• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    Important Gun Bills on the Move in the Indiana Senate!
    Please Contact Your State Senator!

On Thursday, February 18, House Bill 1065 successfully passed second reading and will now head to the Senate floor for third and final reading early next week! The Senate also passed House Bill 1068 on third reading by a unanimous vote (48 to 0) and will now head back to the House for concurrence.

HB 1065, would prevent state or local government authorities from confiscating lawfully owned firearms during declared states of emergency, such as occurred in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. Moreover, this bill would also prohibit employers from firing employees who safely and lawfully store their firearms in their privately-owned locked vehicles while on an employer’s property. HB 1065 was authored by State Representative Bob Bischoff (D-68) and sponsored by State Senators Johnny Nugent (R-43) and Brent Steele (R-44).
    The Senate also voted to block attempts by big businesses to water-down HB 1065 which would have created large loopholes that would allow businesses to exempt themselves from the Parking Lot legislation.

Please contact State Senate President David Long (R-16) and thank him for his leadership and efforts in defeating the exemption amendments. Contact information can be found here. Also please contact your State Senator and politely encourage them to support HB 1065 when it comes up for third reading. Your State Senator’s contact information can be found here.

HB 1068, sponsored by State Representative Peggy Welch (D-60) and State Senator Greg Walker (R-41), would limit access to the Indiana Right-to-Carry permit list in order to protect the privacy of law-abiding citizens. If passed, this legislation would make Right-to-Carry permit information confidential and would prohibit the publication of that information.

Please contact your State Senator today and thank them for their support of HB 1068. Your State Senator’s contact information can be found here.

Hudson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Peggy Welch rocks. No, really. She is a Democrat in Bloomington and she jumped on this issue.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Hudson -
    I happen to agree with you. And I wrote her an email to that effect. I am not in her district, and I am somewhere between a libertarian and a conservative - more towards libertarian. Not the ideal demographic for her, marketing wise. That said, I would consider voting for her should she run for statewide office. Why?

She saw through all of the hype on the issue of the License to Carry a Handgun database. The bottom line issue is simply one of privacy and common decency. I went school at the University of California at Davis (a town and University VERY similar to Bloomington). I appreciate the courage that it took to do what was RIGHT and DECENT over what was politically expedient. That kind of courage is what is needed most right now amongst our leaders. That is the kind of HONEST bipartisanship that is needed. NOT the fake bipartisanship done "for the cameras". The kind of crap that Obama and Reid and Pelosi are spewing... And in fairness, many Republicans are too... Even though they may be "on my side" of an issue right now, and that may be a good thing, it is without question that some of them are doing the "right thing for the wrong reason". And it's only fair to admit that.

I believe that choices such as the one that Ms Welch made demonstrate character, and that is to be commended and supported. And I told her so.

While we may lean libertarian or conservative in our views in many cases, it's my opinion that we need to encourage people of all stripes that show the courage to do the right thing under pressure. That will count for much more and lean towards a better future for our country.

Hudson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You are spot on

For me, this was primarily a privacy issue. I have no problem with License to Carry Handgun data being published as long as it does not come close to personal identification.

Welch showed genuine leadership in this. You know, it is so rare (or I am so cynical) that it was stunning to see. You are correct – this required courage and demonstrated character. What really jazzed me about Welch in this was she is a democrat. I would like to think that in the end, it came down to her just being a ‘real person’ and saying, “Hey, . . they shouldn’t be printing that.”

This was so damn gratifying to me I sent her a campaign donation. And I did notice that the only sound coming from Steve Hogan or Joyce Poling on the issue was that of crickets.

Top Bottom