advice, and I'll steer clear of 5-year-old girls who might try to pistol-whip me! :D

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    +1 to the Nail polish approach. I've talked to many that have used it. All agree it lasts longer than other paints. I use a bright orange or bright pink. Very bright.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm kind of thinking that I might try Testor's fluorescent green on the front ramp and flat black on the rear sight. I always shoot at those self-adhesive orange targets, and figure the green might make a better contrast.

Thanks to all for the advice, and I'll steer clear of 5-year-old girls who might try to pistol-whip me! :D

I use testor's orange enamel paint and a cut tooth pick, less than $2 at hobby lobby.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I always use nail polish because it is pretty durable and easy to take off when needed. I always like a little wider rear sight and I like contrast to be able to pick up the sights better. You can always spend some money and get some pretty nice sights or experiment with the sights that you have. I have done many sights and liked how they turned out. The keltec in the last pictures I actually built a little sight out of plastic becuase it needed a higher sight anyway. Jim
    HRR2-1.jpg

3913-3.jpg

2245sights.jpg

BW-stip01.jpg

lite-sight.jpg

p32-4.jpg

p32-6.jpg

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    What's worked best for me over the years on my Kel-Tec .380 is plain old white out. IMO it lasts longer, and is a brighter application than any thing else I've tried!

Top Bottom