• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I am considering getting a Paragon wall safe to put in my closet to hold my EDC (when I get one) and some other valuables. Looking at their product page, they have 3 different models. I've looked at the descriptions and feature list of all three, but I can't figure out what the differences are other than cosmetic (color or style of keypad and front panel). Is anyone familiar with these and know the differences?

On Amazon, they have the 7700 listed for $93, the 7725 is $68 and the 7750 is $82. I like the prices of these, but I just can't tell if there any real differences.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I emailed the vendor and got the response below. For those interested, the three models really are identical except for the color and the front panel.

Hello - Thank you for your inquiry. These safes are extremely similar, aside for the "look" of them. If you go to www.discounttommy.com and type in each safe you will bring up a list of each ones features. Thank you and have a nice day.

Warm Regards,

Kristina
    DTX International
    Customer Service

Anyone here own any of these safes? Thoughts and opinions?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you considered one of these instead? Not as secure, but they cant steal what they cant find...

https://tacticalwalls.com/

Personally, I just use a Gunvault that is bolted down. But anything is better than a nightstand drawer.

Oh, and in before the "they'll just cut through it" crowd shows up. :rolleyes:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One other thought I just had. If you dont have a walk-in closet and are planning on using a wall that is adjacent to another room's closet test the depth of the wall before you cut into it. I found out the hard way when adding a mounted flat panel in our master bedroom that the contractor used 1x2's for the back walls of the closets for maximum depth without cutting into the rooms' size.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I like the idea but for a EDC wouldn't you want something at your bed side? Also sense this is for your EDC can it fit your holsterd sidearm?

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    For what it's worth, I'll give you all a little background information on my situation and my reasonings here.

I currently don't own a firearm. I convinced my reluctant wife about 6 months ago to let me get my LTCH and look into purchasing a handgun. With a soon-to-be 3 year old daughter and another one due next month, safety is priority number one. Keeping any firearms out of my unsupervised/sneaky kids' hands as they get older is my first step in helping my wife feel more secure about me purchasing, keeping and carrying a handgun.

In our master bedroom, we have 2 walk-in closets. My wife's is larger and inside the master bathroom. Mine is smaller and the door to it is next to the bedroom door. I am planning to install a wall safe inside my closet on the wall that would be covered by the closet door if it were open. I have a monitored alarm system for our home and 2 dogs, one of which is a 90lb German Shepherd that will be getting personal protection training soon. While I'm not going to advertise that I have firearms in my home, I'm fairly confident that the likelihood of someone getting into my home uninvited and accessing my safe is pretty small even though it is not going to be deeply camouflaged or concealed.

After safety and security, cost is probably the next highest consideration for me at this point. My wife is a stay-at-home mom and money is usually pretty tight. I'm much more likely to get her buy-in on a $70 wall safe than I am on a $400+ floor safe or something bigger/fancier. I plan to just keep my handgun (looking mostly at a Glock 19 Gen 4 right now), a few boxes of ammo and maybe a few other small items in this safe and a wall safe should be sufficient. Not only are these Paragon safes inexpensive, but they it can be installed in a convenient space without taking up floor space.

Later on, I will probably upgrade to something bigger. After a handgun, I'll look at a tactical shotgun for home defense. With luck and patience, I'll convince my wife to get her own handgun as well. Perhaps all of that will lead to riles and other guns for the kids when they get older and a larger safe would be required. Until then, though, I need to work small and inexpensive. I'm just getting started, but I have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'd say any safe is better than no safe. It will show the wife you are serious, and that you want to make her comfortable at the same time.
    With that said, there is no safer place for your EDC than your person. If I only had 1 EDC, I'd make sure it goes from my person at the end of the day, to a lockbox in the nightstand. In case of a bump in the night, I want it as close as possible.
    The few extra feet and seconds you need to get in the closet, in the dark, quietly, just might make a difference in the outcome of the situation.
    I know the lockbox itself can be taken, where the wall safe is less likely to be stolen, but there are pros and cons to about every safe type out there given a persons situation.
    JMO.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I have the 7750. It seems sturdy and works for my intended purpose. I don't keep any handguns in it, but there is room for that.
    That's good to know. I've read that the middle shelf is essentially wasted space since the locking mechanism cuts into it by 1.75" of the 3.75" of the interior space. The remaining 2" of depth is better than nothing, but it sure does limit your options.

I've also read that the beeping of the buttons being pressed is quite loud. Do you find that to be the case? What about the actual opening of the safe? Even though mine will be in my closet, I'm concerned that it would wake my wife up in the morning while I'm getting ready to leave for work. If I do find the buttons to be too loud, I'm considering just using the key to open it in the morning. I would just have to hide the key somewhere in my closet so I can get into every day. That's a little less secure, but I could manage.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I guess the audible feedback from the buttons would be considered pretty loud in the morning. It would be really easy to disconnect the "beeper" though. If I recall correctly you can unplug it, if not just snip the wires.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    It would be really easy to disconnect the "beeper" though. If I recall correctly you can unplug it, if not just snip the wires.

Or put a piece of tape over it like I do all my gun vault.
    I haven't seen where the speaker is at in any of the pictures I've looked at for any of the models. My guess is that it would be inside the lock housing. From the looks of it, you can remove that pretty easily (a screw in each of the 4 corners) to "adjust" the speaker. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy it before too long and see for myself.

Top Bottom