• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    Indiana Governor Daniels has signed into law HB 1065 which will protect gun owners from disciplinary action from their employers for having their firearms locked in their vehicles at the workplace and keeping government from confiscating guns during an emergency. http://www.indystar.com/article/20100318/NEWS05/3180511/Guns-at-work-bill-signed-by-Daniels

I want to thank all of the legislators who fought to get this bill passed and did so with true conviction. Also, we appreciate Ashley Varner, the NRA lobbyist, who spent days and weeks in the statehouse during all of the testimony in both houses on this bill and we appreciate the folks with the ISRPA who did a great deal of work in this matter, too.

Margie and I also want to thank all of you who responded to my e-mails and made those calls to the Governor requesting he sign this measure. This is truly STAYING UNITED. These things don't happen by laying up on the couch watching TV. Thanks to all of you.

There's no doubt that some will pick at the way this process worked or maybe that the bill doesn't go far enough or some other reason they just won't be satisfied. But let me point out that we could be dealing in a much different circumstance.

Two years ago there was a lot of gun owners who voted for Jill Long Thompson, the Democrat gubernatorial candidate who ran against Gov. Daniels. She would not have served gun owners well. As a congresswoman she voted for HR 1025 the Brady Handgun Bill in 1993. If she would now be our governor, I don't think we'd be seeing HB 1065 signed into law.

Some folks just don't take into account that though everything is not perfect we can sure make it a lot worse. The folks in Illinois in right are now just trying to get a law passed to get a carry license.

Getting the carry to the workplace and protecting the personal information of gun owners from the media and others who have no need for that passed into law, I'd say that was a good days work.

Great job tigers!!

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    :rockwoot::rockwoot:

MY MAN MITCH!!!

Dear Mr.Sporter

Thank you for your letter and for sharing your thoughts with the Governor. He appreciates the time you took to share your views on this subject.

House Bill 1065, various provisions concerning firearms, passed the Indiana General Assembly and was signed by Governor Daniels. This bill will go into effect on July 1, 2010.

Governor Daniels statement regarding HEA 1065:
    "Considering the clear language of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and the even stronger language of Article 1 Section Thirty-Two of the Indiana Constitution, protecting these rights as provided in HEA 1065 is appropriate. I also am compelled to give great weight to the overwhelming consensus of both Houses of the General Assembly as they passed this bipartisan statute. The law does contain ambiguities that the General Assembly may wish to refine at some future date, to avoid unnecessary litigation, but the understandable concerns raised against the bill do not suffice to justify a trespass on a fundamental right so expressly protected by our founding documents."

The 2010 Bill Watch on the governor's website has been established. We will continue to update the website as bills are received and/or action is taken by the governor. You may view this webpage at Governor Daniels: 2010 Bill Watch.

Please be assured that Governor Daniels monitors all legislation very closely as it proceeds through the legislative process and thoroughly reviews all bills that are brought to him for approval or veto.

Thank you for your citizenship.

Sincerely,

Kristen Kane
    Constituent Services
    Office of the Governor

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great news! Glad to hear that when gun owners voice their opinions, and use good logic, our legislators can in fact listen and act upon our requests.

Good job to all involved with making this a reality! :ingo:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    IM THRILLED!!! the employer part doesnt affect me (i dont work in Indiana), plus my employer is pro-gun especially since they give us weapons :)

The part im the most excited about is the disaster part, that will not allow cops or the government in indiana to take our guns away or the right to buy them in times of disaster. this is AWESOME!!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! Thanks to everyone who made the calls, emails, etc to get this passed.

I would like to draw that same attention to a Bill introduced into the U.S. Senate by Senators McCain and Lieberman, in short called the "enemy beligerants bill" that also threatens constitutional right to a CIVILIAN not MILITARY trial on U.S. soil. this bill is SCARY!!! please look it up on here or google and call your Senators to get this bill tabled before it hits committee.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    IM THRILLED!!! the employer part doesnt affect me (i dont work in Indiana), plus my employer is pro-gun especially since they give us weapons :)

I hope you're not referring to the military... ya know, the ones who take away firearms on post and lock them in an armory.

Or have they started allowing soldiers to carry when off-duty?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What? Oh NO!!
    After July 1,2010 hundreds, maybe thousands, of Indiana employees will get angry with their supervisors, go out to their cars, get their guns, and KILL EVERYBODY IN SIGHT!!!

Along about October, maybe we should all write letters to the editors of our local papers pointing out that the above DIDN'T happen.

Doug

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    My employer changed their policy several months ago, allowing us to keep firearms in our vehicles given that they are out of sight and locked away. They must have seen this coming.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    Just received the following statement in an e mail from Mitch's office:

"House Bill 1065, various provisions concerning firearms, passed the Indiana General Assembly and was signed by Governor Daniels. This bill will go into effect on July 1, 2010. "

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    yeah, seeing how all the jags up in my neck of the woods voted against it, except Mrvan, i'll be voting accordinly and email their offices to express my condolences and give them the filing instructions for unemployment. meanwhile, i'll be securing my pistole' in my truck as usual. thanks for all the emails and support INGO, we've made a difference!

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Anybody have a link of the final wording of the final LAW (Yes!!!)? Did the "academic" admendment make it in (I work part time at a post secondary institution)?

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Anybody have a link of the final wording of the final LAW (Yes!!!)? Did the "academic" admendment make it in (I work part time at a post secondary institution)?

yes, unfortunately it did. Enrolled Act, House Bill 1065

IC 34-28-7-2(b)(5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));

The next law to work on is guns @ state funded universities.

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Heck yea!!!

Glad to see one go our way. My man Mitch. I hope everyone remembers this when he runs for POTUS :patriot:

Top Bottom