Panera Bread asks customers to not bring guns into stores.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Haha, I just got that form letter, too. I know these types of policies touted by MDA as victories are really just to get them to lay off and go away. I know I could still carry in there (if I had reason to go in there in the first place). Sorry Panera Bread, I'd rather not anyway.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While the request is new, Panera plans to continue to follow state and local laws regarding firearm policy. The chain also won't ask employees to enforce the new request or place signs about it in its restaurants.

So, nothing has changed. Glad we got all worked up about that and let them know we'll boycott them for offering a milquetoast compromise that favors gun owners over the whiners.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    So, nothing has changed. Glad we got all worked up about that and let them know we'll boycott them for offering a milquetoast compromise that favors gun owners over the whiners.

If you say so.

As far as every anti-gun group out there is concerned Panera might as well have come out and said that even if they think you have a gun they will have you arrested. That is the way Everytown is portraying it. It was the same with Starbucks. The more businesses they can get to make statements the more they are able to sway public opinion. Those that want to take away liberty watch and wait for public opinion to be on their side so that they can hopefully get unconstitutional laws passed. That's what happened here in Colorado. Three senators have lost their jobs because of it. They thought they had the public support to get away with it though. Since only three Senators lost their jobs I think they are right. I doubt these laws will get repealed.

I guess my point is that every battle, no matter how small it may seem, does in some way, make a difference.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you say so.

As far as every anti-gun group out there is concerned Panera might as well have come out and said that even if they think you have a gun they will have you arrested. That is the way Everytown is portraying it. It was the same with Starbucks. The more businesses they can get to make statements the more they are able to sway public opinion. Those that want to take away liberty watch and wait for public opinion to be on their side so that they can hopefully get unconstitutional laws passed. That's what happened here in Colorado. Three senators have lost their jobs because of it. They thought they had the public support to get away with it though. Since only three Senators lost their jobs I think they are right. I doubt these laws will get repealed.

I guess my point is that every battle, no matter how small it may seem, does in some way, make a difference.
    So basically they have to tout the most minor of "victories" to seem relevant? Sounds like we're winning to me.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I wonder what Panera would say if a criminal walks into the restaurant and holds the staff at gunpoint to get all the cash. Little kids are in the restaurant and are at risk while the criminal threatens everyone. Maybe a law abiding concealed carry holder is in the restaurant and can prevent anyone except the criminal from getting hurt.

I think some people, who have never grown up around guns or been through a training course/courses, believe that law abiding concealed carry individuals will come into a restaurant flaunting their gun in front of everyone. Conceal carry means exactly that...concealed. Law abiding citizens do not want conflict. They never want to have to use their gun on another human. I don't blame Panera, I blame the media in general. So many are uneducated about guns and only listen to what the media has to say without thinking or finding their own information.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I wonder what Panera would say if a criminal walks into the restaurant and holds the staff at gunpoint to get all the cash. Little kids are in the restaurant and are at risk while the criminal threatens everyone. Maybe a law abiding concealed carry holder is in the restaurant and can prevent anyone except the criminal from getting hurt.

I think some people, who have never grown up around guns or been through a training course/courses, believe that law abiding concealed carry individuals will come into a restaurant flaunting their gun in front of everyone. Conceal carry means exactly that...concealed. Law abiding citizens do not want conflict. They never want to have to use their gun on another human. I don't blame Panera, I blame the media in general. So many are uneducated about guns and only listen to what the media has to say without thinking or finding their own information.

What is a "Concealed Carry Holder " ?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Overpriced but I due occasionally stop in- when my 17 year old son is NOT with me. I keep a button down shirt in my car for just such occasion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think some people, who have never grown up around guns or been through a training course/courses, believe that law abiding concealed carry individuals will come into a restaurant flaunting their gun in front of everyone.

INGO has a contingent that believes if they can't flaunt, they aren't free. If a store doesn't want you to carry a long gun as you grocery shop, they are anti-freedom. We run the gamut from concealed to OC for handguns to OC for long guns, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to take great offense at what you said. Stick around anyway, its a pretty decent forum.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    INGO has a contingent that believes if they can't flaunt, they aren't free. If a store doesn't want you to carry a long gun as you grocery shop, they are anti-freedom. We run the gamut from concealed to OC for handguns to OC for long guns, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to take great offense at what you said. Stick around anyway, its a pretty decent forum.

Agreed. INGO has a contingent who are perpetually offended. This is another case of getting wrapped around the axle over nothing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So OC is flaunting?

And technically speaking, if the state can impose restrictions on things that have no bearing on the rights of another, we are, by definition, less free.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Not really, everyone who gets a bad impression of a company is a potential lost sale.

Counter that with everyone who gets a good impression of the company, I doubt someone that states "never been there, but since they "banned guns" I won't even try them now is really a loss of a future customer. I ate lunch many times at Panera's and most of the customer were "Soccer mom" or "officer workers" types, so the company is betting over net gain/positive impression.

Has Starbucks' sales dropped since the open letter from the CEO asking people not to bring guns into the store? I don't know, weak is this one's Google-Fu.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    So OC is flaunting?

Given some comments on INGO over the years by some OCers, flaunting is part of a reason why they OC. When someone claims they were wanting some police interaction because of their OCing, then I have to assume they were flaunting the gun to bring about what they wanted. When some OCers say they OC in part because it can bring up conversation about guns, well one way in which to bring about conversation about a subject is to flaunt something related to the subject in an effort to get others to be engaged. When some say they OC so that others are more comfortable around guns, then to me by definition one would have to be flaunting the gun to achieve that desired effect.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    So OC is flaunting?

And technically speaking, if the state can impose restrictions on things that have no bearing on the rights of another, we are, by definition, less free.

^^^^^ This. OCing does not infringe upon the rights of others. It only hurts their eyeballs if you OC a Glock! :):

I carried concealed in Panera the other night. Either way that you choose to carry, just remember that these 'requests' are nothing more than the company trying to shut up MDA. MDA takes a social/political fight to the doorsteps of these companies that didn't choose to be in the middle of it. These non-statements are nothing more than the leadership of said companies trying to get out of the spotlight as quickly as possible with minimal damage to the bottom line. If you want to live your life boycotting every company that does this then I hope you have the capacity to manufacture all sorts of goods in your own home.

Top Bottom