• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have a RIA 1911 with the parkerized finish that I've been thinking of refinishing. I'd really like tho have a nickel or hard chrome slide on it, but I don't know how it will turn out.
    Does anyone know anyplace I could get this done, or would it be possible to do myself? would it be possible to have it with a satin finish and polished sides, and would I need it polished before or after plating?
    Any guidance would be appreciated, even if its a "that's not possible"
    Thanks in advance!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thats a lot..... nickel plating is NOT something you will do at home. Its a very complicated and in depth process to get it done right. If it were me I would start with a high polish finish then tape off the areas you want to remain polished and bead blast the rest very carefully. Either way its not going to be cheap. several hundred I would guess.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I found a video online of a guy doing electroless nickel at home. honestly, I'd be fine with paying someone to do the work if I could get it done for around the $200 ish mark.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    that depends on the person doing the nickeling.... if they are the person who will stand behind their work, chances are they want to do all the prep as well.

I wouldn't nickel at home but that's just me. Its a cheap gun, so give it a shot.... worst case you can get it cerekoted if it doesn't turn out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Personally, I'd look for a gun with the finish I wanted, rather than put that much money into the cosmetics of an RIA gun. You will never get that money back out of that particular gun.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I was looking for other GI style two tone 1911s, and I'm just not having much come up. I feel like I got a decent deal on this, so I don't mind putting a little money towards it to get something I'll enjoy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As another way of accomplishing your task, can you put the couple hundred with your current gun and trade it in for something that you like the looks of better? I looked into a longer barrel and different sights for my BuckMark. It was cheaper to trade it on one one that came with that barrel and sights.

Top Bottom