• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I realize it's generally a young person thing but I'm not sure HOW young. Anyone here done it or currently do it? There's a place in Noblesville that offers it. http://www.basefitness.org/class_times.html My 11 year old daughter wants to go. I called the business and left a message.

I had never heard about it until she did something in school. I think she just wants to be able to run up walls. :)

Here's a video I found if you are interested. There's probably better ones out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmyTaVSI9xQ&feature=fvw

YouTube - Parkour Training Part 1

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It is WAY cool stuff. We have had a Parkour instructor come in and assist in instructing a recruit class. I cannot recall his name. He was was helping instruct CrossFit, he is quite good at that as well. I really want to try Parkour out.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Parkour is the best way to stay in shape.
    And it is silly fun...and free. I don't/can't do the amazing moves you see in the videos below but play within my limits. I hope to be doing parkour my entire life even it it's just jumping up and down steps ...one at a time :):

old commercial featuring David Belle
    YouTube - David Belle - commercial for BBC

David Belle; originator of parkour.
    YouTube - best of David Belle´s videos

less parkour and more gymnastics but still amazing
    YouTube - Damien Walters 2010

Here's a local group from 2009
    YouTube - INPK National Jam

There are also nice videos of ladies doing parkour I can send/post if you're interested. If you like (or remember liking) climbing trees, fences, and running around than you are a natural. I climb fences and trees every chance I get. If you don't use it you loose it. ;)

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    If I recollect correctly it was used initially (by David Belles father) to train firefighters.

The health benefits are bountiful.
    You've got to build up to the bigger moves partly because it gives your bones time to
    adjust / become strong. Don't try/expect expect to to fly off buildings and land
    without injury for the first year of training. If anyone is interested I can explain
    more of this on a molecular level.

Anyway Kudos for your daughter and you. It is a worthy past time. :yesway:

Last edited:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The place in Noblesville isn't free. They charge $10.00 for 2 hours. I'm taking lil' Spas tomorrow to see if she likes it. She's going to take a friend with her.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks for posting this thread. I am going to have to look into it! I'm surprised with all of the b.s. training out there for LEO's, I have never heard of this. It would actually be useful!!!

Some of the people that run from us are or would be pretty good at this. It would be a heck of a lot easier to catch them if we at least did some training in this area. :twocents:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Insanely fun. i can't do all the crazy flips (well haven't tried cause frankly im a little scared), but i can do some fairly basic but also cool stuff. me and a couple buddies have dabbled in it.

its really fun to go out and try and find cool "lines" to run.

good stuff. amazing workout. first time i did it the next day my ENTIRE body was sore. :rockwoot:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    When I spoke with the gentleman from there, he said that in the class it ranges from age 9-54 and the 54 year old is a woman. I'm 42 and I was thinking I would probably hurt myself doing this. It's not like karate. Of course, I was around 35 when I started that.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, took our daughter to parkour tonight. She loved it. I thought for sure she wouldn't want to go back after seeing the training they were doing. She's not much into exercising. My joints couldn't handle all of that. It looked like fun. I did discover that 1) I actually know the owner of the facility. I never knew his last name. We used to spar together at karate when he visited our dojo and 2)they are starting a kickboxing class up. I LOVE kickboxing. Depending on our daughter's volleyball schedule, I may be doing that in a couple of weeks.

parkour is a lot of hard work and training. Looks like an awesome workout. If you are around the Noblesville area, I highly recommend b.a.s.e. fitness

Top Bottom