• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    i work at a factory here in southern indiana, all employees were given a paper today that stated that the company can search our vehicles anytime they feel the need and with out cause.is this legal in indiana? btw i have yet to sign off and return to h&r the paper.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Depends on whether the employer is exempted from state law. I'd sign it, and lock my doors and keep everything out of plain sight. Would also use on of those windshield covers to block the sun and maybe tint the windows :)

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    Depends on whether the employer is exempted from state law. I'd sign it, and lock my doors and keep everything out of plain sight. Would also use on of those windshield covers to block the sun and maybe tint the windows :)

i do lock my doors and carry nothing i shouldn`t, but can they have me unlock my door and do a search? i`m thinking if i sign it i will just handwrite i won`t comply to a searck of my truck at the bottom. can i get fired for that?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indiana is an at-will employment state. They can fire you for most any reason, unless for protected class reasons (age, sex, race, religion, etc...)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As I understand it, here in Indiana, unless you are protected by a contract, you are employed "at will". There are certain things, protected by law, your employer may not fire you for but if they're smart, they'll simply fire you and give you no reason. So, whether or not firing you for not consenting to a search is legal, you may be fired and never know why.

It would be interesting...did they say acceptance of searches is a condition of employment? Or does the paper indirectly infer that by signing you agree to let your employer search your car?

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    Might this be a good excuse to walk or ride your bicycle to work? I suppose they could search your bike, but that seems pointless.

i drive 20 miles to work.. as for the paper, its mostly about a `new` drug policy that i have not problem with, just where it say they can search your car. bsicly i have to sign to say i have read the new policy and know about it, but in my mind with i sign i`m thinking its give the company the ok to do the search.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I would sign the 4th. Amendment as my name. Then say random is NOT probable cause. Then if possible look for a new job. Or booby trap the car to have the car alarm go off while the horn honks when they open the door.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I would sign the 4th. Amendment as my name. Then say random is NOT probable cause. Then if possible look for a new job. Or booby trap the car to have the car alarm go off while the horn honks when they open the door.

The problem is that the 4th Amendment deals with your rights against illegal search and seizure by the GOVERNMENT, not another person or a corporation. Once you drive your vehicle onto their property, you are pretty much giving them full authority over it. If you came to my house and I jumped into your car and started searching it, you would not be able to claim I was violating your 4th Amendment guaranteed rights. Something else might apply, but not the 4th. Same as the 2nd Amendment, I can say, "NO GUNS AT MY HOUSE", and you have the choice to leave your gun at home or don't come to my house.

There may be some employment-law in the US or Indiana that comes into play here so if it's a concern, and I would be concerned, then you might want to discuss with a lawyer. The issue is that unlike coming to MY house, going to work is not all that voluntary for most people.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    i drive 20 miles to work.. as for the paper, its mostly about a `new` drug policy that i have not problem with, just where it say they can search your car. bsicly i have to sign to say i have read the new policy and know about it, but in my mind with i sign i`m thinking its give the company the ok to do the search.

I used to work with a guy who rode his bike to work 20 miles each way. But for most of us mortals, that's a long ride especially in the winter!! You'd be in great shape though.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I was reading rhis last night. Would like one of the Attourney's on here to interpret it for us. As I readSec 2, it sounds like they cant prevent you, if it is in trunk, glove box, or out of plain site as long as vehicle is locked. Unless work is a prohibited site for firearms. Am I reading this correct?????

IC 34-28-7 Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to possession of a firearm or ammunition by an individual who may possess the firearm or ammunition legally. This chapter does not apply to the possession of a firearm, ammunition, or other device for which an individual must possess a valid federal firearms license issued under 18 U.S.C. 923 to possess the firearm, ammunition, or other device.
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to possession of a firearm or ammunition by an individual who may possess the firearm or ammunition legally. This chapter does not apply to the possession of a firearm, ammunition, or other device for which an individual must possess a valid federal firearms license issued under 18 U.S.C. 923 to possess the firearm, ammunition, or other device.
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) prohibits; or

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    i work at a factory here in southern indiana, all employees were given a paper today that stated that the company can search our vehicles anytime they feel the need and with out cause.is this legal in indiana? btw i have yet to sign off and return to h&r the paper.
    I didn't read anything in that regarding firearms. What is their policy pertaining to firearms on the premises?

Top Bottom